Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Since it is now the start of the 2018 offseason, I figured it would be appropriate to start a new thread to discuss Kings news, rumors, and transactions for the upcoming season.

And with that, I'll start it off with a slew of Kings news, rumors and tidbits as shared by Elliotte Friedman on his 31 Thoughts podcast.

- The Kings and Canadiens were working on a sign-and-trade deal involving Max Pacioretty on Friday.

- The deal fell apart when Pacioretty couldn't come to terms on a contract extension, and he ended up changing agents, from Pat Brisson (CAA) to Allan Walsh (Octagon).

- The Kings wouldn't budge on trading Gabe Vilardi.

- It's a given that the Doughty extension will be done quickly, pretty much alluding that it is already a done deal.

- Rumor is that the Kings were interested in adding two scorers, but he's not sure if that is still possible after the Kovalchuk contract and the upcoming Doughty extension.

For those of you who want to give the podcast a listen, here's a link to it,
31 Thoughts: The Podcast - Sportsnet.ca

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
- The deal fell apart when Pacioretty couldn't come to terms on a contract extension, and he ended up changing agents, from Pat Brisson (CAA) to Allan Walsh (Octagon).

Pretty compelling given the timing of the agent switch. Sounds more like Brisson f*cked up getting MaxPac out of Montreal.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Pretty compelling given the timing of the agent switch. Sounds more like Brisson f*cked up getting MaxPac out of Montreal.

I know that Brisson has a close relationship with both Luc Robitaille and Marc Bergevin, maybe he advised Pacioretty to make the switch? Or maybe he made some ridiculous demands? Who knows, I'm just glad to hear that the Kings were not willing to budge on Vilardi. And Montreal really coveted him.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I’d love Jason Zucker (Minny). He’s an RFA and will probably get a hefty raise.

As for centres, Victor Rask (Car) is another interesting name out there as is Kevin Hayes (NYR). Wouldn’t mind either.

Nothing really eye popping up front in the free agent market come July 1. Wonder what Vanek would be looking for term/dollar wise.

If the Kings were to hit the free agent market for a defenseman, Calvin Da Haan (NYI) would be ideal. Could fit into a top 4 role nicely.

Of course, with the limited cap space, a couple bodies would have to be move out.

I hope I am wrong about Kovy and he pulls a Jagr in coming back from the KHL and putting up good numbers. It’s just that 3rd year I don’t like, but if he was the Kings plan ‘A’, they most likely had to step up and offer the 3rd year as other clubs reportedly were doing so.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

The LA Kings will host the team's annual Development Camp at Toyota Sports Center next week.

On-ice workouts are scheduled to begin on Tuesday, June 26, and conclude on Friday, June 29.

The Development Camp roster - which will be released once finalized - will include players in the Kings system, players who have been drafted but not signed by the Kings, and other non-roster camp invites.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
If Doughty's contract is a done deal and is signed within the first week of July, Blake gets a pass from me for the rest of the summer. Not because it will be some tremendous accomplishment, but rather because he'll be sparing us from how much more godawfully annoying this place and the main boards would get for every day he remains unextended.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If Doughty's contract is a done deal and is signed within the first week of July, Blake gets a pass from me for the rest of the summer. Not because it will be some tremendous accomplishment, but rather because he'll be sparing us from how much more godawfully annoying this place and the main boards would get for every day he remains unextended.

A sign and trade OBVIOUSLY.

Reactions: King'sPawn

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Arpon Basu of The Athletic notes that Muzzin was very likely a part of the proposed deal for Pacioretty. Makes me wonder if the Kings would swing him -- or another dman like A-Mart -- in a deal for a another forward. The catch is that it would have to be salary-neutral (or negative), and both Muzzin and A-Mart are on pretty cap-friendly deals. Might have to get creative here.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
We'll just have to hear every other day about what a horrible contract it is and how he isn't worth $XX amount of dollars.

Arpon Basu of The Athletic notes that Muzzin was very likely a part of the proposed deal for Pacioretty. Makes me wonder if the Kings would swing him -- or another dman like A-Mart -- in a deal for a another forward. The catch is that it would have to be salary-neutral (or negative), and both Muzzin and A-Mart are on pretty cap-friendly deals. Might have to get creative here.
One thing to keep in mind also is that Muzzin's contract is expiring soon also whereas Martinez has an extra year over him. No idea what the Kings cap structure will look like in 2 years but he's going to be looking for a big raise also. Is a 31 year old Muzzin worth $7 million over 5-6 years?

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Just took a look at all the available UFA's; it's pretty bad. With only 3.1M left in cap space I don't expect too much.

One name that does interest me is Brandon Pirri; still youngish at 27, has scored 20+ goals before and was only signed for 650K last season by Vegas.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Just took a look at all the available UFA's; it's pretty bad. With only 3.1M left in cap space I don't expect too much.

One name that does interest me is Brandon Pirri; still youngish at 27, has scored 20+ goals before and was only signed for 650K last season by Vegas.
Blake is swinging big and will move salary to bring in a Panarin/Skinner type I believe from rumors.Blake is very active.

Reactions: BringTheReign

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Blake is swinging big and will move salary to bring in a Panarin/Skinner type I believe from rumors.Blake is very active.
Could be possible since it seems like he sees Phaneuf as a Muzzin replacement. Don't necessarily need Muzzin, Phaenuf, and Forbort. The best one and the one with the most value out of those 3 is Muzzin. Would still leave you with Phaneuf, Forbort, Brickley, and Martinez for the left side. Going to have to move salary to add salary.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
A Panarin deal would be a massive hockey trade. It would completely transform the Kings IMO but I'd guess you have to think at least along the lines of Muzzin + Toffoli as the main parts or something really big that would get CBUS attention. Then we have to resign him. It would be worth it but it would be a HUGE move.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If Panarin cost the Kings Tanner Pearson or Tyler Toffoli and one of Alec Martinez or Jake Muzzin (with the idea that Slava Voynov joins the team at a later point), and some other assets, do you go for it?

Panarin is a right-hand shot who plays LW, so I figure if a move were to be made, Pearson would likely be the most likely one to go.

Jeff Skinner is also a LW, and I would think in a one-for-one, the Kings would come out on top in a swap of Skinner-Pearson, though his contract status is going to be a bit of a concern.

That said, I'm glad to see that Rob Blake is actively looking at ways to improve the team and is trying to set the team up to win now without salvaging the future of the franchise and hanging onto his top prospects and high draft selections.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
If Blake was willing to move Muzzin, you have to assume Voynov is returning.

That's only possible if Muzzin is dealt for futures (i.e. no salary comes back) to make room for Voynov. Given that Voynov still needs to clear several hurdles to play this season (including a suspension, probably) and we don't even know if the Kings would want him back, this seems unrealistic to me.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If Panarin cost the Kings Tanner Pearson or Tyler Toffoli and one of Alec Martinez or Jake Muzzin (with the idea that Slava Voynov joins the team at a later point), and some other assets, do you go for it?

Panarin is a right-hand shot who plays LW, so I figure if a move were to be made, Pearson would likely be the most likely one to go.

Jeff Skinner is also a LW, and I would think in a one-for-one, the Kings would come out on top in a swap of Skinner-Pearson, though his contract status is going to be a bit of a concern.

That said, I'm glad to see that Rob Blake is actively looking at ways to improve the team and is trying to set the team up to win now without salvaging the future of the franchise and hanging onto his top prospects and high draft selections.

Done deal, where do I sign? No brainer. Panarin would be good for at least 30/30 on the Kings next to Kopitar or Carter.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

Yes, 100%, particularly if it is true that Panarin wants to play in a big market (which means an extension might be more possible as part of the deal). I would trade Toffoli or Pearson plus any non-Vilardi prospect (or Muzzin/Martinez) and, maybe even, a 2019 first for Panarin with an extension. He's a superstar who is only 26.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Done deal, where do I sign? No brainer. Panarin would be good for at least 30/30 on the Kings next to Kopitar or Carter.

As I posted earlier, I would do Muzzin + Toffoli + 2019 2nd(Optional) for Panarin + 2019 3rd(Optional)..
Even if Panarin asks/costs us $7.5-$8 mill per, keep in mind that he's an explosive offensive player while Toffoli is a complimentary player who is likely to ask for $6-$7 per, but can't create without Carter...
I'd gladly shed Toffoli, Muzzin and Pearson for Panarin and Voynov..

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Panarin will cost a 2019 first, JAD, Clague, Vilardi etc, but

Toffoli, 2019 1st, and Martinez for Panarin with an extension.....absolutely, if they want Voynov's rights...sure....that's a given,

That makes this team 3 lines solid depth, good blueline, and Quick,

Kovalchuk - Kopitar - Brown
Panarin - Carter - Vilardi
Pearson - Kempe - Lewis
Iafallo - Thompson - Clifford

Amadio, Brodzinski as extras

Doughty - Forbort
Muzzin - Ladue/MacDermid/UFA D
Phaneuf - Brickley

That's a solid lineup

Now it will never happen

Status