League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Tampa says Hedman wont play the rest of the regular season. So, it appears that whatever happened to him was more than stitches to the mouth or loss of some teeth.

Ouch. I just saw a tweet about Cooper saying they are hopeful that Hedman can play at the start of the playoffs. Won't confirm or deny that it's concussion related. That really sucks.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ouch. I just saw a tweet about Cooper saying they are hopeful that Hedman can play at the start of the playoffs. Won't confirm or deny that it's concussion related. That really sucks.

I don't cheer for or hope for players to get hurt. After what happened to Kempny, lets just say this is one of those "what goes around, comes around" moments.

Reactions: CapsCrazyX17

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Never wish for head injuries... Even on your most hated enemies. That's life altering..

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Go Canes!!! Go Bruins!!!

Also I am up at 12:10am just to see if Draisaitl scores a goal. :laugh: I swear to god it feels like the Oilers have ten games left. :(

Reactions: Portable Mink

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Jackets have been on a roll lately, how many shutouts do they have in the past few games?

Granite, it’s not playoff Bob but should we be a little worried about them?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hope Hedman is ok to go for the playoffs. He is the best dman in the NHL right now and will be missed.

I don't..... want him to risk it, and rush back too soon ;). He should probably use a fish bowl when he does come back.

I am not usually a member of the equipment police, ginormous goalie pillows and hard shell everything aside, but wonder if Hagelin's upward tilted visor is more dangerous, than protective. I wonder if he uses a skate sharpener on it.

images

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuzy is awesome and should be our team spokesperson. I cannot find the Kuzy quote on Yanni and the ENG if anyone can recall it add it for the record.

It's funny what can set hockey players off. Yanni going all out to get an ENG with 2 seconds left, apparently served as motivation to our boys.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I don't..... want him to risk it, and rush back too soon ;). He should probably use a fish bowl when he does come back.

I am not usually a member of the equipment police, ginormous goalie pillows and hard shell everything aside, but wonder if Hagelin's upward tilted visor is more dangerous, than protective. I wonder if he uses a skate sharpener on it.

images
I think the thought process is that it doesn't obscure you're vision when you look down to collect the puck, but it likely will catch a piece of a puck coming at you.

Most guys have their visors loose enough they can actually swivel them up and down in the game, Carlson is another offender of this.

Hagelin usually has his visor sitting so that it protects against straight shots, but not ricochets. To each their own, in his defense a visor doesn't always stop ricochets and most damage is done by straight shots.

D0HL4ZRXgAA2uAW-610x400.jpg

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Kuzy is awesome and should be our team spokesperson. I cannot find the Kuzy quote on Yanni and the ENG if anyone can recall it add it for the record.

It's funny what can set hockey players off. Yanni going all out to get an ENG with 2 seconds left, apparently served as motivation to our boys.
Oshie had words with Gourde after that and it seemed more like a vet telling a young guy that you don't do that type of thing. From what I could tell Gourde seemed to take it in stride.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oshie had words with Gourde after that and it seemed more like a vet telling a young guy that you don't do that type of thing. From what I could tell Gourde seemed to take it in stride.

Took in stride, but the motivation was in place. Jensen Orlov and another Cap went after him, right before the Cernak De-Toofing. Which I suspect he could blame Gourde for that, if not he and their other little punk Cirelli, trying to take a run at Orpik. Respect Thy Elders....ya toothpick greenhorn

Last edited:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Took in stride, but the motivation was in place. Jensen Orlov and another Cap went after him, right before the Cernak De-Toofing. Which I suspect he could blame Gourde for that, if not he and their other little punk Cirelli, trying to take a run at Orpik. Respect Thy Elders....ya toothpick greenhorn
The code is still the code.

Like that guy in Florida who got his head beaten off by the Bruins after a dirty hit earlier this season. He served as suspension, he publicly apologized, and still he had to give his pound of flesh in a fight once Boston came to town.

In the Chel apparently acknowledging your sins does not absolve you of them

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The code is still the code.

Like that guy in Florida who got his head beaten off by the Bruins after a dirty hit earlier this season. He served as suspension, he publicly apologized, and still he had to give his pound of flesh in a fight once Boston came to town.

In the Chel apparently acknowledging your sins does not absolve you of them

As a fan of 40+ years, I have to admit that I didn't know hustling for an ENG with 2 seconds left was frowned upon. Even if late in the year, and it pots as a 20th goal which we figure is worth money on an upcoming contract.

He is now forever a sworn enemy. Whatever Oshie says, goes.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
As a fan of 40+ years, I have to admit that I didn't know hustling for an ENG with 2 seconds left was frowned upon. Even if late in the year, and it pots as a 20th goal which we figure is worth money on an upcoming contract.

He is now forever a sworn enemy. Whatever Oshie says, goes.
I think it's a borrowed page from the curmudgery of baseballs unwritten rules.

To be honest though, it instantly rubbed me the wrong way. No one likes to be the team where stats are padded (see NJD circa 2018) so it's why you see more often than not even with an ENG teams generally just run the clock out when up two and less than 30 seconds.

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
If a division winner plays a non division winner with a better record in the Conference Finals, who gets home ice? The team with the higher “seed” or the better record?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

To be honest though, it instantly rubbed me the wrong way. No one likes to be the team wear stats are padded (see NJD circa 2018) so it's why you see more often than not even with an ENG teams generally just run the clock out when up two and less than 30 seconds.

Ovi is chasing the most sacred record in hockey, TGO's total goals, but he still passes up to teammates when he has clear shots at ENGs. Ovi gets the code and doesn't have a selfish bone in his body. Some punk spazzing out to get his 20th, with 3 seconds left in an already 2 goal game, that's just bush league. Oshie was right.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If a division winner plays a non division winner with a better record in the Conference Finals, who gets home ice? The team with the higher “seed” or the better record?

Division winner always. Seeding does not reset after any rounds until the finals I think.

Please see my response below before ridiculing me!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

To be honest though, it instantly rubbed me the wrong way. No one likes to be the team wear stats are padded (see NJD circa 2018) so it's why you see more often than not even with an ENG teams generally just run the clock out when up two and less than 30 seconds.

If that was Ovi going for 50, I would be bummed if he didn't want to insult the opposition.

A fine example hockey players set, for kids on the playground :laugh:

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Division winner always. Seeding does not reset after any rounds until the finals I think.

100% wrong. Dumbass!

Per NHL.com

In the First Round, the division winner with the best record in each conference will be matched against the wild card with the lesser record; the wild card with the better record will play the other division winner.
The teams finishing second and third in each division will meet in the First Round within the bracket headed by their respective division winner. First-round winners within each bracket play one another in the Second Round to determine the four participants in the Conference Finals.
Home-ice advantage through the first two rounds goes to the team that placed higher in the regular-season standings.

In the Conference Final and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record, regardless of the teams' final standing in their respective divisions.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I don’t think it’s as much the time but the attitude. Usually you see the other team hold it once the losing team stops skating. If we call uncle don’t then show us up by racing down ice showing up guys not trying. Kinda the same deal in basketball. If we stop fouling then dribble out the clock, don’t run past me for a layup.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So if we summarize the seedings, like this:

Division title buys you home ice for 2 rounds.
Conf title buys you home ice for 3 rounds.
Pres Trophy buys you home ice for all four rounds.

Makes sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad