2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nope. Eakins still ruined a bunch of players and set the franchise back.

Maybe he gets another shot in the NHL someday, but he was one of the worst coaches in recent history.

Ummmmmmmm I'm pretty sure those were just bad players put together by a very bad management team. Who did he really "ruin" when you look back? I mean, I didn't love how he handled Yakupov, but...it's pretty clear now that guy just wasn't NHL-caliber.

Mind you, I don't know if Dallas Eakins is or isn't a good NHL coach. We know he's a very good AHL coach who, like Ralph Krueger, got jobbed by the worst-run organization in the NHL not named the Ottawa Senators.

Can't believe I didn't know about that Taylor Hall water bottle incident. Guess ya gotta shoot your shot.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Ummmmmmmm I'm pretty sure those were just bad players put together by a very bad management team. Who did he really "ruin" when you look back? I mean, I didn't love how he handled Yakupov, but...it's pretty clear now that guy just wasn't NHL-caliber.

Mind you, I don't know if Dallas Eakins is or isn't a good NHL coach. We know he's a very good AHL coach who, like Ralph Krueger, got jobbed by the worst-run organization in the NHL not named the Ottawa Senators.

Can't believe I didn't know about that Taylor Hall water bottle incident. Guess ya gotta shoot your shot.
There were also those silly systems he made the Oilers use. Especially defensively it was wild. Might be he has improved but he was a terrible coach in Edmonton.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There were also those silly systems he made the Oilers use. Especially defensively it was wild. Might be he has improved but he was a terrible coach in Edmonton.

Well, that may be the most damning thing of all when it comes to the Oilers. He employed "the swarm" which an AHL team did to perfection, yet an NHL team couldn't even come close to executing. That just tells you how disjointed and disinterested that merry band of idiots was.

I will admit Eakins definitely seemed in over his head but he wasn't helped by an Edmonton media that seemed against him from the start (they took that "no hits" comment he made at the beginning of the season, completely missed the point, and Fox News'd it into a damning narrative that the new coach was soft and out of touch) and an incompetent management crew that never got him the pieces he needed. I honestly don't know if Dallas Eakins is NHL coach material, but I don't think even the best NHL coach could've done much with that sad-sack roster.

Reactions: klozge

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Devan Dubnyk and Justin Schultz were half a season away from being out of the league. Jeff Petry had his worst seasons under Eakins. Yakupov's development was completely ruined.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Devan Dubnyk and Justin Schultz were half a season away from being out of the league. Jeff Petry had his worst seasons under Eakins. Yakupov's development was completely ruined.

Dubnyk played parts of five underwhelming seasons in Edmonton, stumbled his way through Nashville and Arizona before finally finding his way in Minnesota (and it sure seemed like he might be kinda losing it again if this season was any indication). Schultz played roughly four years with the Oilers before getting thrown to a team that had Crosby, Fleury, Malkin, and Letang. Jeff Petry's worst seasons may have been under Eakins, but it's not like the organization knew what the hell they had in him before that. They're pretty much doing the same thing to Klefbom (very similar in that he's a very good all-around defender but not an elite #1 guy) that they did to Petry. And I've already stated my case with Yakupov. Yes, I think they botched his development but even then, there wasn't an NHL player there. Same exact thing is true about another young prospect they're currently mishandling, Jesse Puliujarvi. I'm kinda seeing a pattern here that has continued long since Eakins' ouster. Is it possible that management is the one making these terrible calls in terms of player development (they've also made major mistakes with Kailer Yamamoto IMO) and it might not have been all on the coach...? Or maybe not even at all...!?

Dallas Eakins was the head coach of the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club for EIGHTEEN MONTHS. His predecessor, Ralph Krueger, held the job for an even shorter time than that. Blaming either of these guys for not righting a ship that was already well on its way to sinking just seems kinda shortsighted to me. I honestly have no idea how anyone can have a definitive verdict on either guy in the NHL when the sample size is ridiculously small, and the organization that employed them failed long before they showed up, and long after they departed.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Dubnyk played parts of five underwhelming seasons in Edmonton, stumbled his way through Nashville and Arizona before finally finding his way in Minnesota (and it sure seemed like he might be kinda losing it again if this season was any indication). Schultz played roughly four years with the Oilers before getting thrown to a team that had Crosby, Fleury, Malkin, and Letang. Jeff Petry's worst seasons may have been under Eakins, but it's not like the organization knew what the hell they had in him before that. They're pretty much doing the same thing to Klefbom (very similar in that he's a very good all-around defender but not an elite #1 guy) that they did to Petry. And I've already stated my case with Yakupov. Yes, I think they botched his development but even then, there wasn't an NHL player there. Same exact thing is true about another young prospect they're currently mishandling, Jesse Puliujarvi. I'm kinda seeing a pattern here that has continued long since Eakins' ouster. Is it possible that management is the one making these terrible calls in terms of player development (they've also made major mistakes with Kailer Yamamoto IMO) and it might not have been all on the coach...? Or maybe not even at all...!?

Dallas Eakins was the head coach of the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club for EIGHTEEN MONTHS. His predecessor, Ralph Krueger, held the job for an even shorter time than that. Blaming either of these guys for not righting a ship that was already well on its way to sinking just seems kinda shortsighted to me. I honestly have no idea how anyone can have a definitive verdict on either guy in the NHL when the sample size is ridiculously small, and the organization that employed them failed long before they showed up, and long after they departed.

I never said anything about righting the ship, I don't think that was possible. However, he could've and should've got more out of those guys and it's pretty damn clear he didn't like the majority of the players, and the players didn't like him. Dubnyk went from being a fringe backup to an above-average starter and Schultz went from being a healthy scratch to a very good #3/4 PMD. Yakupov scored 31 points in 48 games, Eakins completely destroyed his confidence and tried to mold him into something he wasn't. 2 years of being in a doghouse will ruin any players development.

Krueger had the team and the players trending in the right direction. Eakins made the team a tirefire. It's one thing to miss out on the playoffs and struggle to improve, it's another when you make decent players useless.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Do we expect the Eagles to have any shot against the baby oilers?
Being a best of five series there is better chance for a goalie to steal a series. Frank is certainly capable of that. That said I strongly expect the Baby Oilers to win this.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I never said anything about righting the ship, I don't think that was possible. However, he could've and should've got more out of those guys and it's pretty damn clear he didn't like the majority of the players, and the players didn't like him. Dubnyk went from being a fringe backup to an above-average starter and Schultz went from being a healthy scratch to a very good #3/4 PMD. Yakupov scored 31 points in 48 games, Eakins completely destroyed his confidence and tried to mold him into something he wasn't. 2 years of being in a doghouse will ruin any players development.

Krueger had the team and the players trending in the right direction. Eakins made the team a tirefire. It's one thing to miss out on the playoffs and struggle to improve, it's another when you make decent players useless.

Still not buying it. It just so happens Eakins was fired in the 2014-15 season, a season when the team blatantly and shamelessly went out of its way to tank it for McDavid. The only organization that went for it harder was Buffalo. They knew they had a bad team and made it demonstrably worse over the course of that season. Not sure why Eakins gets the majority of the blame there. Do you honestly believe the team wasn't already planning to tank it before the year even began?

And you can keep trying to argue that Eakins "ruined" Yakupov. He was, at best, a marginal scorer when Eakins took over, but if indeed he was anything other than a bust, the talent would've emerged. I don't believe it's possible to ruin a star player's development by mishandling him. You can, at best, delay it severely, like Keenan did with Stephen Weiss. Yak was never any good. And I've pointed out already the organization is already mishandling Poolparty in almost exactly the same way they mishandled Yak, yet Eakins has nothing to do with that.

I've just pointed out that things were bad before Eakins showed up, they just happened to come to a head during his tenure there. I won't argue that he made mistakes, in fact he made some bad ones. Really bad ones. But to lay the blame at the feet of a guy who was there for eighteen months when this team has had a track record of failure and incompetence that spans over a decade, I dunno what to tell ya. :dunno:

To be clear, I don't know if Eakins is a good NHL coach, but I don't think a disastrous stint with the 2nd-dumbest organization in NHL history defines him.

Jared Bednar had an even worse season in 2016-17 his first year in the league. He definitely butted heads with at least one player (Soderberg) and this season, as the multitude of playoff avatars are pointing out, the team's best player outright yelled expletives at him. Bednar is capable of making mistakes too, and probably made some missteps his first year in the league too. He rightfully got a second chance. We'll see if Eakins gets one and what he ends up doing with it.

Last edited:

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Quick summary of Pavel Francouz's AHL Year:
SV%: 5th
GSAA: 1st
QS%: 2nd
SA/60: 32.71
Team GF/G Ranking: 24th

The goalie who was named AHL Goalie of the Year:
SV%: 9th
GSAA: 10th
QS%: 11th
SA/60: 26.86
Team GF/GP Ranking: 5th

The difference? The AHL GotY ended with the most wins among goalies with 34. Life is frustrating.
Will make Frank's NHL contract with the Avs cheaper :naughty:

Reactions: MarkT and avsfan09

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Game 2 is in the 1st period right now, halfway through.

Eagles are up 1-0 on a Nantel goal assisted by Bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad