2018-19 Avalanche Tank Thread

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
Absolutely crazy to think that the Oilers are only one point behind us and they own the tie breaker. The Oilers' season was a total disaster...fired the coach, fired the GM...

So doing nothing, you see gm sakic knows how far this team is in their rebuilding plans.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Getting hot and winning a bunch of meaningless games is the worst thing that could happen. There is nothing to gain at this point, except a better draft pick.

The season is done and once its officially over everyone will see a non-playoff team that wasn't good enough, having a winning record at the end doesn't change a damn thing.

Reactions: MacBradley

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Getting hot and winning a bunch of meaningless games is the worst thing that could happen. There is nothing to gain at this point, except a better draft pick.

The season is done and once its officially over everyone will see a non-playoff team that wasn't good enough, having a winning record at the end doesn't change a damn thing.

That's Arizona's problem. Huge runs at the end of the year. No high picks.

Reactions: MacBradley

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Not accepting defeat, would be a huge boon for this core. We may look dire on-paper outside of the core, but I challenge you to look at the Filth's roster after the injuries & Fenton happened and tell me that on-paper they should've fought back into a playoff race that we've played our way out of with a straight face. MacK & co rolling over & accepting defeat...yet again...would be so much worse for our future than the handful of draft spots we could slide due to "meaningless wins".

Reactions: Avs

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Not accepting defeat, would be a huge boon for this core. We may look dire on-paper outside of the core, but I challenge you to look at the Filth's roster after the injuries & Fenton happened and tell me that on-paper they should've fought back into a playoff race that we've played our way out of with a straight face. MacK & co rolling over & accepting defeat...yet again...would be so much worse for our future than the handful of draft spots we could slide due to "meaningless wins".

Most people here are used to rolling over and dying and having a lottery pick to fall back on. So that’s just what they revert to.

I simply don’t understand why people think it would be better to lose and pick 9th as opposed to fighting until the end and picking 13th.

I look at the remainder of the season as one last test for our core to see if they can get out of this funk and finish the season on a positive note instead of just limping to the end

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I simply don’t understand why people think it would be better to lose and pick 9th as opposed to fighting until the end and picking 13th.
You'd understand if you'd read the thread.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Only if you already agreed with that way of thinking :dunno:
It's not about picking 9th, it's about combined lottery odds.

Can't make a big deal about Ottawa finishing last and not push for the Avs to finish 9th instead of 13th.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
You know the Avs are going to lose until they are mathematically eliminated and then go on a tear. It’s the Avs way.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not about picking 9th, it's about combined lottery odds.

Can't make a big deal about Ottawa finishing last and not push for the Avs to finish 9th instead of 13th.

That's a better argument than 9th v 13th & it was unfair of me to reduce the pro-tank argument to that...but it still isn't worth the core rolling over yet again if you think it's important that they start developing some resiliency before we hope to start making noise.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
That's a better argument than 9th v 13th & it was unfair of me to reduce the pro-tank argument to that...but it still isn't worth the core rolling over yet again if you think it's important that they start developing some resiliency before we hope to start making noise.

Let’s just keep getting MacKinnon & Co. top 3 draft picks every year. That will also help really attract legit UFAs to our team too! :eyeroll:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Huge difference between fans wanting a good pick and the team rolling over. The fans are not the ones on the ice.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

What I'm saying is going 3-7-1 in the last stretch or going 7-3-1 will have no impact on the players, the future of Mack, UFA singings and all that stuff that worries people so much. If we wanted a better morale we needed to make the playoffs this year and we failed (mostly due to the team not being good enough). Now we have to deal with the consequences regardless of the last 11 games so we might as well get the best out of it: Better odds at a top 2 picks, slightly better draft pick.

So yeah, go Oilers.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
What I'm saying is going 3-7-1 in the last stretch or going 7-3-1 will have no impact on the players, the future of Mack, UFA singings and all that stuff that worries people so much. If we wanted a better morale we needed to make the playoffs this year and we failed (mostly due to the team not being good enough). Now we have to deal with the consequences regardless of the last 11 games so we might as well get the best out of it: Better odds at a top 2 picks, slightly better draft pick.

So yeah, go Oilers.

If they finish 3-7-1, maybe we will get lucky and their bring that loser mindset into next season as well!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

So yeah, go Oilers.

I get that you think that, I just don't agree.

So often when we see players take a big step over the summer they'll talk in interviews about how finishing the season on a strong note really drove them over the summer; and if the boys can fight back into a top 10 spot in the west...even if they ultimately fall short of a playoff spot...that would help them more this summer than getting disheartened by another lifeless collapse. Plus the whole learning how to win when the deck is stacked against you thing...

Yes, this season is a failure without playoff hockey, but there are degrees to failure. Fighting until the last & barely failing is entirely different from falling apart & embracing the failure...and to me, holds more value to this team, at this point, than the increased lotto odds of a second top 9 pick.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
And not like we are going to sign any big UFAs anyways, but if you truly believe us packing it in and coasting to the end as opposed to us fighting until the very end of game 82 won’t have any impact on how UFAs view our team this summer, then idk what to tell you other than you are wrong.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Huge difference between fans wanting a good pick and the team rolling over. The fans are not the ones on the ice.

But we're talking about what we want to happen in these final 11 games, and for me, that's to see this team refuse to roll over despite Joe sending them into the season short-handed, the goaltending imploding, and Landy's injury.

Plus that's not completely true. Players are aware of when their fans are cheering for the tank...especially in this social media age...and that shit is disheartening for many professional athletes. So even though we may not be on the ice with them, we (as a fanbase) can sap their spirits when they are on the ice.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I get that you think that, I just don't agree.

So often when we see players take a big step over the summer they'll talk in interviews about how finishing the season on a strong note really drove them over the summer; and if the boys can fight back into a top 10 spot in the west...even if they ultimately fall short of a playoff spot...that would help them more this summer than getting disheartened by another lifeless collapse. Plus the whole learning how to win when the deck is stacked against you thing...

Yes, this season is a failure without playoff hockey, but there are degrees to failure. Fighting until the last & barely failing is entirely different from falling apart & embracing the failure...and to me, holds more value to this team, at this point, than the increased lotto odds of a second top 9 pick.
I’m not arguing with you but I think it’s hard to predict how next season is going to go based on these last 11 games.

Finishing strong is not a garantee they will have learned to win. Having a poor finish is not a garantee they won’t learn to win (when it really matters).

What if we finish strong, miss the playoffs by 2 pts and then Sakic feels like they were close and our picks and Makar are enough of an upgrade that he doesn’t need to go big?

Maybe this team needs to be bitch slapped by the reality of sucking for Sakic to react?

Who knows?

Reactions: cgf

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Most people here are used to rolling over and dying and having a lottery pick to fall back on. So that’s just what they revert to.

I look at the remainder of the season as one last test for our core to see if they can get out of this funk and finish the season on a positive note instead of just limping to the end
It's an easy concept. The negatives of us losing more than winning, are far outweighed by the potential upside of a pick. It's easy to understand.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
and to me, holds more value to this team, at this point, than the increased lotto odds of a second top 9 pick.
It absolutely doesn't though. I don't know how why you would think that winning a few extra games at the end of a failed season, would be better for this team long-term, than a higher draft pick. It makes no sense.

This team doesn't need to "overcome adversity". This isn't a Disney movie. They know it's over, and now it's time to look at the future.

The first thing to do, is have a strong draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad