2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I consider not getting a chance failing though. Guys don’t “not get a chance” in multiple years based on luck. They don’t get a chance because they haven’t earned their chance.

It’s great that Shyv played fantastic in a really poor league in Russia and all but until he accomplishes something in a real league I can’t believe in him like everyone else here does.

I tend to agree with this. Players who don't get chances tend to not earn them. There are always some exceptions, but for the most part I'd say that is the case. I'd hope that Shvy was having some adjustments on and off the ice that lead to this and will come out of the gates swinging next year, but if it is that he didn't earn the trust... then he won't be anything to be counted on. I've seen flashes of his talent that are incredibly impressive, but if he can't do it up the ranks or in NA... it will be on him.

Cliff notes... Shvy has basically next year to impress or he simply didn't have it.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I consider not getting a chance failing though. Guys don’t “not get a chance” in multiple years based on luck. They don’t get a chance because they haven’t earned their chance.

It’s great that Shyv played fantastic in a really poor league in Russia and all but until he accomplishes something in a real league I can’t believe in him like everyone else here does.

Don't sell the KHL short--plenty of reasons that have nothing to do with talent that could cause a player to fall through the cracks.

But yes, he just may not be a good hockey player. But we don't know that yet. It would be nice if we could see one way or another, much like Nail Yakupov was put into a position to succeed, and unfortunately...didn't.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is Shyv even good?

He failed in the K and looks to be failing in the A. I mean yeah I know he hasn’t been given the opportunity you’d like to see but when players aren’t given opportunities there’s usually a reason behind it.

Perhaps he’d be better off in the coast?

We don't really know but the raw talent is interesting, despite how raw a prospect he was...and still is.
Kovalenko watching this situation must be thinking “Yeah, I’m good over here for another 3-4 years.”

Wouldn't be the worst thing if he polished his game in the KHL for another ~3 years; with his name he'll get plenty of opportunities :dunno:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There’s absolutely talent there. But he’s about to turn 21 on a few months and he hasn’t been able to earn himself a regular shift in the AHL yet. I’m just skeptical on these raw prospects. Shyv, Leiverman, Clurman, Wood, etc. are just more names on a long list of prospects this board had fallen in love with because they have one or two really strong attributes even though the rest of their games need miracles to ever become what people expect.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't sell the KHL short--plenty of reasons that have nothing to do with talent that could cause a player to fall through the cracks.

But yes, he just may not be a good hockey player. But we don't know that yet. It would be nice if we could see one way or another, much like Nail Yakupov was put into a position to succeed, and unfortunately...didn't.

Yeah, I generally agree with the notion that if a guy can't win a spot after multiple seasons, then that's not a good sign...but Shvy failed to get PT on one of the KHL's powerhouses as a teenager, and that's a different story. Next year will be very important for determining his trajectory moving forward.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There’s absolutely talent there. But he’s about to turn 21 on a few months and he hasn’t been able to earn himself a regular shift in the AHL yet. I’m just skeptical on these raw prospects. Shyv, Leiverman, Clurman, Wood, etc. are just more names on a long list of prospects this board had fallen in love with because they have one or two really strong attributes even though the rest of their games need miracles to ever become what people expect.

Totally fair, it'd be nice to see if the Avs found a diamond in the rough but there's plenty of reason to be skeptical.

I didn't have a problem with the pick at the time, and really, those are the kinds of big-swing selections you want your team to make in lower rounds instead of middling grinders, but the risk of them not panning out is obviously pretty high. The jury is still out IMO if Hepple is a massive improvement on Pracey. Time will tell.

Reactions: klozge

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He couldn't earn a significant role but he got a regular shift through most of the season. Of course, that doesn't change that next year he needs to win a significant role & flourish in it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

There are reasons they are later round picks. When you get past the top 10 it starts being a crapshoot and when you get to third, a seventh has as good of a chance. ;)

Speaking of Wood... he really had a solid season in Cali. Wouldn't shock me at all to see him start off next year with the Sharks.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I have absolutely zero issue with the Avs drafting those guys in later rounds. I’m just saying I don’t have a hard on for them like everyone else.

If a guy like Shyv doesn’t succeed I won’t be upset or anything. I’m just saying that I’m not going to piss and moan about a guy like that not getting ice time in the AHL if he hasn’t earned it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have absolutely zero issue with the Avs drafting those guys in later rounds. I’m just saying I don’t have a hard on for them like everyone else.

If a guy like Shyv doesn’t succeed I won’t be upset or anything. I’m just saying that I’m not going to piss and moan about a guy like that not getting ice time in the AHL if he hasn’t earned it.

IMO people really shouldn't piss and moan about any player at any level not getting ice time. If a player is on a coach's blacklist... I'm sure there is a reason (I may not always agree, but I don't always have the full picture). Take Greer in the NHL... I know many of us would like to see him get playing time, but he has got to quit doing dumb things to get his ass benched.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He doesn't seem to be. It's hard to know how much to blame our scouting and how much to blame our development pipeline but I imagine its probably a bit of both.

The sad thing is, he already improved his chances by being willing to draft European players and shifting the focus in lower rounds from "safe" picks to more ambitious, but risky selections. But in the end it's only the results that matter. He still hasn't outpaced Pracey's ridiculous 2009 draft. I'm still optimistic but there are some red flags. Still unsure just how analytics are being incorporated at all levels. The push to incorporate them came from the very top, but I just don't know if the scouts pay attention to those numbers at all.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If these late round picks don't work out it's no big deal. I just like that they're willing to take some of these swings on raw talent rather than some overager from the CHL.

I was especially glad to see them willing to bring in more Russians but would anyone be shocked if none of Varly, Zadorov, Kamenev, Boikov, and Igor are on he Avs/Eagles next year? Getting ahead of myself here but it doesn't seem crazy.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If these late round picks don't work out it's no big deal. I just like that they're willing to take some of these swings on raw talent rather than some overager from the CHL.

I was especially glad to see them willing to bring in more Russians but would anyone be shocked if none of Varly, Zadorov, Kamenev, Boikov, and Igor are on he Avs/Eagles next year? Getting ahead of myself here but it doesn't seem crazy.

Well, I'd be a little shocked if every single one of them were out of the organization next year, but I suppose it's possible.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Going to the game tonight. Do the Eagles have to win both games this weekend?
I believe if Tucson and Colorado both win all remaining games, Eagles go to the playoffs. If both teams lose all remaining games, Eagles go to the playoffs. If there is a mixture of wins and losses, not sure what the tiebreaker is. Going to tag @Avsrule2002 who's probably more knowledgeable.

E: Looks like Roadrunners have 32 ROWs while Eagles have 29, so if they tie in points Tucson gets in.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I believe if Tucson and Colorado both win all remaining games, Eagles go to the playoffs. If both teams lose all remaining games, Eagles go to the playoffs. If there is a mixture of wins and losses, not sure what the tiebreaker is. Going to tag @Avsrule2002 who's probably more knowledgeable.

E: Looks like Roadrunners have 32 ROWs while Eagles have 29, so if they tie in points Tucson gets in.

Yes, what you said is correct.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co

Tucson plays San Diego who is only 2 points ahead of the Eagles, but both teams have the tiebreaker over the Eagles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad