Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
There is pretty good reading on The Athletic about Shane Bowers by Ryan Clark who seem to be top writer for The Athletic Denver. There is also quote from Makar about him which worries me a bit:
“I looked him up a little bit and figured he was something pretty special,” Makar told The Athletic. “Then when I got the opportunity to play him, I could tell they got a pretty good player in that trade.”

Right after draft he said he doesn't know much about Avalanche and didn't look really excited that AVS drafted him in my opinion. Now he reffered team which drafted him as "they" not "us". Maybe I read too much into it but he doesn't look overly attached to the team. Maybe he said "they" not us not to mix NCAA teams. I hope he really signs ELC after next season because it could be very dangerous for Avalanche if he decide to plays third year in NCAA and then we could face August 15th 2020 deadline as pretty dangerous date for Avalanche.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bowers definitely is my most intriguing prospect for next year. I've already said my opinion about him and I suggest next year when he gets tougher minutes should give us an idea what player he's going to be projected to be. It was just interesting to note that I read on the prospect forum that Hockey East had a pretty brutal year talent wise. The teams dropped from a .600 winning percentage from two years ago to .400 winning percentage just last year. It would make sense why his numbers were a little bit better than we all thought he was going to be when he was draft.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
There is pretty good reading on The Athletic about Shane Bowers by Ryan Clark who seem to be top writer for The Athletic Denver. There is also quote from Makar about him which worries me a bit:
“I looked him up a little bit and figured he was something pretty special,” Makar told The Athletic. “Then when I got the opportunity to play him, I could tell they got a pretty good player in that trade.”

Right after draft he said he doesn't know much about Avalanche and didn't look really excited that AVS drafted him in my opinion. Now he reffered team which drafted him as "they" not "us". Maybe I read too much into it but he doesn't look overly attached to the team. Maybe he said "they" not us not to mix NCAA teams. I hope he really signs ELC after next season because it could be very dangerous for Avalanche if he decide to plays third year in NCAA and then we could face August 15th 2020 deadline as pretty dangerous date for Avalanche.

Makar was almost as happy as Duchene was when we drafted Matty lol.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

What a great interview. I loved to hear what he had to say about the difference between the Nashville and Colorado organizations. I truly hope he makes the team and sticks there. I honestly don't know much about him, but if he's even halfway decent defensively and on faceoffs he could be a solid 4C and maybe transition into more minutes as he gains Bednar's trust.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Glad to hear Kamenev has no intention on going back to Russia and that the prior report on that subject was just rumors and not coming from him. I hope he has a great season. Seems like a great kid.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good interview. I think he’ll be a really solid player but I just can’t figure out where he fits on this team.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Good interview. I think he’ll be a really solid player but I just can’t figure out where he fits on this team.

Mini Soda on the 4th line being groomed to replace Soda-classic when the time comes :dunno:

I'm more concerned with what happens if he doesn't look ready and doesn't show the progress to convince that he will soon be. He's not learning anything new in the AHL, so sending him there would be pointless. So what do we do if he's still not quite looking NHL-ready?

If that happens I think going back to the KHL to develop his game some more before trying the NHL again might be his best option not to stagnate completely :-|

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Mini Soda on the 4th line being groomed to replace Soda when the time comes :dunno:

I'm more concerned with what happens if he doesn't look ready and doesn't show the progress to convince that he will soon be. He's not learning anything new in the AHL, so sending him there would be pointless. So what do we do if he's still not quite looking NHL-ready?

If that happens I think going back to the KHL to develop his game some more before trying the NHL again might be his best option not to stagnate completely :-|

That really seems like the only spot. I'm not sure playing less than 10 mins/gm next to Nieto and Wilson is great for him but it's better than the AHL or press box. Normally I'd prefer top line minutes in the AHL over that type of role but like you said, there's nothing left for him there.

Reactions: Murzu

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Mini Soda on the 4th line being groomed to replace Soda when the time comes :dunno:

Yeah hopefully he isn't just completely out of the running by the end of camp. That's going to be his best chance of starting off on equal footing with the rest of the young guys.

I could see him anywhere from #2C out of camp to playing LW in the bottom nine or the #4C. At least we know that he'll get a long look based on what Sakic said.

Reactions: MarkT and cgf

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Bowers article on NHL.com

Hepple: "We liked him his draft year, that was the one thing. We knew we weren't going to get him where we were picking, he was going to be gone before our second pick. We liked him, so when we got him in the trade it was a plus, it was a bonus. To see him now, look bigger, look stronger, playing at BU getting more confident. I am looking for big things from him, it's exciting to see him here with us now."

Bowers: "Hopefully with them being young, I will be able to make a jump here sooner than later."

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bowers article on NHL.com

Hepple: "We liked him his draft year, that was the one thing. We knew we weren't going to get him where we were picking, he was going to be gone before our second pick. We liked him, so when we got him in the trade it was a plus, it was a bonus. To see him now, look bigger, look stronger, playing at BU getting more confident. I am looking for big things from him, it's exciting to see him here with us now."

Bowers: "Hopefully with them being young, I will be able to make a jump here sooner than later."

Hepple really seems to like Bowers. You could just tell when he was talking about him in one of the videos on the Avs site. Now the Avs have both guys they liked with him and Timmins.

Reactions: Pokecheque

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

QQeZcZL.gif

tenor.gif

hd7rC6V.gif

giphy.gif

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Ya Kamenev is likely our 4th line C at the moment. I'd like to see him get some 2nd unit PP minutes just to increase his minutes and confidence.

1st PP:
Mack - Landy - Rants - Jost - Barrie

2nd PP:
Kerfoot - Kamenev - Ghetto - Girard - Zadorov/EJ

1st PK:

Soda - Calvert - Nemeth - EJ

2nd PK:
Compher - Nieto - Cole - Zads

Gives 11/12 forwards extra time using their strengths. Wilson is the only guy not playing on special teams. Of course Soda will likely be on the 2nd PP unit though.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'd much rather have him in the AHL to get big minutes and PP time, but I could see him jumping straight to the NHL.

Same here. I'd like to see him take the same path as Rantanen. Let him develop his game for a year or even two in the AHL and bring him up when he is truly NHL ready. No need to rush this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad