League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
To me, it looked like he was trying to score number 50. He was making more of an effort to get shots on net but he can't do it by himself. If Backstrom isn't going to carry the puck and make plays and Wilson is coughing the puck up left and right, Ovechkin isn't scoring.

2 more goals should seal it so I'm not really worried yet. If you believe he doesn't care about it, you're delusional. Ovechkin is as competitive as anyone and all great players want to make history.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
To me, it looked like he was trying to score number 50. He was making more of an effort to get shots on net but he can't do it by himself. If Backstrom isn't going to carry the puck and make plays and Wilson is coughing the puck up left and right, Ovechkin isn't scoring.

2 more goals should seal it so I'm not really worried yet. If you believe he doesn't care about it, you're delusional. Ovechkin is as competitive as anyone and all great players want to make history.
Ok. If Ovie wins the Rocket and gets 50 and the Pens beat us in R2 the season was a failure. Not sure how that is delusional

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Ok. If Ovie wins the Rocket and gets 50 and the Pens beat us in R2 the season was a failure. Not sure how that is delusional
Ovie went for the Rocket and 50 last season. Even though he didn't get it, he and everyone else on the team sure tried their best to get him there. The season turned out fine, eh? Not sure what your point is.

There's no reason to believe that they'll fail in the PO if he chases 50 and the rocket again in the last few games of the season.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Sharks radio guy Dan Rusanowsky in rare form tonight.

“It is worth noting, although I guess it’s somewhat irrelevant now, that the sharks are 25-0 when Jones allows two or fewer goals in a game.”

Color guy Brett Hedican: “OK… but… they are already sitting at four goals against tonight…”

Rusanowsky: “Yes! That’s why I said it was possibly irrelevant!”

Reactions: Heath

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

“It is worth noting, although I guess it’s somewhat irrelevant now, that the sharks are 25-0 when Jones allows two or fewer goals in a game.”

Color guy Brett Hedican: “OK… but… they are already sitting at four goals against tonight…”

I knew the Sharks had been playing badly but had to go and check - wow they have lost SEVEN in a row.
A month ago I was still picking this team to come out of the West and possibly win a Cup - yes even with Martin Jones as bad as he was, because the Sharks are 3rd in the league
in scoring and they have so much forward depth - plus Burns and Karlsson.

As things stand they will face Vegas in round 1 and have looked terrible against them. Could be an early exit and a big upset.
Interestingly Jones has some very good seasons prior to this one. Even in last year's playoffs he was .928 save percentage, which isn't exactly shabby.
He has just been so average this season - and he's signed for 5 more years. Quite the dilemma for San Jose. Oh well glad it's their problem and not ours!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The standings in the east, as they sit right now, are perfect. Wish the season had ended last night.

Well except that Ovie doesn't have 50 goals. ;)

Reactions: ovikovy817

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England

If this guy doesn't get a suspension for this then I'll be beating the "Tom Wilson is treated unfairly" drum pretty hard.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd like to go back to Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson... I know Kuznetsov was sucking earlier but its almost playoff time and I don't think Nicky is going to replicate Kuzys performance last spring.

Reactions: tenken00

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We need Ovi to hit fiddy, to honor the stanley cup ring bearing, Jeff Schultz.

He only played 10 games in the NHL after leaving the Caps. And somehow got a cup. What are the odds?

Age 33, and a free agent currently.

j_Schultz.jpg

Reactions: StrikingDistance

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

If Ovechkin can't win the scoring title, don't blame it on the line-mates. Wilson has been just fine lately, and while Backstrom has been struggling, Ovechkin himself hasn't been any better. He has been mailing it in lately and seems just fine that someone might surpass him.

Besides, i don't really care how many scoring titles he has when he retires. He's already the greatest goal-scorer to ever play the game and nothing is going to change that now. Scoring 50 goals is a nice accomplishment for sure but it's rather irrelevant in my eyes as he's already at the peak alone.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
We need Ovi to hit fiddy, to honor the stanley cup ring bearing, Jeff Schultz.

He only played 10 games in the NHL after leaving the Caps. And somehow got a cup. What are the odds?

Age 33, and a free agent currently.

j_Schultz.jpg

I was at the game in LA where the Kings clinched that Cup. I have a pic with Mr Nasty hoisting Lord Stanley, and the stain on my shirt where I threw up a little.

Enjoy this!

NQjv6i6iRDqOeEES46RmNw

uPuGo-qRRwmtoVpewH0UyA.ZmiyRXccKGnd3LrmGtCkL_

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
There is too much forced parity if we only clinched a playoff spot in game 78, yet are in 1st place. what the f*** is that garbage. The league should want the teams in first place 95% of the way through the season, to be in the playoffs.

I know the league thinks everyone loves the parity that makes us watch the standings until we are blue in the face, and still cannot reasonably digest simple seeding scenarios, but not me. I did finally check the standings for the first time this season. It appears I have missed nothing. The shitty teams are still the shitty teams and hoping their goalie gets hot for round 1.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
There is too much forced parity if we only clinched a playoff spot in game 78, yet are in 1st place. what the **** is that garbage. The league should want the teams in first place 95% of the way through the season, to be in the playoffs.

I know the league thinks everyone loves the parity that makes us watch the standings until we are blue in the face, and still cannot reasonably digest simple seeding scenarios, but not me. I did finally check the standings for the first time this season. It appears I have missed nothing. The ****ty teams are still the ****ty teams and hoping their goalie gets hot for round 1.
Yeah you know the league will be patting themselves on the back given how late in the season it is with so many teams technically still in the hunt. Wonder if it's reflected strongly in ratings and ticket sales?

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
If Ovechkin can't win the scoring title, don't blame it on the line-mates. Wilson has been just fine lately, and while Backstrom has been struggling, Ovechkin himself hasn't been any better. He has been mailing it in lately and seems just fine that someone might surpass him.

Besides, i don't really care how many scoring titles he has when he retires. He's already the greatest goal-scorer to ever play the game and nothing is going to change that now. Scoring 50 goals is a nice accomplishment for sure but it's rather irrelevant in my eyes as he's already at the peak alone.
Wilson has been playing fine. I was only talking about last nights game. I agree that he's been playing disinterested hockey for most of the past 10 games.

And not everyone agrees that he's the greatest. Another scoring title could help solidify him in the long run along with simply accumulating more goals as the years go on. As arbitrary as 50 goals is, it's still a historical mark that players aim for whether you care for it or not. Players and the media along with fans will always use it as a way to compare goal scorers.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I hate these stats. Of course it’s going to be a good record if they only give up 2 or less. It’s like the stupid “they are 18-4-2 when leading after 2.” Well no crap.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah you know the league will be patting themselves on the back given how late in the season it is with so many teams technically still in the hunt. Wonder if it's reflected strongly in ratings and ticket sales?

I know the league thinks no one will go to our last few games if we clinched, but that is not true. Hockey fans are diehards.

The problem is, the late season games almost carry too much weight. I know I know, game 1 was worth 3 points, just like all the others. But the standings and heck even games are very chaotic.... the best team doesn't win every night. Flip a coin and you will have a better chance to figure out who we will face in round 1. This after 80 games. So it can come down to a random bounce or bad call, to get a team in. That is hockey though, which is why we have 7 game series's's.

A few soft opponents for Philly, and maybe their garbage ass team sneaks into playoffs. In, because Columbus had to play tampa B2B on the road, and then have a snoozer sunday noon game when all the players were still asleep.

Hungover.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If we clinch first seed, our last game against the Islanders on 4/6 could decide if the Islanders or the Penguins have home ice in Round 1

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If we clinch first seed, our last game against the Islanders on 4/6 could decide if the Islanders or the Penguins have home ice in Round 1

We will need a 3 pt lead and to own the tiebreakers for that final game to be meaningless to our standings and only matter to the Aisles. With the Aisles and the Pens not giving up yet like we have asked them to, I don't see that last game being one where we have already clinched. I can still see a 3 way tie for points in the Metro after 82 games and the tiebreaker computer seizes up.

Reactions: tenken00

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I know the league thinks no one will go to our last few games if we clinched, but that is not true. Hockey fans are diehards.

The problem is, the late season games almost carry too much weight. I know I know, game 1 was worth 3 points, just like all the others. But the standings and heck even games are very chaotic.... the best team doesn't win every night. Flip a coin and you will have a better chance to figure out who we will face in round 1. This after 80 games. So it can come down to a random bounce or bad call, to get a team in. That is hockey though, which is why we have 7 game series's's.

A few soft opponents for Philly, and maybe their garbage ass team sneaks into playoffs. In, because Columbus had to play tampa B2B on the road, and then have a snoozer sunday noon game when all the players were still asleep.

Hungover.

The Metro is tight, but the Atlantic was a blowout that was pretty much decided in February.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I knew the Sharks had been playing badly but had to go and check - wow they have lost SEVEN in a row.
A month ago I was still picking this team to come out of the West and possibly win a Cup - yes even with Martin Jones as bad as he was, because the Sharks are 3rd in the league
in scoring and they have so much forward depth - plus Burns and Karlsson.

As things stand they will face Vegas in round 1 and have looked terrible against them. Could be an early exit and a big upset.
Interestingly Jones has some very good seasons prior to this one. Even in last year's playoffs he was .928 save percentage, which isn't exactly shabby.
He has just been so average this season - and he's signed for 5 more years. Quite the dilemma for San Jose. Oh well glad it's their problem and not ours!

We all know the playoffs is a new season. It can all start clicking. For us, I hope it's the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad