Wagner
Thompson

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Fantenberg
Phaneuf-Martinez
LaDue

Quick
Campbell

That could be the 23-man roster on opening night, with Vilardi and Brodzinski on IR.

I like that, but thinking Brickley has played his way onto the roster, opening night, over Fantenberg.
If JAD makes it and is not ready after 9 games, he goes back to the WHL. Nothing to lose.
Crazy that Ladue has made steps and still may not be one of the 6.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I like that, but thinking Brickley has played his way onto the roster, opening night, over Fantenberg.
If JAD makes it and is not ready after 9 games, he goes back to the WHL. Nothing to lose.
Crazy that Ladue has made steps and still may not be one of the 6.
i agree about brickley's play but i'm not sure it gets him in over fantenberg, this is still the NHL and they love seniority

ladue really hasn't impressed me yet, i mean he's solid but fantenberg is probably equivalent and has the years. no doubt macdermid played himself into the bottom slot after these guys so i wouldn't be surprised to see him waived. hate to see it cause i think there's a chance he gets picked up but fact is brickley, fantenberg and ladue are better all-around. tough situation.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Blake doing this on purpose so teams rosters are mostly set and they can’t add someone last minute or have to waive a good player.

Agree. I think they waive MacDermid tomorrow IF they are thinking about waiving Fantenberg also. If MacDermid clears, it makes it easier to risk Fantenberg to waivers IF that's what they want to do. If they are keeping Fantenberg no matter what, then they wait until Monday to waive MacDermid.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Interesting how all the pieces fit in that deal. Canes coming off a Cup, and lost Cullen and Ward to NY in free agency. Johnson wanted to stay in college one more year, and Tverdovsky was a spare part in the 2006 playoffs. Lombardi wanted to make room for Kopitar, and didn't care if Johnson remained in school, since the Kings were rebuilding anyway. In theory the Canes got a replacement for Cullen and Ward as they defended the Cup. Tverdovsky was a spare part here too, since he was just a throw in for cap/roster reasons anyway, and Johnson was an important player for a number of years, as Gleason was for Carolina.

If Johnson had turned pro for the full 06-07 season, that trade doesn't happen. At the time, he was still JMFJ, and the Canes lucked out in their lottery # coming up at the 05 draft. Belanger might still end up somewhere else though.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
At this point I'd waive Thompson and LaDue and run this lineup.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kovalchuk-Carter-Kempe
Pearson-Amadio-Toffoli
Clifford-Anderson-Dolan-Lewis
Wagner

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Brickley
Phaneuf-Martinez
Fantenberg MacDermid

Quick
Campbell
This is what I'm hoping for as well.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Wasn’t Thompson wearing an A?

I think the Kings send Brickley down, keep Fantenberg and MacD, and sign Etem.

You can have 3 spare players. That’s two D and one forward.

Etem, MacD and Fant are the spares. Wagner goes down. Dolan back to juniors.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
At this point I'd waive Thompson and LaDue and run this lineup.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kovalchuk-Carter-Kempe
Pearson-Amadio-Toffoli
Clifford-Anderson-Dolan-Lewis
Wagner

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Brickley
Phaneuf-Martinez
Fantenberg MacDermid

Quick
Campbell

I think this is one of the best lineups that can be done at the moment. The only true "holes" are at #4C and #2D, and we know Forbort is passable there so it's not a major one. If AD doesn't cut it at 4C, that can be addressed fairly easily. I do think if the Kings move on from Thompson and a solid bottom center becomes available on waivers, they would put in a claim and roll with 7D on the roster (if successful).

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
So Jon believes JAD has the higher chance of making the team over Wagner and that Etem will not be given a contract.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So Jon believes JAD has the higher chance of making the team over Wagner and that Etem will not be given a contract.

yep. Also that Amadio is your opening night 3C (!).

Re: the D:

"–Daniel Brickley is another player who improved as camp progressed, and his outing Friday at Vegas was outstanding. He was assertive, moved the puck confidently and showed that he can play with NHL pace and intensity. He’s waiver-exempt, though, and the team wants him to play every day and has no intent to place Oscar Fantenberg or Paul LaDue on waivers, so he’s expected to open the season in AHL-Ontario. Brickley is another player who’d be among the first to get a call if the Kings needed a defenseman. “…I thought Bricks, for me, that was probably his best game where he was confident with the puck, he closed on people quickly, he had a good stick and really took a step in the right direction like we’d want him to,” Stevens said after Friday’s game.
–Kurtis MacDermid was a longshot to make the team based on the numbers game. I’m expecting the team to place him on waivers with the intent to assign him to AHL-Ontario, and he’ll be among the players who would draw interest on the wire. There’s no knocking his approach, preparation, game understanding, workout regimen, toughness and fighting ability. But the Kings are looking to continue to get faster, and MacDermid faced an uphill battle to make the team from the outset of camp."

Kings will open with 22 players; projected opening night roster and notes - LA Kings Insider

So Brickley to AHL, MacDermid thru waivers, Fantenberg and LaDue on the roster.

Not happy with Fantenberg over Brickley even though I understand.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Brickley should go to the Reign and be the #1 dman there with Forbort healthy. Better for him long term. McDermid should clear waivers.

The choice between JAD and Wagner is intriguing. I'd keep JAD around for his 9-game look see, send Wagner down. If Vilardi is still not healthy after JADs 9 games, send him back to juniors and call up Wagner.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Seems like the toughest cuts to be made in years - and that's a good thing. More competition and higher talent level. More assets. This bodes well in all areas and
will also give Blake assets he can deal at the trade deadline, if there's a difference maker out there, then. Also good for Ontario, in that there are less vets there
and players like Wagner (if he's sent down) Luff, Clague, Brickley (if he goes down) will be key players and get big minutes. Any other year, Etem would have made it.
Tough for him. Tough for MacDermid as well, if he's waived and goes down. Feeling bad for Brodzinski and Vilardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad