Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He had an awful year last year and looks like a beanpole. 13 goals last season. He’s like 175 pounds and 6’4”. Callan needs to whoop his ass into shape.

Or he could wait a year, fall to the Avs in the 2nd or 3rd and then pick up his game hahahaha

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Not sure where to put this, but Quinn Hughes is apparently returning to Michigan next season. Has Tkachuk made any decision on a return to BU?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Not sure where to put this, but Quinn Hughes is apparently returning to Michigan next season. Has Tkachuk made any decision on a return to BU?

Not that I know of. Perhaps he's waiting to see whats going to happen with Karlsson, Stone, Ceci and Duchene this off-season. If it's going to be a very rough season, he's probably better off at BU.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Good save but Bowers made it pretty easy for him. Bowers looks like a good skater from the little I saw last year and even in that one highlight.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Good save but Bowers made it pretty easy for him. Bowers looks like a good skater from the little I saw last year and even in that one highlight.

Yeah, I like Bowers, and it's summer so the hands might not be there completely, but that was not a good highlight for him in terms of showing off his skill.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, I like Bowers, and it's summer so the hands might not be there completely, but that was not a good highlight for him in terms of showing off his skill.

Nah if anything it was a terrible pass back by the other guy. Bowers had to reach waaaay back just to get anything on it. Looked to me like he wasn't actually expecting the pass back as he was driving the net. He opened himself up for the pass to keep the goalie guessing but I dont think he was actually expecting it, hence why he was driving towards the net and not slowing down, and why he delayed an extra little bit before making the first pass.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nah if anything it was a terrible pass back by the other guy. Bowers had to reach waaaay back just to get anything on it. Looked to me like he wasn't actually expecting the pass back as he was driving the net. He opened himself up for the pass to keep the goalie guessing but I dont think he was actually expecting it, hence why he was driving towards the net and not slowing down, and why he delayed an extra little bit before making the first pass.

The pass was fine IMO, Bowers just didn't stop at the post or slow down. I would have liked to see him show better instincts and skill on that play to finish, but like I said it's only one play and it's summer, so there's not a lot to read into it. It just happens to come on the heels of people saying he's the Avs best shot at a #2C. I like Bowers game a lot, but we might need to pump the brakes a little bit on that, until he at least has one pro seasons under his belt.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The pass was fine IMO, Bowers just didn't stop at the post or slow down. I would have liked to see him show better instincts and skill on that play to finish, but like I said it's only one play and it's summer, so there's not a lot to read into it. It just happens to come on the heels of people saying he's the Avs best shot at a #2C. I like Bowers game a lot, but we might need to pump the brakes a little bit on that, until he at least has one pro seasons under his belt.

Outside of Jost he is without question the organizations best shot at a 2C. Hell even with Jost in the equation he's got a better chance.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Outside of Jost he is without question the organizations best shot at a 2C. Hell even with Jost in the equation he's got a better chance.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to draw a big distinction between Kamenev and Bowers in that regard right now.

Bowers certainly displays some potential to fill that role, but he also hasn't played one pro game yet. An ability to have chemistry with top 6 NHL wingers, and translate their skill to a top 6 role in the NHL will be what earns them a role as a consistent #2C or not.

I think both have a better shot at locking down a #3C role, with an outside chance at #2C. A lot will depend on if Jost can lock down that role or not.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Kärpät is loaning Justus Annunen to Hermes in the FIN-2 (Mestis). Standard move for prospect goalies. Don't expect him to play in the FEL over Vehviläinen and Rynnäs. These guys usually get one or so FEL game, together with a few Jr. A club (U20) games depending on scheduling and whatnot.

Now, comparing to Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen's last year, Annunen will be on a much weaker team, in fact one that had to play to avoid relegation, while UPL's team made the playoffs. That said, UPL's team had current FEL goalies Christian Heljanko, and Stars prospect Markus Ruusu, as well as another minor league goaltender split time with him, so UPL only saw 24 games. Of the four, Heljanko had a very good season and found himself in the FEL at the season's end. Annunen seems to have much less competition at this point in time, as the young minor-leaguer he's currently set to split with obviously had a very poor season with the second-to-last finishing team.

Last season, Annunen's upcoming team had no visiting reinforcements in net or elsewhere during the season, and I don't expect this to change as the team will likely be just as bad as before. What this means is, Annunen should be seeing a lot of rubber, which is good, but expect his numbers to be average at best.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I hope Kovalenko has an out clause on that contract. I'd like to see him in NA before the end of that contract.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I hope Kovalenko has an out clause on that contract. I'd like to see him in NA before the end of that contract.

I'd say odds are very high he doesn't. This is a big part of the reason Kovalenko slipped. Teams knew there would be difficulty getting him over from Russia, and it certainly wouldn't be quick with his dad's position in Russian hockey.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It almost certainly would, but we can afford to slow burn him there for a couple years to let him develop, and then see where things stand in year three. As we all know it's not a guarantee that young players get a lot of PT in the KHL.

Reactions: Avalanche

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'd say odds are very high he doesn't. This is a big part of the reason Kovalenko slipped. Teams knew there would be difficulty getting him over from Russia, and it certainly wouldn't be quick with his dad's position in Russian hockey.
You don't think so? Even after his post draft interview said he was definitely interested in coming to play in the NHL? I would think he would have left himself an out after making statements like that.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You don't think so? Even after his post draft interview said he was definitely interested in coming to play in the NHL? I would think he would have left himself an out after making statements like that.

Andrei is the chairman of the KHLPA... because of that Nikolai has a significant presence there already and some expectations on him. I'd say odds are high they will want 2 solid KHL seasons out of him and since this is a 2 way deal, a year mixed between MHL and KHL and then 2 in the KHL is probably the expectation from this. I don't think there is doubt he will come over eventually, but he might be 22 or 23 before he does.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Andrei is the chairman of the KHLPA... because of that Nikolai has a significant presence there already and some expectations on him. I'd say odds are high they will want 2 solid KHL seasons out of him and since this is a 2 way deal, a year mixed between MHL and KHL and then 2 in the KHL is probably the expectation from this. I don't think there is doubt he will come over eventually, but he might be 22 or 23 before he does.
That makes sense. The idea that he came all the way to attend the draft and Avs development camp when a lot of Russians don't (Shvyrev didn't, after all) is encouraging though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad