Where is Liverpool

Reactions: Jussi and Ceremony

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Arsenal v ManU
Palace v Spurs
ManCity v Burnley

Liverpool would have had either Championship side Stoke or League One Shrewsbury. Easy path to the 5th round if Klopp so desired.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean, best chance at the EPL in 30 and rest before Bayern is a fair trade, but I would have liked to do better in this one
Yeah, it's ultimately a blessing in disguise for Liverpool. A treble is always great, but setting yourself up for the more important titles is a good thing. No one really cares about the FA Cup on its own.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Happy with the Arsenal draw. Still unsure of the depth of improvement of this United team, but with solskjaer in charge at least they'll attack and not sit back looking for a Fellani winner. Both teams have poor defenses. Could be a fun one.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
  • Brighton & Hove Albion v West Bromwich Albion

Happy with this draw, we are the favourite and I would absolutely love seeing a Brighton cup run.

• Arsenal v Manchester United

Should be a fun one for the gunners, who knows how either team will be feeling in a few weeks time.

• Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur

Funny Brighton and Arsenal's main rivals ended up drawing each other.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I mean, best chance at the EPL in 30 and rest before Bayern is a fair trade, but I would have liked to do better in this one

There would be only 1 match prior to Bayern. If they win that and then beat Bayern, THEN play your reserve squad. But lose to Bayern at home, and suddenly your CL future is grim and you have to hang everything on winning the PL.

It's just 90 minutes more.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Try to get one before talking about a treble.
None of us can get one, so yeah, I'll get right on that. Treble's are nice and very difficult, but league titles and champions league means more than the FA Cup. If losing the FA Cup increases the chances of those, then it's better in the long run.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looking at the draw again I like that there are many opportunities for smaller clubs to get into the final 16. Should add some fun drama

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, it's ultimately a blessing in disguise for Liverpool. A treble is always great, but setting yourself up for the more important titles is a good thing. No one really cares about the FA Cup on its own.

The FA Cup would be nice to win, but the squad needs to have breaks during the weeks when those games are played. It was huge for Liverpool to jet off to Spain last season. Came back with more energy and obviously everyone knows what happened from there.

There would be only 1 match prior to Bayern. If they win that and then beat Bayern, THEN play your reserve squad. But lose to Bayern at home, and suddenly your CL future is grim and you have to hang everything on winning the PL.

It's just 90 minutes more.

It's not just 90 minutes, it's all the minutes that have to be played around those 90 minutes. Fixture congestion is a bitch.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The FA Cup would be nice to win, but the squad needs to have breaks during the weeks when those games are played. It was huge for Liverpool to jet off to Spain last season. Came back with more energy and obviously everyone knows what happened from there.
I didn't think Liverpool won anything last year

Reactions: Cassano

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn't think Liverpool won anything last year

Going to the Champions League Final is far more important than winning the FA Cup.

Last I checked, a team doesn't win the FA Cup by winning in the third round away to Wolves. When a team only has a few healthy defenders, decisions have to be made and Klopp made the right decision.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think the FA Cup is one of the places where there’s a disconnect btw foreign and local fans. Cause local fans care a lot about the FA Cup. There’s lots of old rivalries that don’t exist as much anymore cause of teams getting demoted that get rekindled. Lots of memories. It’s a fun tourney.

I’m saying that as an American fan as well, not knocking anyone else.

Reactions: Peen

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think the FA Cup is one of the places where there’s a disconnect btw foreign and local fans. Cause local fans care a lot about the FA Cup. There’s lots of old rivalries that don’t exist as much anymore cause of teams getting demoted. Lots of memories. It’s a fun tourney.

Every Liverpool fan forum, most of which are full of Scousers, was begging Klopp to throw out a trash lineup and hope for the best. It's not a worthless trophy, but considering the state of the squad, someone had to decide what to do. The decision was clearly to play a full strength team in every game before this one, rotate the team here. It has obviously worked considering Liverpool's league position.

The vast majority of the other top flight teams that played made heavy rotations. It was time to make those rotations and it didn't work out for Liverpool. They played poorly and still could have had a draw, it's not the worst thing in the world.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Every Liverpool fan forum, most of which are full of Scousers, was begging Klopp to throw out a trash lineup and hope for the best. It's not a worthless trophy, but considering the state of the squad, someone had to decide what to do.

The vast majority of the other top flight teams that played made heavy rotations. It was time to make those rotations and it didn't work out for Liverpool.

Oh I don’t think it was the wrong strategy. It’s what most of the teams in the title chase do. They try to get through the 3/4/5 rounds with rotated players. If they do, it’s on.

I just think the idea that no one cares about it is wrong.

Reactions: Cassano

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think the FA Cup is one of the places where there’s a disconnect btw foreign and local fans. Cause local fans care a lot about the FA Cup. There’s lots of old rivalries that don’t exist as much anymore cause of teams getting demoted that get rekindled. Lots of memories. It’s a fun tourney.

Yeah, there is a lot of history in it, and it's cool that everyone has a shot.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Oh I don’t think it was the wrong strategy. It’s what most of the teams in the title chase do. They try to get through the 3/4/5 rounds with rotated players. If they do, it’s on.

I agree with your statement about those rounds.

Let's be clear here though. I said I don't care, and I explained that Liverpool had a boost come the end of the season from not playing those games and going to Spain for a vacation instead. It's a fact. They had a nice ten day break, came back to England, and pulverized West Ham.

Never said anyone else didn't care. I think it's a positive for Liverpool to be out of the competition, especially considering that part of the reason they're out is because they decided to play a full strength game in all the matches prior to this one, but I won't speak for anyone else. Every game they play from here on out is more important than that one today, and matters much more.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

It 100% is wrong Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad