Prospect Info: 2018-19 Binghamton Devils and ECHL talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Binghamton Devils forward Eric Tangradi has been suspended for three (3) games as a consequence of a boarding incident in a game at Utica on Dec. 14.
Tangradi was suspended under the provisions of AHL Rule 28.1 (supplementary discipline). He will miss Binghamton’s games Wednesday (Dec. 19) at Toronto, Friday (Dec. 21) vs. Providence and Saturday (Dec. 22) at Utica.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Bing will have half ECHL players

I don’t think the organization could foresee the serious injury to Amderson or that Seney would show enough to stick at the NHL level. Those two should be at Binghamton. You knew at some point the big club had to give Yak a full NHL shot because he only had a one year deal.

There is more talent in Binghamton now than last year and prospects like BASTIAN and Speers aren’t counted on like they otherwise would have been. Next year likely sees more talent with Zetterlund and Boquist and maybe one of the current young guys takes a step forward.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don’t think the organization could foresee the serious injury to Amderson or that Seney would show enough to stick at the NHL level. Those two should be at Binghamton. You knew at some point the big club had to give Yak a full NHL shot because he only had a one year deal.

There is more talent in Binghamton now than last year and prospects like BASTIAN and Speers aren’t counted on like they otherwise would have been. Next year likely sees more talent with Zetterlund and Boquist and maybe one of the current young guys takes a step forward.

They don't have half ECHL players. It's just that if you don't pay attention to the organization and just constantly make negative statements, you'd think that. Ward and Edwardh were signed by the B-Devils this off-season. It's when an AHL team starts signing guys off ECHL rosters who weren't previously contracted that things start to become dire.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

It's a rough go for Bing fans again this season

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's a rough go for Bing fans again this season

In all fairness with the exception of last season it’s been a rough go for NJ fans as well in recent memory. Binghamton is better than it had been. At least they have some younger players to provide some hope going forward with more on the way.

Reactions: NJ07102

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They don't have half ECHL players. It's just that if you don't pay attention to the organization and just constantly make negative statements, you'd think that. Ward and Edwardh were signed by the B-Devils this off-season. It's when an AHL team starts signing guys off ECHL rosters who weren't previously contracted that things start to become dire.

MacDonald did come via that route. Which I'm sure some critics are completely in the dark about.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
If Adirondack was smart they would distance themselves from the Devils organization. Nobody will convince me otherwise. Binghamton fans taking the easy blame by bad mouthing their poor performance on "ECHL" players gets old.

Take a good look at some of the solid ECHL teams, take a long hard look at players who have developed in the "E" and also solid career minor leaguers playing in the league. The average casual fans like myself want to see the team win at home and be entertained. Most dont care to be emotional or attached to a player's quick development and promotion to the NHL club.

If your shelling out $20 a seat you want to see a decent product in your town at the respective level. I say it always, NHL owned AHL clubs are overrated unless its Toronto, montreal-Laval, or other in the same market big city set ups.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The problem is Bing is clear.

Ray hasn't given them enough good veterans who succeed at the AHL level.

Plus, he didn't add enough depth in NJ so he was forced to recall younger players that should be playing in Bing this entire season.

The better AHL teams have a better balance of draft pick prospects and cagey/proven AHL vets.

It's better for prospects development to play key roles in solid AHL teams that know how to win.

Ray and Fitz deserve an F for how they have assembled Bing and player development there. Along with player personnel decisions .

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The problem is Bing is clear.

Ray hasn't given them enough good veterans who succeed at the AHL level.

Plus, he didn't add enough depth in NJ so he was forced to recall younger players that should be playing in Bing this entire season.

The better AHL teams have a better balance of draft pick prospects and cagey/proven AHL vets.

It's better for prospects development to play key roles in solid AHL teams that know how to win.

Ray and Fitz deserve an F for how they have assembled Bing and player development there. Along with player personnel decisions .
It continues to baffle me. If management honestly thought the NHL team was good enough (based on prospects coming along), fine. But if you're gonna go with that, then at least provide a good environment for those prospects to grow. Partnering a bad developmental team with a team that's actually not doing so hot actually pisses me off. I want huge change this summer, for both teams

Reactions: My3Sons and mmazz22

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It continues to baffle me. If management honestly thought the NHL team was good enough (based on prospects coming along), fine. But if you're gonna go with that, then at least provide a good environment for those prospects to grow. Partnering a bad developmental team with a team that's actually not doing so hot actually pisses me off. I want huge change this summer, for both teams

You can tell when Tom Fitzgerald is lying to fans, every time he opens his mouth

Reactions: mmazz22

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Eddie Lack and Cam Johnson are giving up goals on one out of every 7 shots they face. That's not going to win you many games - and while Lack's numbers last season are not great either, he's only 2 years removed from mediocre NHL results - there's no way he could've been expected to be this bad. This is making a not good team seem worse than they are. It is also not helping that the big free agent signing, Tangradi, has missed half the season.

They could've used a PP option on D for sure. They still shouldn't be this bad.

Reactions: mmazz22

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Binghamton 1 at Toronto 3 - Status: Unofficial Final
Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - Coca-Cola Coliseum

Binghamton 0 1 0 - 1
Toronto 0 1 2 - 3

1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Pietila Bng (slashing), 7:49; Grundstrom Tor (interference), 13:53; Baddock Bng (instigating, fighting, misconduct - instigating), 18:57; Corrado Tor (tripping), 18:57; Jardine Tor (fighting), 18:57.

2nd Period-1, Toronto, Grundstrom 9 (Timashov, LoVerde), 8:30 (PP). 2, Binghamton, Speers 2 (Ramage, Rooney), 12:02 (PP). Penalties-McLeod Bng (roughing), 4:05; Speers Bng (tripping), 5:50; Gryba Bng (cross-checking), 7:28; Borgman Tor (high-sticking), 10:03.

3rd Period-3, Toronto, Moore 16 (Mueller, Bracco), 12:22 (PP). 4, Toronto, Marchment 9 (Moore), 16:20 (SH). Penalties-Schmelzer Bng (interference), 10:50; Bastian Bng (instigating, fighting, misconduct - instigating), 12:59; Gryba Bng (fighting), 12:59; Johnson Bng (leaving the crease), 12:59; McLeod Bng (fighting, game misconduct - secondary altercation), 12:59; Engvall Tor (fighting, game misconduct - secondary altercation), 12:59; Jardine Tor (fighting, game misconduct - third major/second fight), 12:59; Klimchuk Tor (fighting, match - check to the head), 12:59; Oleksy Tor (roughing), 12:59.

Shots on Goal-Binghamton 14-8-8-30. Toronto 12-8-7-27.
Power Play Opportunities-Binghamton 1 / 3; Toronto 2 / 5.
Goalies-Binghamton, Johnson 3-5-0 (27 shots-24 saves). Toronto, McAdam 7-2-3 (30 shots-29 saves).

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Not much different than watching the NJ Devils play... giving up breakaways because of lazy plays (Pietila), shooting a lot without scoring... Pretty good game for Johnson, no chance on the goals. Studenic is still missing, which is unfortunate because he's been so good. Lappin not playing either and Tangradi suspended.The brawl in the third was impressive. McLeod can fight, at least something that was good ;-)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not much different than watching the NJ Devils play... giving up breakaways because of lazy plays (Pietila), shooting a lot without scoring... Pretty good game for Johnson, no chance on the goals. Studenic is still missing, which is unfortunate because he's been so good. Lappin not playing either and Tangradi suspended.The brawl in the third was impressive. McLeod can fight, at least something that was good ;-)
While we did score our lone goal on the PP, we also gave up 2 pp goals, also gave up a shorty.

5 on 5 this game was scoreless.

At this point it's hard to expect many wins out of the team. Q and Seney in NJ. Anderson hurt, Stud's out, Tangradi out, no Lappin. I know we should expect an AHL roster to experience varying levels of talent throughout the season but that is significant.

On the other hand, Speers, and Gignac, McLeod, Bastian, Sharangovich, this is a good time for these guys to make an impression.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
On the season the Bing Devils are 29th in the AHL in terms of PP% at 13.3%(meanwhile Syracuse leads the league at 29%, and 6 other teams are over 20%).

On the PK it's even worse as the B-Devils are dead last at 74.%%.

The B-devils have scored 17 pp goals, and 5 shorties, while allowing 37 pp goals and 8 shorties. So in total on special teams the B-dev's are a -23 in 31 games.

Overall the B-devils have scored 83 while allowing 111, so a -28. They have no shootout wins nor losses. So at evens the B-dev's are only a -5.

bodda

Feb 26, 2012
Foppaland
And they take a bazillion penalties per game. That's a pretty bad idea when your pk% is 74. The biggest reason for most of their losses this year.
On the positive note I think the Jacobs-White pairing has looked pretty good the last handful of games. And mcleod is figuring stuff out kind of.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And they take a bazillion penalties per game. That's a pretty bad idea when your pk% is 74. The biggest reason for most of their losses this year.
On the positive note I think the Jacobs-White pairing has looked pretty good the last handful of games. And mcleod is figuring stuff out kind of.
144 pp's against, which is the 2nd most in the AHL.

128 pp's for, which isn't a bad #, but the -16 discrepancy is 3rd worst in the league.

So multiply that discrepancy by the awful special teams play and you see why this team is as bad as it is.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Yeah they really shoot themselves in the foot with penalties. It's infuriating.

Combine that with their terrible PK and their ridiculously depleted roster, and you have one bad team and one guy who feels stupid for buying AHLTV.:laugh:

I agree though, Jacobs in particular has stood out positively all season.

Reactions: mmazz22 and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad