League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
No, they're not. Carlson skates 26 minutes/night and is an all-situation 1RD that QBs the league's best PP and eats PK minutes. He is growing into a top-10 defenseman in the NHL. Two young wingers are not worth more than that.
Two young wingers who already perform at a high level with potential through the roof. Their combined trade worth is definitely higher.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Leafs would overpay big time for a guy for Carlson because teams don’t trade 1Ds very often. And we’re definitely not the team to do it since our defensive depth is... meh.

Value is relevant but team needs are far more relevant, and we don’t need Nylander enough to trade important roster players

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Carlson worth more than each of them, no doubt but let's not act like he's a Karlsson or Doughty in their best days. Until last year he's been a lower-end #1 D and many here have even been questioning his future with the team.

As for the trade, I'd offer Orlov for Nylander straight up.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Carlson worth more than each of them, no doubt but let's not act like he's a Karlsson or Doughty in their best days. Until last year he's been a lower-end #1 D and many here have even been questioning his future with the team.

No one is saying he’s in that tier, but he has continued to grow as a player even to this point. He’s a playoff gamer, and he’s signed long term.

And the same metric goes for Nylander and Marner. They are really good players, but let’s not pretend they are Ovie or even Oshie caliber at this point.

Orlov for Nylander tho, yeah, I’d look hard at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
No one is saying he’s in that tier, but he has continued to grow as a player even to this point. He’s a playoff gamer, and he’s signed long term.

And the same metric goes for Nylander and Mariner. They are really good players, but let’s not pretend they are Ovie or even Oshie caliber at this point.

Orlov for Nylander tho, yeah, I’d look hard at that.
Tbh initially I thought Niskanen would be a better fit for them and for us since he's an aging player and due a decline and at the same time he's a righty and that's what Leafs need. But at the end of the day he's still a better player than Orlov. Not that flashy coming up the ice with the puck as Orlov but Orlov has nothing on him offensively over all these years points-wise and Nisky is a superior player in his own end.

Both Marner and Nylander are Oshie level as offensive players. Marner already ahead. Oshie is a beast defensively tho.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I'm not sure at this point that we've seen Carlson's best days. He's been getting better and better the past two years.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Tbh initially I thought Niskanen would be a better fit for them and for us since he's an aging player and due a decline and at the same time he's a righty and that's what Leafs need. But at the end of the day he's still a better player than Orlov. Not that flashy coming up the ice with the puck as Orlov but Orlov has nothing on him offensively over all these years points-wise and Nisky is a superior player in his own end.

Both Marner and Nylander are Oshie level as offensive players. Marner already ahead. Oshie is a beast defensively tho.

Oshie is heart and soul too. Marner may be getting there. Nylander, obviously isn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm really high on Marner, but really low on Nylander. I might honestly rather do something like Marner + Liljegren for Carlson than Marner + Nylander.

Not that I'd actually make those trades, though.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Obviously not, but if Carlson were to be traded then I'd want a RD back. I'm not big enough on Nylander to believe the difference in ability between him and Liljegren outweighs the positional/need difference.
I'm not sure Liljegren will ever be a regular NHLer so the difference in ability definitely outweighs the positional need in this case at least at this point. Better get Marner+Nylander and trade some of the forwards on a current roster for RD and go with it. Hypotetically speaking, of course.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The way Pacioretty is these days is the reason why Caps should not go for rentals or 30+ years olds if they trade Burakovsky+. Get a cheap, young forward with similar problems in a straight up trade and try to make it work.

Reactions: RandyHolt

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The way Pacioretty is these days is the reason why Caps should not go for rentals or 30+ years olds if they trade Burakovsky+. Get a cheap, young forward with similar problems in a straight up trade and try to make it work.
That or a draft pick.

Jun 15, 2007
Considering the contract Wilson signed and his contributions to this team so far this season, not sure we have room to make fun of Calgary.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think my eyes just rolled right out of my head.
Not sure why you are rolling your eyes. Wilson hasn't contributed anything for the caps this season.
I'm hoping Wilson's return can spark this team.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not sure why you are rolling your eyes. Wilson hasn't contributed anything for the caps this season.
I'm hoping Wilson's return can spark this team.

DON'T TALK TO MEEE!!!

I will spell it out.

It's asinine to compare Neal and Wilson this season when the latter hasn't "contributed" anything this year solely because he hasn't been permitted to play. His haters will argue that such an eventuality should have been part of the contract considerations but that dives into the deep calculus of the discussion we've been having in the TW thread about double standards and mixed signals from the league.

It's a cheap dig by someone who has been banging that drum for a while, and it has nothing to do with the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad