Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Trying to find another example. Jakob Chychrun was still 19 and in the "NHL or juniors" boat last season. He was injured during the summer and Arizona was able to send him to the AHL on a conditioning stint in November. They ended up recalling him before he suited up in the AHL though.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Valardi is starting to remind me too much of Scott Barney (situationally speaking as it were:) ) He has to work his way into the line up so even though he has nothing to gain from jr's if that is the safest/best place for him after yet another lti then so be it. He is a china doll so far and rushing him along isn't going to do him or us any favors. There has been a bunch of talk about his training dietary restrictions around the team and it makes sense to me.

All of the talent and skill that any power forward would need but he has to get over his fragility before he can make the jump. I like Brickley's game (have since his fresh year) and am really impressed with EEtems game so far. Luff looked good and it looks like LaDue's game is finally totally ready for the NHL. We are adding two very solid young D to our already impressive group. Starting to get crowded with well better than average talent back there. DD8 comes back healthy and we yet again will gave the best Dgroup in the NHL. It is going to be an interesting year for certain.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Y tho

Broccoli is better than Floorboard

Hopefully only for practice... Hopefully.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Forbort isn't really good with anyone else, so there ya go.

Yeah let him drag down someone else rather than Doughty. Doughty and Brickley showed much more promise and potential than what Forbort pairing has shown.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I also can't imagine Forbort being super effective in big minutes coming off his own injury to be honest.

While I'm skeptical of Brickley just jumping into Doughty's horrendous minutes, they did look pretty good together, and he's good enough on his own with the puck that teams can't just double-team Drew like they do when Scuderi and Forbort are around. You just also don't want to kill a guy who hasn't played a pro schedule.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I also can't imagine Forbort being super effective in big minutes coming off his own injury to be honest.

While I'm skeptical of Brickley just jumping into Doughty's horrendous minutes, they did look pretty good together, and he's good enough on his own with the puck that teams can't just double-team Drew like they do when Scuderi and Forbort are around. You just also don't want to kill a guy who hasn't played a pro schedule.

Agree with most of what you said, though I don't believe you separate a pairing with Brickley and Doughty who have shown more chemistry/potential than a pairing with Forbort.

Thats taking a step backwards. I'd give Brickely the chance to succeed rather than give Forbort a shot just because of tenure.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Rosen's article about Stevens' comments on faster defending were interesting. If you follow the Premeire league at all, you know about Klopp's gegenpressing and how effective that type of strategy can be. Liverpool is absolutely frightening for any team to face because of it. Vegas used this same type of strategy to great effect last year.

That's not something that can just be implemented easily, though. It took Klopp a few years of bringing in specific players that can handle the high energy requirements and play that general style. This made me realize one advantage of being an expansion team, and that is you can target specific types of players for a specific type of system all at once. You aren't going to get top-end guys, but having a lot of good players who can implement a specific style can be just as effective as having top-10 players in your lineup.

I wouldn't count on the Kings to be effective in a pressing style, their roster isn't built for it. It certainly won't hurt them to try to get the puck back faster at least.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Rosen's article about Stevens' comments on faster defending were interesting. If you follow the Premeire league at all, you know about Klopp's gegenpressing and how effective that type of strategy can be. Liverpool is absolutely frightening for any team to face because of it. Vegas used this same type of strategy to great effect last year.

That's not something that can just be implemented easily, though. It took Klopp a few years of bringing in specific players that can handle the high energy requirements and play that general style. This made me realize one advantage of being an expansion team, and that is you can target specific types of players for a specific type of system all at once. You aren't going to get top-end guys, but having a lot of good players who can implement a specific style can be just as effective as having top-10 players in your lineup.

I wouldn't count on the Kings to be effective in a pressing style, their roster isn't built for it. It certainly won't hurt them to try to get the puck back faster at least.

I don't really disagree, but we've watched the transformation start to happen already. Look at the roster two years ago vs. now.

lol, from 11/17/16:

Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Brown-Dowd-Setoguchi
King-Lewis-Nolan
Clifford-Shore-Purcell

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Gravel-Gilbert

Budaj
Campbell

Injured:
Kopitar
Gaborik
Andreoff
Quick
McNabb

Versus:

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kovalchuk-Carter-Kempe
Pearson-Amadio-Toffoli
Clifford-Thompson-Lewis

Doughty-Forbort
Muzzin-Brickley? LaDue? etc
Martinez-Phaneuf

Adding guys like Iafallo, Kempe, even potentials like Wagner--take out Thompson and Toffoli and that's not the fastest roster in the league but it's plenty fast to play the Vegas back-pressure style especially with two-way guys like Kopitar and Carter. It's also got size. Interested to see how that turns out. I mean, obviously last night's game was garbage, but I did notice guys getting in on checks SUPER quick, especially with Wagner out there.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm not saying it's broken nor bad, but Brickley shows greater potential than Forbort has shown in an eternity.

Yeah you have a well running Nissan, but if you have the opportunity to switch out for a Mercedes, any person would take it

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm not saying it's broken nor bad, but Brickley shows greater potential than Forbort has shown in an eternity.

Yeah you have a well running Nissan, but if you have the opportunity to switch out for a Mercedes, any person would take it

Psh, not for those taxes and fees, insurance, and repairs! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Reaper45 and YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Calling the Kings D a Nissan is not fair but I get your point. At this point if I am bound and determine to find a spot for Brickely I would do it by trading Ladue and easing him in on the 3rd pair.
If a trade partner cannot be found by the start of the season I put Brickely in Ontario till a deal can be worked out

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I like Doughty with Forbort. It was more due to the coaching change but Drew put up career high in points last year with Forbort and considering LA allowed the leagues fewest goals if it isn't broke don't fix it.

This is true, but Drew was also on the ice for more goals against than any other season of his. And this team almost always allows the fewest goals, regardless of who Drew plays with. Last year, the Kings had their worst season for goals against since 10-11. The next two worst seasons were the only two they’ve missed the playoffs over that same span.

It amazing to think of what Drew would do with a better partner. His scoring chances were the lowest this year since his rookie season, especially high danger ones and he still put up career highs. I think we all understand that Forbort and Doughty work well together, but if he had a guy like Mitchell with him at this stage of his career he’d be winning the Norris left and right. The Kings aren’t what they used to be, so a better partner for Drew could be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This is true, but Drew was also on the ice for more goals against than any other season of his. And this team almost always allows the fewest goals, regardless of who Drew plays with. Last year, the Kings had their worst season for goals against since 10-11. The next two worst seasons were the only two they’ve missed the playoffs over that same span.

It amazing to think of what Drew would do with a better partner. His scoring chances were the lowest this year since his rookie season, especially high danger ones and he still put up career highs. I think we all understand that Forbort and Doughty work well together, but if he had a guy like Mitchell with him at this stage of his career he’d be winning the Norris left and right. The Kings aren’t what they used to be, so a better partner for Drew could be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

He deserves a better partner. Forbort isn't it. He folds way too much under pressure, coughs up the puck a lot, and sucks at passing.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Not liking, with all the options we have, the look of that--sending down JAD-Wagner-Etem and rolling with Clifford-Thompson-Lewis 4th line. Mostly because of Thompson, I guess. But I guess I get it. Not sure Wagner is ready and I don't know who would play C anyway but imagining a world in which like a Clifford-Lewis-Wagner 4th line is a terror.

Also also, man, imagine how much improved our lineup has to be to make Trevor Lewis a 4th liner almost by default.

It stinks because Forbort's ability is something I always stick up for--his ability to eat 1st pairing minutes IS a skill. The problem is Doughty makes EVERYONE look good, yet none of these other guys seem to form any real lasting chemistry with others...Forbort in particular seems to either play with Doughty or minimal 3rd pairing defensive/hard minutes. I despise that we keep having to put guys on their off sides (Martinez, Phaneuf) because that causes additional issues. I mean I loathe to call anything broken with such a good defense, but it just seems like such a mismanagement of really good parts to have this problem for so long (pretty much since Voynov/Mitchell departures). Not a defensive issue really but certainly a transition issue...in a perfect world we could roll something like Doughty-Muzzin / Phaneuf-Martinez / Brickley-LaDue-Forbort or whatever but what works on paper doesn't work in reality due to chemistry etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad