2018-19 Avalanche Tank Thread

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
It's an easy concept. The negatives of us losing more than winning, are far outweighed by the potential upside of a pick. It's easy to understand.

If you’re extremely short-sighted, then sure. It’s simple.

But the mindset and mentality of our players is far more important for our future than an extra 2 or 3% chance we would have at getting a top pick.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

But the mindset and mentality of our players is far more important for our future than an extra 2 or 3% chance we would have at getting a top pick.
That's only true if you buy into this lineup. If you think the team is good enough to make the playoffs, and the reason for failing is because of culture then yeah...that's makes sense. No need for better players, just a change of attitude and it starts with winning games. I get it.

However, I believe the main reason we failed isn't because of a lack of will, but because this roster is a mess generously composed of garbage that other teams didn't want. We need better NHL players to help the current core and this upcoming draft counts a lot. That's WAY more important than a handful of wins in a lost cause.

Reactions: Forceberg

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Having a better pick is not short-sighted. Thinking that winning a few games at the end of the year is.

These players aren't going to come into work next year and be affected by a few games from the previous season. That line of thinking makes no sense, and you're putting far too much weight in to how easily players are affected.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
If this team is disapointed because they had a poor last 11 games instead of because they missed the playoffs then I don’t know what to say.

I’m not advocating tanking, but if they provide a decent effort until the end and finish 4-7 I won’t mind and neither should the players.

If the end of this season ‘breaks’ them then we have no hope for the future. They should be able to turn the page no matter what happens and come in fresh and prepared for training camp.

Reactions: Trinstin and klozge

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's only true if you buy into this lineup. If you think the team is good enough to make the playoffs, and the reason for failing is because of culture then yeah...that's makes sense. No need for better players, just a change of attitude and it starts with winning game. I get it.

However, I believe the main reason we failed isn't because of a lack of will, but because this roster is a mess generously composed of garbage that other teams didn't want. We need better NHL players to help the current core and this upcoming draft counts a lot.

Then why are we sitting behind teams with even worse rosters? We need reinforcements to have the pieces to become contenders, but we had enough talent to get a wildcard spot...especially with how weak the west is this year.

The problem isn't all culture, but it's also not all Bednar being a middling coach either, nor is it all on Joe for not preparing the team properly for this season. It's all of it, and all of that needs to be improved, including the culture.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and Avs

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
That's only true if you buy into this lineup. If you think the team is good enough to make the playoffs, and the reason for failing is because of culture then yeah...that's makes sense. No need for better players, just a change of attitude and it starts with winning games. I get it.

However, I believe the main reason we failed isn't because of a lack of will, but because this roster is a mess generously composed of garbage that other teams didn't want. We need better NHL players to help the current core and this upcoming draft counts a lot. That's WAY more important than a handful of wins in a lost cause.

Well said. I totally agree with you.

The point is they need better players.

Reactions: Balthazar

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Having a better pick is not short-sighted. Thinking that winning a few games at the end of the year is.

These players aren't going to come into work next year and be affected by a few games from the previous season. That line of thinking makes no sense, and you're putting far too much weight in to how easily players are affected.

These guys quit on a season before it even started just because their coach walked out on them right before TC. I'd suggest that you are the one misjudging the impact of morale on this core.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois

Did you completely zone out the last half of this season? We are probably the most mentally fragile team in the league.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Did you completely zone out the last half of this season? We are probably the most mentally fragile team in the league.
There's lots of reasons for our collapse, and the main one was goaltending. The team was playing fine, and was top 10 in every important metric.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
These guys quit on a season before it even started just because their coach walked out on them right before TC. I'd suggest that you are the one misjudging the impact of morale on this core.
I'm not saying that morale isn't a factor, I'm saying the higher pick outweighs any losses we have for the rest of the year.

2 years from now, when that player is in the line up, we'll be a lot better off than we would be if we had won a few more games in a losing season 2 years prior.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It absolutely doesn't though. I don't know how why you would think that winning a few extra games at the end of a failed season, would be better for this team long-term, than a higher draft pick. It makes no sense.

This team doesn't need to "overcome adversity". This isn't a Disney movie. They know it's over, and now it's time to look at the future.

The first thing to do, is have a strong draft.

It absolutely does though. I don't know how or why you would think that a few extra lotto balls, when the team is supposed to be exiting Rebuild 2.0, would be better for this team long-term than this core starting to learn how not to give up. It makes no sense.

This team doesn't need yet another prospect to wait for. This isn't a Video Game. These are real human beings, hyper-competitive ones at that.

The first thing to do is for them to stop accepting failure and rolling over to finish each season. Otherwise, it won't matter how many more top 5 picks' RFA years we waste.

Reactions: Arcade Fire and Avs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's lots of reasons for our collapse, and the main one was goaltending. The team was playing fine, and was top 10 in every important metric.
Some people could argue that the team was playing better in the middle of the losing streak than when they were winning at the beginning of the year (and they'd be right). Piss poor goaltending and other teams figuring out how to contain our 1st line were the 2 reasons we were losing. We have absolutely no depth = we lose. Not everything is mental.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Yes, of course there were several issues during our slide, with goaltending being the biggest IMO. But there were also a lot of games in that time where they would go down by a couple goals and you could just see the drive and motivation leave the team just for them to ramp it back up the last couple minutes and lose by 1.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It absolutely does though. I don't know how or why you would think that a few extra lotto balls, when the team is supposed to be exiting Rebuild 2.0, would be better for this team long-term than this core starting to learn how not to give up. It makes no sense.

This team doesn't need yet another prospect to wait for. This isn't a Video Game. These are real human beings, hyper-competitive ones at that.

The first thing to do is for them to stop accepting failure and rolling over to finish each season. Otherwise, it won't matter how many more top 5 picks' RFA years we waste.
You're putting too much stock on what these guys will "learn" by winning a few games at the end of the season. They've been playing competitive hockey their entire lives.

Reactions: klozge

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I’ll say my last thing then I’ll leave the thread. But just look at the Blackhawks. As soon as 2 weeks ago when we beat them, they were down and out in the standings and playoffs. But they have a winning culture there, so instead of saying “yeah, this year sucked. Let’s lose and get a good draft pick for next year!”, they have a never say die attitude and kept battling and although still really slim, they have put themselves back in the playoff hunt.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I’ll say my last thing then I’ll leave the thread. But just look at the Blackhawks. As soon as 2 weeks ago when we beat them, they were down and out in the standings and playoffs. But they have a winning culture there, so instead of saying “yeah, this year sucked. Let’s lose and get a good draft pick for next year!”, they have a never say die attitude and kept battling and although still really slim, they have put themselves back in the playoff hunt.
They really need draft picks

Reactions: Avs

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
They really need draft picks

Agreed. I’ve had many talks with my brother about this (he’s a Hawks fan). But winning is just so engraved in that franchise the last 10 years where the team and fans both are thinking about playoffs and nothing else.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Picking 12th instead of 15th does not mean anything as the players in that range are very similar. But picking 9th instead 12th is a different story with the same number of picks difference. At 9th you pick a player in the upper tiers and the difference between the odds is much greater in that range. With that being said I prefer they finish strong for morale.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Picking 12th instead of 15th does not mean anything as the players in that range are very similar. But picking 9th instead 12th is a different story with the same number of picks difference. At 9th you pick a player in the upper tiers and the difference between the odds is much greater in that range. With that being said I prefer they finish strong for morale.
We could easily be picking 7th-8th.

Especially if Kerfoot gets all our scoring chances.

Reactions: Avs

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Players who should be playing well and giving their all are doing that, I’m not one bit worried they will get complacent, it’s just not a part of Gabe’s or Nate’s DNA. Problem here are the depth guys, the coach and the goaltenders. Grubauer started playing really well and has been killing it lately, so I hope that is a nice precursor of things to come, but the guy behind the bench inexplicably keeps putting in the guy who most likely won’t be here next season, and neither should he.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Nate went into a slump near the end of last season and the team practically backed into a playoff spot.

This year again he hasn't been amazing down the stretch.

It would be nice if MacK and Rantanen can finish strong and both be top 5 in scoring.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Nate went into a slump near the end of last season and the team practically backed into a playoff spot.

It would be nice if MacK and Rantanen can finish strong and both be top 5 in scoring.
Have you seen Mack lately? The guy wants playoffs but can't do it alone. We need more guys with his mentality.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois

He has literally been our best skater the last couple weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad