2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Here is the rumor: Apparently the ECHL revoked the Eagles ECHL charter membership when they left for the AHL. It was paid for and in good standing, the same as the recent Alaska Aces franchise that was allowed to be kept and sold to a buyer who "relocated" the team. (It will be interesting to see what happens if the Manchester team does indeed fold). So the Eagles owner decided to keep the cup until he got his $500,000 back.

Is it petty to keep the cup like that? Pretty much. But if this is indeed the situation, I would definitely be using some leverage if I thought I was owed half a million dollars.

In the end, if true, this all should have played out behind closed doors with lawyers and such. Not a good look for anyone here.​

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I bet it was stolen (maybe by the team?). Then replicated by the team, and they are trying to give the replica back as the real thing. Then the league is like **** you give us the real one. Team is like.. What? This is the real one!

Only thing that makes sense lol.

This is the only thing that makes sense?

tenor.gif

Reactions: CobraAcesS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Boikov is gone To khl that is true? Or just a rumor?
There was a rumour before the season that he was going to go to the KHL, but he stuck it out in the AHL. Furthermore, he has not signed any contract yet even though he probably is KHL bound as @cgf alluded to. Only thing that HAS happened is his rights were traded to Dynamo Moskov, which is a popular team for players to go to.

Reactions: Brett44

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I'm not sure I follow Lind's reasoning. Was the ECHL required to let him know about Newfoundland? It was up to him to find a viable replacement and he did not. The league did. Am I missing something?

Reactions: LTC Pain

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not sure I follow Lind's reasoning. Was the ECHL required to let him know about Newfoundland? It was up to him to find a viable replacement and he did not. The league did. Am I missing something?

He claims they knew all along and kept it a secret intentionally so they’d get to keep both his and Newfoundland’s cash. But no, I don’t think they’re at all required to tell him.

The more I read about this, the worse it looks for the Eagles. Also, their initial public statement that they tried multiple times to return the Cup was a bull-faced lie. At least admit you’re holding the trophy hostage. Just very petty and immature as far as I’m concerned.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I think Lind's beef is the fact that the Alaska Aces were allowed to keep their charter and sell it, which they did just 6 months prior to this strange "deadline" the E gave Colorado to sell their franchise. Why would the Eagles have to sell their franchise while the team was still playing? Weird.

But the bottom line to me is that Lind should have just returned the trophy and let the lawyers deal with all of this. If he had done that, only the ECHL would look bad in this situation and not the Eagles.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
HI! I'm a Canadiens fan and I'm asking other teams fans what are the first need you have to adress with your first pick. The Canadiens needs to find a winger (powerforward or goal scorer) and secondly, a top4 D. Cheers!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I get the beef, but the Eagles and Lind (mostly Lind) look really bad here. Not a good look, but not really shocked...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm just speculating here, but Lind strikes me as someone who's leaving out some details to the story so he can make himself seem like the victim.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I haven't read the whole thing but Chambers and the DP just came out with a story of their own that seems rather heavily slanted toward the Eagles. Apparently the Avs are (quietly) backing their affiliate in this mess. It's worth reading if for no other reason than Lind's rather incendiary rhetoric concerning a lawsuit.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Not gonna dignify Chambers with reading his piece. I was wondering if the Avs are concerned about reputational damage by association.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I would expect the Avs to back Lind and the Eagles, at least to a PR point.
And I don't have all the details, though the ones I do have reflect badly in my opinion on the Eagles.
Maybe Lind is right - the ECHL screwed him badly enough for him to be petty. But is that still an excuse? I've been petty plenty in my life, and usually, regret it the next day. I find it hard to trust/believe a guy who is pushing this for a year.

Clainer09

Sep 12, 2012
Prince Edward Island
I would expect the Avs to back Lind and the Eagles, at least to a PR point.
And I don't have all the details, though the ones I do have reflect badly in my opinion on the Eagles.
Maybe Lind is right - the ECHL screwed him badly enough for him to be petty. But is that still an excuse? I've been petty plenty in my life, and usually, regret it the next day. I find it hard to trust/believe a guy who is pushing this for a year.

Your pettiness might last a tad longer than a day if you were owed $500,000

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Your pettiness might last a tad longer than a day if you were owed $500,000
True. But the sticking point here is the "owed" part. Both parties don't seem to be in agreement on that point. Did the league owe it to him to tell him? They do the work and he gets paid? From what I understand the onus was on him to find a replacement. He didn't do that but is sore about the league finding someone and not telling him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I still say go and get Sateri if the guy is available. Puts up great numbers at the AHL level and didn't embarrass himself the few times he's been in the NHL. He'd be a perfect third goalie.

He went to Russia... There are basically only crap options unless you trade for a guy.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He went to Russia... There are basically only crap options unless you trade for a guy.

Well, that would explain why he's still listed as a free agent.

Not that I'm advocating for the Avs to sign him but is Steve Mason still playing?

I'd probably go and see what the Leafs ultimately want to do with Garret Sparks, but it's obvious Babs wants him gone. I'd say have them waive him and then trade him, that'd be as good of a #3 as you could hope for. Dude's got a Calder under his belt already.

And speaking of the Marlies and their Calder run, there's Picks. I assume he is still looking for work?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Well, that would explain why he's still listed as a free agent.

Not that I'm advocating for the Avs to sign him but is Steve Mason still playing?

I'd probably go and see what the Leafs ultimately want to do with Garret Sparks, but it's obvious Babs wants him gone. I'd say have them waive him and then trade him, that'd be as good of a #3 as you could hope for. Dude's got a Calder under his belt already.

And speaking of the Marlies and their Calder run, there's Picks. I assume he is still looking for work?

I thought Detroit grabbed Picks.
Probably wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad