League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
It seems like it will be Cbus in the 1st round.
Pittsburgh can lose 1 game and still will control their destiny for Metro3

The only chance to avoid Cbus, is that Carolina wins against Toronto (TML will be on the 2nd part of a B2B) and then wins against Devils and Flyers.
And we need in the same time a loss for Cbus against Boston.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Don’t have time to go through the longer one but literally the first summary paragraph contradicts itself:

There is evidence of association between heading and abnormal brain structure, but the data are still preliminary. Also, some studies have suggested that subconcussive head impacts, as heading, could cause cognitive impairment, whereas others have not corroborated this finding. Questions persist as to whether or not heading is deleterious to cognitive functioning. Further studies, especially with longitudinal designs, are needed to clarify the clinical significance of heading as a cause of brain injury and to identify risk factors. Such investigations might contribute to the establishment of safety guidelines that could help to minimize the risk of possible adverse effects of soccer on brain structure and function.

Again, I got back to my previous point in that it’s reallt tough to say that heading the ball is what lead to CTE in the first study you posted. There’s too many outside factors that could also induce head trauma. Playing other sports, playing as a kid and bumping your head, car accidents, falling, hell even texting and running into things has become more common. I don’t see how they can say for certain that it’s from heading the ball unless they have a super controlled study where they only follow children that only play soccer and document any other head trauma outside of organized team sports.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I started paying attention to the Caps in '02 with the Jagr trade. Became a true fan after the Ovie draft. I've heard stories about the Caps of old like Dale Hunter. But most of my memories of tough Caps guys are those of like Donald Brashear or John Erskine. Bleh

We had some soft years, but before and after that, we were well stacked. Not only did we fight, we seemed to have very good fighters.

Our 89-90 team was stacked. Scroll down to the stats and sort by PIMs. 9 guys over 100 PIMS. I think May lead the league that year. 2 our of roughest players didn't get 100 - Nick Kypreos and Rob Murray.

1989-90 Washington Capitals Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
We had some soft years, but before and after that, we were well stacked. Not only did we fight, we seemed to have very good fighters.

Our 89-90 team was stacked. Scroll down to the stats and sort by PIMs. 9 guys over 100 PIMS. I think May lead the league that year. 2 our of roughest players didn't get 100 - Nick Kypreos and Rob Murray.

1989-90 Washington Capitals Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Wow... May had 339 PIM...

It's so hard for me to imagine May like that since I'm so used to the nice guy on the TV broadcast.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wow... May had 339 PIM...

It's so hard for me to imagine May like that since I'm so used to the nice guy on the TV broadcast.

May was a very technical fighter, as he wasn't the biggest guy. He knew the code, and wasn't dirty in the least. He would usually jersey grab with his left, and then throw a few soft rights, and then switch it up; jersey grab with the right and then unload huge left bombs.

You can kind of see it here.... one of my fav fights of his that I cannot find, was vs Basil McRae - North Stars March 18 1990. With that fight, broke the Caps single season record.

Alan May vs. Lyndon Byers, December 09, 1989 - Washington Capitals vs. Boston Bruins

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I dunno about falls which are a rare thing even though it seems every kid has one or two or more... but there have been studies recently which show that kids who play tackle football before the age of 12 end up with higher rates of depression, ADD, mood swings and other concussion related symptoms than their peers who did not play tackle football. The evidence seems to show that the brain support infrastructure is more susceptible to being damaged in youth than it is when the brain/body is more fully mature - factoring in that the hits the kids take aren't as violent yet as they are in HS, college and the NFL.

Youth Football Linked to Earlier Brain Problems | Research

Here is one study which documents visually through scans the physical change in the brain structure for these kids. It's pretty scary how little we know about what this does long term, but it is measurable the changes it causes in the brain.

Youth football changes nerve fibers in brain

I don't have time to read the study but do they also factor upbringing into the equation? IIRC (can't look up now) the CC or a similar structure has also been shown to change as a result of early childhood emotional/economic/environmental stressors and trauma (essentially PTSD). IOW are these all kids from good, nurturing, well-off homes or are they a bunch of kids from broken homes and bad neighborhoods? A lot of upper-middle class parents won't let their kids play football anymore, so the pool being studied might already be affected.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
May was a very technical fighter, as he wasn't the biggest guy. He knew the code, and wasn't dirty in the least. He would usually jersey grab with his left, and then throw a few soft rights, and then switch it up; jersey grab with the right and then unload huge left bombs.

You can kind of see it here.... one of my fav fights of his that I cannot find, was vs Basil McRae - North Stars

Alan May vs. Lyndon Byers, December 09, 1989 - Washington Capitals vs. Boston Bruins

Old Byers always seemed to take a beating. Good ole days.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Tampa says Hedman wont play the rest of the regular season. So, it appears that whatever happened to him was more than stitches to the mouth or loss of some teeth.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why exactly should we try to avoid Columbus?

Because they are a team in the playoffs and the Caps can only lose to a team in the playoffs. I have my preferences for who I would like to see the Caps play, but the flame out fear is gone.

The last few years the Caps acted in regular season games like they knew they would win and they never seemed to get pressured by being behind. After last season I get the sense that they now have that in the playoffs. They trust themselves. So, I do

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

You can kind of see it here.... one of my fav fights of his that I cannot find, was vs Basil McRae - North Stars March 18 1990. With that fight, broke the Caps single season record.

True fact: Alan May and I shared a hair stylist in the mid 90s, but we never crossed paths at her shop. She would talk about him all the time but never schedule us back to back.

His hair still looks perfect. Mine not so much!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't have time to read the study but do they also factor upbringing into the equation? IIRC (can't look up now) the CC or a similar structure has also been shown to change as a result of early childhood emotional/economic/environmental stressors and trauma (essentially PTSD). IOW are these all kids from good, nurturing, well-off homes or are they a bunch of kids from broken homes and bad neighborhoods? A lot of upper-middle class parents won't let their kids play football anymore, so the pool being studied might already be affected.

I haven't read the whole study either but it does admit to having some selection bias, most importantly that these are all deceased players (so mostly older) and their families volunteered into the study based on them having symptoms associated with brain problems, and people who had no symptoms were likely not included in the study. However the whole point of the study was to determine how the age at which one starts tackle football relates to the onset of symptoms, and a clear link was established. The earlier the player started playing tackle football, the earlier they started having symptoms.

..found that each year younger that athletes began to play tackle football correlated with an earlier onset of cognitive problems by 2.4 years, and behavioral and mood problems by 2.5 years.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
True fact: Alan May and I shared a hair stylist in the mid 90s, but we never crossed paths at her shop. She would talk about him all the time but never schedule us back to back.

True May fact here:
One game at cap centre, pregame warm ups, two puck bunnies had a big ole sign held up for him, it read-

Alan May is so hot he melts the ice.

I cannot remember if he saw it or not.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I haven't read the whole study either but it does admit to having some selection bias, most importantly that these are all deceased players (so mostly older) and their families volunteered into the study based on them having symptoms associated with brain problems, and people who had no symptoms were likely not included in the study. However the whole point of the study was to determine how the age at which one starts tackle football relates to the onset of symptoms, and a clear link was established. The earlier the player started playing tackle football, the earlier they started having symptoms.

That also introduces the complicating factors of insufficient care & treatment based on outmoded standards, inferior protective equipment, likelihood they played while concussed, etc.

So with that in mind, when discussing a disorder/disease that's cumulative when not addressed, and given they were likely in several at-risk categories (internal and external), I would expect to find a direct relationship between damage and duration of exposure.

I would also guess many were wearing helmets from the 50s and 60s when they started, as even in the 70s kids leagues were probably still using old equipment and not NFL standard. Those old helmets were just thin plastic shells with a few foam bits in them at the ears and crown (or maybe internal straps) to hold them on against a chin strap. Hell, even many pros still used the older helmets in the 70s.

1187306_f520.jpg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Anyway, bringing it back to hockey, we can't readily say that fighting is going to lead to the same outcomes in all people. A bloody nose or broken tooth is not the same as a concussion from being plowed into the boards. I think the league can take clear action against the latter but not the former, as we stand now.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

I mean, he does have perfect hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad