League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Well sometimes a poster comes in and instead of arguing in good faith of what they believe, simply argues to inflate their low self esteem and prove to themselves their intelligence. I'm sorry if this causes a disruption in your lurking but people are going to respond negatively to such a poster.

Well, you all are here to entertain me right? haha

ayne.gif

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I think this forum is better than it has been in years, going back to the early days of the Ovie era. We had some dark days, especially under Oates, but they're long gone.

There's just one ass clown trolling the group, and I have him/her on ignore. Good times.

Edit: was not expecting ass clown to make it through the filter. :laugh:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No i would prefer you not playing the eternal victim when you asked for it
I didnt ask for it. I wasnt replying to his post so really he doesnt need to take a jab at me. There are 4 or 5 members here that are known to try and start confrontations by taking jabs at people for no reason. I have seen the same members trashing fellow members here since before I even joined this site. Insulting them because they disagree with an opinion trying to be little that person. There is no need for that behavior here. If you disagree with an opinion then disagree and leave it at that. Leave the insults out.
I am not the type of person that is going to just let that go. I have been here long enough to know which guys are the ones that like to stir the pot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think this forum is better than it has been in years, going back to the early days of the Ovie era. We had some dark days, especially under Oates, but they're long gone.

There's just one ass clown trolling the group, and I have him/her on ignore. Good times.

Edit: was not expecting ass clown to make it through the filter. :laugh:

LOL

There have been dark periods for sure. Even the last few years I found myself posting hypotheticals just to keep conversations going. Playoff failures wear people out. Winning the Cup revives a fanbase.

But there will always be people who try to make a forum all about them and their ego. Or those who just try to start arguments, or attack the mods for kicks. It used to be much worse. At one point nearly every thread would become derailed. We got rid of some of the worst offenders and the hockey conversation seemed to pick up again. The GDTs in particular improved as far as actual topical posts rather than the usual rubberneckers dropping in to rile people up.

It helps that we have some good core posters who know their shit, and when their time is spent on hockey rather distractions from any anti-social attention seekers we have analysis that rivals (or possibly informs) what's being made by the professionals.

Think I'm kidding? That's why HF boosts user content as "Articles" these days.

So, users can aspire to that level of discourse, or they can keep beating the same dead horses and reaching for the measuring sticks like the old days. Their choice.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Your narrative that the Caps stink? Well more than half your player assessment posts are negative. I’m just calling what I see?

Is that upsetting to you? Oh ....
Ive dont think the Caps stink. We have a very skilled team but anyone with the slightest bit of hockey knowledge knows that we aren't playing as good as our record indicates. We have been fairly lucky. We are winning games because of skill not structure. If we keep playing like this eventually our luck will run out.
How many very good games have we played this season? I can only think if a handful of games that we played a very good structured games. We have won a lot of games that we were just mediocre. We have also won some games that we were awful in and just got lucky.
The results and the record are good but how we got here hasn't been pretty. We really need to clean things up in the defensive zone as the season goes on.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Cannot believe the Penguins traded Conor Sheary in part to sign Jack Johnson. :laugh:

Check out JJ #73 in this "highlight" from last night. He looks like Jeff Schultz trying to pull a Brooks Oprik. Johnson counts for $3.25mm against their cap for the next four seasons... after this one. Brutal.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Hah, thats a beauty of an open ice butt check whiff!

The whole hockey world knew that JJ deal was nuts, but Pens fans insisted that because Crosby and JJ had hung out as kids or something that all would be great. Derp!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hah, thats a beauty of an open ice butt check whiff!

The whole hockey world knew that JJ deal was nuts, but Pens fans insisted that because Crosby and JJ had hung out as kids or something that all would be great. Derp!

I will give Pens fans here credit, this was a pretty much unanimous WTF signing. People take about high draft pick busts and somehow JJ is never mentioned. Number three pick that has had ONE decent season. This is one of those players were the eye test and the advanced numbers perfectly align.

He will be a healthy scratch by years end.

It will never be admitted of course but Crosby wanted to help is broke friend and asked the Pens to do him a solid and they did.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Ive dont think the Caps stink. We have a very skilled team but anyone with the slightest bit of hockey knowledge knows that we aren't playing as good as our record indicates. We have been fairly lucky. We are winning games because of skill not structure. If we keep playing like this eventually our luck will run out.
How many very good games have we played this season? I can only think if a handful of games that we played a very good structured games. We have won a lot of games that we were just mediocre. We have also won some games that we were awful in and just got lucky.
The results and the record are good but how we got here hasn't been pretty. We really need to clean things up in the defensive zone as the season goes on.

dont you find it at least a *little bit* ironic that the post you made before this one....like directly before it....complains/whines about how a certain 4-5 posters belittle others when their opinions differ. You just finish making that point to everyone....

And then you do the bolded above. If that's not a belittling comment --based on you disagreeing with an opinion-- I dont know what one is. Practice what you preach, brother. And maybe your preaching will have a wider audience.

And NO, I'm not the first person to bring this to your attention. So do not shoot the messenger please.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I will give Pens fans here credit, this was a pretty much unanimous WTF signing. People take about high draft pick busts and somehow JJ is never mentioned. Number three pick that has had ONE decent season. This is one of those players were the eye test and the advanced numbers perfectly align.

It will never be admitted of course but Crosby wanted to help is broke friend and asked the Pens to do him a solid and they did.

Blasphemy!

I think people werent upset about the cost (3.25m isnt horribad), but yes...the term. I saw many a Pens fan claim that 3..25m for a solid bottom pair vet d-man was "fine". Well....????

Jun 15, 2007

I don't think Crosby had anything to do with it.

JR has a very complicated history with JJ. He's always wanted him.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I would guess that Crosby definitely had a hand in it. Still it's a putrid decision from everyone to give him contract like that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agree to disagree. There is no way Rutherford, or any coach on that team, looked at film of JJ and said "that is a guy we need to sign".

You’re underestimating the ego of GM’s and coaches.

Show me a player with issues and I guarantee you there are some people in charge somewhere who think they could do better with the player.

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad