League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So for the first time I can actually remember — I’m rooting for a 3pt game here between Carolina and Pittsburgh. BOTH teams need points.

I’m worried CBus won’t lose again. They have an easy schedule (3 road games, but against Buff, NYR, Ott) and their one tough game is at home (vs a “nothing to play for” Boston team).

They could easily win out. If so— they will probably pass Carolina AND Pittsburgh. Which means Pens need to collect as many points as they can. Pitts is 3pts up, but CBus has the ROW tie breaker. Canes have 2 tough games (@Pitt and @Tor) before closing w NJD and @ Phil.

I’d really rather not play Pitt or CBus in Rd 1. I’d like one of them to face Tampa.

So — looks like I’m rooting for a Canes win today in OT. Canes Reg win puts them into 3rd and Pens in 4th. Pens need the loser point.

Would be a damned shame if Canes and Isles finished 2/3. That would suck!

It’s all very confusing.

Edit — and I think Montreal is toast. They are already in 9th and only have 3 games left. ALL are hard. TB, @ Was, Tor. The Caps will probably have to win to make the Isles game meaningless, so I don’t see them resting players at all.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Agreed - Canes are who I'd like us facing in the first round.

Is there any way of Pittsburgh and Tampa going at it in round 2?

Waiting till the ECF to face those two would be nice.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think it is looking like we either play the Pens or CBJ in round one. Both would be tough opponents.

Yep. It’s going to be either Carolina, Pittsburgh, or Columbus in rd 1. So odds are it’s going to be someone other than Carolina. Yikes.

Maybe it’s best to get Pitt right now. Let CBus get their first round monkey off their backs against Isles. Or Tampa.

Perfect world?

Pens fall apart here and fall to 5th— and play Tampa. The BJ’s rise to 3rd and play NYI. We get the Canes.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the Caps get the Canes in round 1. Working on tickets for myself already. I would be fine not playing the Penguins at all for a change. But that's all just me. I really don't think it matters to the team. They look to be rolling. Milbury today seems to think the Caps are going to be brutal to try and take out. I tend to agree.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I like the obvious coaching that reirden has implemented. I have seen adjustments these last few games vs different opponents, the puzzle has been slowly being put back together since TDL.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Hard to know how to cheer imo today. I’d rather the clovers miss completely but that’s probably unlikely. If they finish last they play Tampa which is ideal, but don’t want them to be in WC1 where we play them first. Basically want them to finish anywhere but 4th in the division.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Feels like they're full of losers.

Bunch of Jerks vs Bunch of Losers? Hmm hard to decide.

I think the Canes is by far the more desirable matchup but it seems very unlikely. Jackets are rolling and whether it turns out to be true or not I suspect the Jackets mentality
is that they have a better chance of beating the Caps than they do the Lightning (so they are going to play their asses of to move into the 1st wildcard spot). Canes likely will be happy to make the playoffs and in their hearts I doubt they expect to win against Caps or Lightning.
For the Canes it's been heart and courage and some fantastic goaltending that's gotten them into the playoffs - for the Jackets it's talent and depth.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
did everyone forget that the jackets intentionally matched up with us last year for the first round?

Ok so.. not confirmed of course but they all but tanked that last game to avoid Pittsburgh.

Reactions: RandyHolt

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
Bunch of Jerks vs Bunch of Losers? Hmm hard to decide.

I think the Canes is by far the more desirable matchup but it seems very unlikely. Jackets are rolling and whether it turns out to be true or not I suspect the Jackets mentality
is that they have a better chance of beating the Caps than they do the Lightning (so they are going to play their asses of to move into the 1st wildcard spot). Canes likely will be happy to make the playoffs and in their hearts I doubt they expect to win against Caps or Lightning.
For the Canes it's been heart and courage and some fantastic goaltending that's gotten them into the playoffs - for the Jackets it's talent and depth.

They should be careful what they wish for.. The way the Caps are playing right now they could beat anyone including a surging Jackets team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad