2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know if it's an error or not but the Utah Grizzlies are 4th in overall league standings according to ECHL.com, but curiously they have a better record than the Newfoundland Growlers, who are listed in 3rd place. Caleb Herbert is 3rd in league scoring among forwards with 17 points in 9 games, Kevin Davis is 1st among defenders with 9 in 9.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
I don't know if it's an error or not but the Utah Grizzlies are 4th in overall league standings according to ECHL.com, but curiously they have a better record than the Newfoundland Growlers, who are listed in 3rd place. Caleb Herbert is 3rd in league scoring among forwards with 17 points in 9 games, Kevin Davis is 1st among defenders with 9 in 9.
No error, they have 1 less point in 3 less games played.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hmmmmm...just read the BR recap of the Eagles' weekend. Not good.

From the Eagles Desk: Sloppy - Burgundy Rainbow

I encourage you to read it for yourselves, but a few things that caught my eye:

- Herbert and Barron called up from the Grizzlies, and they put Herbert in at the top line in place of Greer, Barron and Shvyrev split 4C duties in the weekend series.

- Apparently Ryan Graves has been an outright disaster, and the defense overall just hasn't been good. Anton Lindholm continues to miss time due to an undisclosed injury. Obviously the loss of Conor Timmins has really soured things.

- PK is strong, PP is not, the team as a whole is actually putting up decent possession stats for the most part, unlike their parent club.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Kaut producing very similarly to Zadina is a good sign. Smith would’ve been my guy but I admittedly barely watched Kaut at all last year

Reactions: Avs_19

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

We weren't expecting the Eagles to be amazing, but they have lost three in a row even if they did get a point (doesn't their division rank teams by winning percentage or did they change that?). However, I think a bubble playoff team is what we should probably expect until we get more solidity on the backend and depth scoring. Good to see them actually achieve something instead of whatever the San Antonio Rampage have become.

E: I've been pleasantly surprised with O'Connor, he's never shown this offencive prowess at the NCAA level so it is awesome to see the goal he scored in those highlights. Maybe his numbers are a bit fluky, but if he keeps continuing playing like that he will absolutely be the next call-up.

Hmmmmm...just read the BR recap of the Eagles' weekend. Not good.

From the Eagles Desk: Sloppy - Burgundy Rainbow

I encourage you to read it for yourselves, but a few things that caught my eye:

- Herbert and Barron called up from the Grizzlies, and they put Herbert in at the top line in place of Greer, Barron and Shvyrev split 4C duties in the weekend series.

- Apparently Ryan Graves has been an outright disaster, and the defense overall just hasn't been good. Anton Lindholm continues to miss time due to an undisclosed injury. Obviously the loss of Conor Timmins has really soured things.

- PK is strong, PP is not, the team as a whole is actually putting up decent possession stats for the most part, unlike their parent club.
I like Earl and the work he does, but after two games he's already fearmongering? For shame there. That Gulls team is much better than their record says, they got Comtois and Steel from the parent club for those weekend tilts.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO O'Connors biggest strength he is showing is EVERYTHING he does is at the net. For a guy that doesn't have a ton of skill that is a very good trait to have and bodes well for him going forward. There is a place in the NHL for guys with good speed and that throw pucks at the net.

Reactions: S E P H

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like Earl and the work he does, but after two games he's already fearmongering? For shame there. That Gulls team is much better than their record says, they got Comtois and Steel from the parent club for those weekend tilts.

Yeah I don't necessarily buy that either of those games was "easy," though I didn't necessarily pick up on any fearmongering. He clearly doesn't like some of the moves they made in the offseason though, particularly Graves.

That last game against Stockton though...ugh. What the hell happened!?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Confident move, I like that. 6 points in his last 5 games looks nice too.

Kaut producing very similarly to Zadina is a good sign. Smith would’ve been my guy but I admittedly barely watched Kaut at all last year

Good to hear. I didn't realize he was up to 7 points in 13 games and producing at a similar level as other high picks and players his age. There hasn't been a lot of talk about him and who the Avs should've drafted instead recently.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah I don't necessarily buy that either of those games was "easy," though I didn't necessarily pick up on any fearmongering. He clearly doesn't like some of the moves they made in the offseason though, particularly Graves.

That last game against Stockton though...ugh. What the hell happened!?
I called it fearmongering because it seems that the AHL posters in the Avs community are never happy about anything down there. Avs bought a team full of mercenaries, it's the Avs fault for failing even though half got injured or underproduced. Avs go the youth route, lose a couple of games and it's the Avs fault for not getting enough veterans. AHL coach scratches one bloke, all hell breaks loose here. Avs bring in veteran defender to help solidify any weaknesses, Avs don't care about development. It's just an endless circle of blame which goes nowhere, while the other half are contradictory statements.

For the record, I am not a fan of every move such as the irrelevance of Cody Bass, but it's hard to find the problem when there seem to be so many (and for a team which I argue has a respectable record). It's like going into a room full of dudes with hyperalgesia and asking where does it hurt?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So Eagles lost again, their fourth straight, but this time they got Spencer Martin'd who was pulled from the game. The dude is sadly gone.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So Eagles lost again, their fourth straight, but this time they got Spencer Martin'd who was pulled from the game. The dude is sadly gone.
Can’t happen soon enough. Hopefully when that happens Greer will start focusing on offseason training instead of fashion photoshoots with Spence.

Let’s see Frankie play a lot of games so we can see what we have

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can’t happen soon enough. Hopefully when that happens Greer will start focusing on offseason training instead of fashion photoshoots with Spence.

Let’s see Frankie play a lot of games so we can see what we have
Honestly it might be time just to send him down to the ECHL and play as the starter to regain his confidence there, since Cannata can probably play the backup role better than anything Spencer has done thus far.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In better news, the Grizzlies are 8-1-3-0, good enough for 5th in overall ECHL standings and only three points behind league leader Newfoundland.

Cronin is an interesting interview, can't quite place the accent but he was born in Massachusetts. That must've been hilarious being in that Isles locker room with both him and Jack Capuano both yelling at them. :laugh:

Anyway, it's not a good run right now. Defense appears to be kind of a train wreck. I'm a little surprised they're not getting any production at all from Warsofsky and Alt. Both of those guys looked like perfectly capable puckmovers their brief time in the NHL last season, they should be higher-end guys in the minors.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Less than a month away from his 22nd birthday and now with 110 games of AHL experience, I hope that Greer gets a more extended look by the Avs in the NHL. I am, however, not expecting it.

Greer scored last night to keep his pace (13 points in 12 AHL games this season).

Meloche is playing well - 13 GP 6 pts (2 goals, 4 assists) 8 PIMs

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
For some reason Bednar just hates Greer and can't figure out how to use him. The only way we see AJ make an impact in the NHL is with a new coach, sadly. It's Everberg 2.0 I fear.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Mark Alt has fallen off the face of the earth. He was out there screening Francouz for Stockton's GTG and he was a -4 yesterday in a 5-2 loss against Bakersfield. Yikes, especially when your captain is the one leading to losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille