League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
:laugh:

Fair enough. They've played well of late though.

My take is that both Carolina and CBJ have issues. Carolina will be just happy to be there. CBJ will be carrying that weight of pressure. That will make them both desperate and fragile. Which is why I prefer to play wet behind the ears Carolina. Pittsburgh is just more of the same rivalry shit and asking for that instead is silly. It elevates the stakes.

I still think it will be Carolina if only because I am counting on being able to go see games 3 and 4

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Is there any scenario that we can tank and have an assumed easier path? I think CBus will be tougher than Carolina, significantly. One of these years, CBus is going to win a series.

Way to go Bowey! There is a new cop in town in old Detroit...

giphy.gif

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I’m not worried about anyone, we have to play the best to win again. Might as well be battle tested and earn it. Caps are built tough and rugged, they have just done all of this, the experience is fresh.

We will have to win from the net out again, Holtby will need to be on and everyone will have to pull their weight.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Caps are getting the Pens or the Jackets, that much seems clear. :(

95% sure it's the Jackets, cause I stand by the Pens won't lose another game this season.

I do see one scenario: In their next games the Jackets lose to Bruins, Canes lose to Leafs, Habs manage to eek out a point (or two) against the Bolts, were us folding to the Habs would be VERY helpful. ;)

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Considering the Red Wings are in the running to be bottom 3 (for the draft odds) - they are playing like they want to win. Looks like they'll beat Boston.
If that effort continues they might give the Pens a good showing - but I doubt they'd beat them twice anyway.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Man did we ever put a dent in Carolina’s stock after eviscerating Philly’s chances a week or two before.

The Bus is coming to Washington R1. Book it.

It’s a pretty lousy draw, but on the plus side it’ll be a damned fine series.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Man did we ever put a dent in Carolina’s stock after eviscerating Philly’s chances a week or two before.

The Bus is coming to Washington R1. Book it.

It’s a pretty lousy draw, but on the plus side it’ll be a damned fine series.
Jackets are playing some good hockey, but there's two important factors here: RS vs. playoff Bob and IINM none of the new guys have any playoff experience. That's good insofar as it means they're not saddled with all the losing, but they also don't know how it's done.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I still thinks there’s a very good chance we play Carolina. Columbus plays Boston and than a back to back against two weaker teams (Rags, Sens). While Carolina plays a slumping Toronto and then two weak teams not back to back (Devils, Flyers).

Canadiens schedule is of course the toughest, however this is when teams rest their stars... I have no idea what will happen.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

That's pretty depressing. Not just the pain he's in but how little the NHL cares about the people who went to battle in their games. Guys like this should be able to get at least enough disability that they can afford a damn 1 BR apt in some crap town in Canada and a few square meals a day. Maybe even some medical treatment, imagine that. The NHL can afford it. Peat can't.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
That's pretty depressing. Not just the pain he's in but how little the NHL cares about the people who went to battle in their games. Guys like this should be able to get at least enough disability that they can afford a damn 1 BR apt in some crap town in Canada and a few square meals a day. Maybe even some medical treatment, imagine that. The NHL can afford it. Peat can't.

Yeah, the NHL should be ashamed of itself.

It's as bad as the Canadian government's (any political party) treatment of veterans.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yeah, the NHL should be ashamed of itself.

It's as bad as the Canadian government's (any political party) treatment of veterans.

A lot of American veterans drive to the parking lot of the local VA hospital to commit suicide, a final plea for help for the others they served with. That's how bad the overall level or service is, for the people who fought in an 18 plus year long war.

The NHL should be ashamed but stories like these don't make headlines too often, unless it was a legit start player. Like when Junior Seau committed suicide after a HOF football career.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
A lot of American veterans drive to the parking lot of the local VA hospital to commit suicide, a final plea for help for the others they served with. That's how bad the overall level or service is, for the people who fought in an 18 plus year long war.

The NHL should be ashamed but stories like these don't make headlines too often, unless it was a legit start player. Like when Junior Seau committed suicide after a HOF football career.

People are disposable to these major sports leagues. :(

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Well, in regards to the NHL, I actually didn't finish reading the whole article before I commented, so I should take back some of my indignity. This is the rest of the article:

Peat's father has blamed the NHL for not stepping up to support his son, but the former player said the league is trying to help. He said an NHL representative has been in touch — even referring him to a neurologist in Vancouver — but keeping appointments has been challenging because of his living conditions and health challenges.
Glenn Healy, a former NHL goaltender and current executive director of the NHL Alumni Association, said there are programs available for ex-players like Peat, whether they be substance rehabilitation or financial support.
"It is a matter of a phone call and it is a matter of that phone call being answered within minutes. If it's a crisis situation, help is launched immediately," Healy said. "The player has to want it and we will give it."

Looks like the NHL is making an effort. Good on them. Rough situation when the player can't even accept the help that's available because his brain is too damaged.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Can anyone establish causality rather than correlation when it comes to fighting and bad things happening after hockey? It's possible that's just the way some of these guys were, and they ended up being goons because that was one way to cope or make money. There have been plenty of fighters and extremely physical players that had no such outcomes, and plenty of "skill" players who get depressed after their careers--the only thing they've known their whole life--is over. Nobody talks about those because it's easy and obvious to point to the extreme examples and make a connection.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I prefer not to play Columbus, but mostly for the fact that I feel for their fans and wanted them to get their first ever playoff series win. Obviously not against us though.

If they really wanna match up against us..
f*** em.

Reactions: searle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: