Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
7 playoff games won since 2014.

This management group wanted Phanuef before buying him out when the world knew he was cooked AND Gaborik was looking at potentially career ending back surgery and going on LTIR.

They brought in Kovalchuk on a 3 year deal despite being out of the league for years and being incompatible with the roster and style of play. Then after creating a shit storm they kept him away from the team, practicing separately and staying home on roadies until reaching a contract termination.

They prematurely paid Cal Peterson $5 mil per year then balked at transitioning him to a starter because Quick wouldn't play ball, ruining his confidence. Then they dealt Quick.

They started the rebuild two years too late and came out of it two years too early, then instead of grooming the high draft pucks to move into the positions they were drafted to fill, they brought in a new batch of veterans to fill the slots and cap space they just cleared out. Offensive were forced to play in the bottom six in grinding roles - which they have failed at and the team suffered due to a lack of quality role players.

They traded the best player they ever drafted in Faber for a 2nd tier scoring winger whose style prevents him from playing with other top players.

Then the Dubois debacle and for some reason they gave a 37 year old Kopitar a two year extension risking a potential 35 year old contract hole for no reason whatsoever. Both of whom are represented by Pat Brisson, Robitaille's close pal since juniors - who has gotten fat on the percentages of Kings players for years now

There is no success to point to, nothing but bad decisions, wasted picks and money, buyout after buyout with zero progress. It's a front office fraternity of former players in charge, not a management group.

That help?
I’m an Oiler fan. I could write a novel of f*** ups from 2007 to current day. Lmao

Remember there is a 4 part 4 hour long YouTube series on the Oilers decade of darkness. I’d like to feel sympathy, I really would haha

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Yeah, Blake’s regime has been a total joke but I still take the Kings 2007-2024 over the Oilers 2007-2024. No offense, Oil fans.
That's fair. Stanley Cups are the goal after all.

Kings fans are pretty good peeps honestly. As far as fanbase goes, probably one of my favourite. I don't know if the Oilers will win or not, but if we don't I hope you guys find some success and make a good run.

I don't like playing the LA Kings because they're probably the toughest team in the West. Last 3 years we always end up getting some pretty significant bumps and bruises vs you all.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Kings fans are pretty good peeps honestly. As far as fanbase goes, probably one of my favourite. I don't know if the Oilers will win or not, but if we don't I hope you guys find some success and make a good run.
This is actually an underrated comment, i actually like reading other sites forums because i like to see the other side and point of view. Between leaf fans all being ready to jump because the league is screwing them, and spending time on CP where every oiler apparently deserves to get 2 handed in the face...this has been a breathe of fresh air

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Yeah, Blake’s regime has been a total joke but I still take the Kings 2007-2024 over the Oilers 2007-2024. No offense, Oil fans.
I mean... Yes! I probably would too considering I was born years after Wayne left the Oilers. The Kings have won a couple cups within that time. Heck I cheered for them back in 2012 when I was 17 and watching them win their first cup was really cool. Having Connor McDavid is an incredible blessing but winning the cup is more important.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I mean the 07-24 Oilers were unfortunately "blessed" with 2 of the worst GM performances in league history... and Ken Holland.

Nobody will ever top Steve Tambellini and Peter Chiarelli being given the reins for "rebuilds."

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I’m an Oiler fan. I could write a novel of f*** ups from 2007 to current day. Lmao

Remember there is a 4 part 4 hour long YouTube series on the Oilers decade of darkness. I’d like to feel sympathy, I really would haha
Not asking you to feel sympathy. You asked why we want the change.

Your organization has been a mess for 30 years, but once you landed McDavid a good solid portion of your fan base lost the ability to be rational.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I mean the 07-24 Oilers were unfortunately "blessed" with 2 of the worst GM performances in league history... and Ken Holland.

Nobody will ever top Steve Tambellini and Peter Chiarelli being given the reins for "rebuilds."
Stop hiring Italians.

Your organization has been a mess for 30 years, but once you landed McDavid a good solid portion of your fan base lost the ability to be rational.
I just wanted to put things into perspective lol

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln

Not quite true. 2007 - 2019. 1990 - 2006, they were competent but lacked financial resources.

From 2007 - onwards it was a gong show.

Reactions: La Bamba

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Don’t discount MacT’s contributions. He might have been the worst one of all.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Not quite true. 2007 - 2019. 1990 - 2006, they were competent but lacked financial resources.

From 2007 - onwards it was a gong show.
I really do feel for fans of Canadian teams. Even with legislated parity, the economical reality of professional sports in North America makes it virtually impossible to win a Cup.

But our history in LA has been a three year period of incredible success, a brief big run in 93 and a small handful of first round upsets. Suggesting that we should be satisfied with 7 playoff games won since 2014 isn't going to help any discussion.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I really do feel for fans of Canadian teams. Even with legislated parity, the economical reality of professional sports in North America makes it virtually impossible to win a Cup.

But our history in LA has been a three year period of incredible success, a brief big run in 93 and a small handful of first round upsets. Suggesting that we should be satisfied with 7 playoff games won since 2014 isn't going to help any discussion.

Oh, but I'm sure saying "a good solid portion of your fan base lost the ability to be rational" really is good foundation for discourse. :laugh:

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln

Quoting wrong person? I was just saying Oilers incompetence began post 2006.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Quoting wrong person? I was just saying Oilers incompetence began post 2006.
I would argue earlier. Getting utterly owned by the same team in the playoffs 5/6 years (with 4 of them being in the first round) is a level of incompetence to me especially in a league where over half of the teams made the playoffs.

Fluke run in 2006 but the signs were there in those years of being pwned by the Stars

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I would argue earlier. Getting utterly owned by the same team in the playoffs 5/6 years (with 4 of them being in the first round) is a level of incompetence to me especially in a league where over half of the teams made the playoffs.

Fluke run in 2006 but the signs were there in those years of being pwned by the Stars
Maybe context helps? Pre 2006 there was no salary cap. Yes the stars won 3 vs. the Oilers 1.

There was no cap, and the CAD was 60% or less to the USD. The Oilers paid salaries in USD, earned in CAD, and had to compete against teams with 40 - 80 mln payrolls with a payroll of 25mln or less.

The Oilers also had 50% the payroll the Stars had during this span. Their players and managers were poached by larger market teams. It was a totally different universe.

Understand you may not be aware of this, but should know a little before spouting nonsense.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That's fair. Stanley Cups are the goal after all.

I don't like playing the LA Kings because they're probably the toughest team in the West. Last 3 years we always end up getting some pretty significant bumps and bruises vs you all.
Agreed. For fanbases they are pretty chill. And funny. I’ve like the kings fanbase (and that’s really weird for me) since the PLD threads on his performance. Pretty Lazy Dubious is just an all timer for me.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Oilers put on an insane defensive clinic. Only allowed one five-alarm shot in the whole game. Showed they can win the games in any way necessary.

This series is a wrap. Vancouver-Edmonton will be very entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad