2018-19 Avalanche Tank Thread

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs are going to miss the playoffs because the roster is simply not good enough. Its decent enough to squeeze into one of the wildcard spots like they did last year, however hoping that to happen two seasons in a row is playing with fire. Its not an effort or mentality issue, the Avs top guys try their best but the supporting cast around them is trash.

The team has no 2nd line, top pairing D or legit starting goaltenders. On top of that the depth guys are a collection of AHL players. Its not a team built for success.

As soon as the roster improves so will the results. Another top 10 pick is a much safer bet to improve the Avalanche then the #14 pick.

Reactions: MacBradley

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
The team has no 2nd line, top pairing D or legit starting goaltenders. On top of that the depth guys are a collection of AHL players. Its not a team built for success.

Amen. The defense was terrible this year.

Brassard looks like a keeper because he's an actual NHL level player. An actual contending team wanted nothing to do with him but for the Avs he's been a top line forward at times.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Avs are going to miss the playoffs because the roster is simply not good enough. Its decent enough to squeeze into one of the wildcard spots like they did last year, however hoping that to happen two seasons in a row is playing with fire. Its not an effort or mentality issue, the Avs top guys try their best but the supporting cast around them is trash.

As soon as the roster improves so will the results. Another top 10 pick is a much safer bet to improve the Avalanche then the #14 pick.

Have to disagree. I think there's been plenty of moments within games, where the effort hasn't been there. Especially lately. For prolonged periods in games, or entire periods. Plus mental mistakes in coverage and turnovers have been a huge issue all year. Mental mistakes in not bearing down on your scoring opportunities as well.

Lack of secondary scoring is a problem, but on paper it's no worse than Arizona or Minnesota. Dallas and Edmonton aren't anything special in the depth department either.

Edmonton doesn't have a better D core or a legit #1D. I wouldn't consider OEL a legit #1 in Arizona, and their D core isn't any better than the Avs. Heisnkanen has had a good rookie year in Dallas, but he's not a legit #1 yet.

The Avs have issues with their roster, but that's not why they're likely to miss the playoffs. They were in the playoffs most of the year until Feb 2nd, and played their way out of it, while other teams that aren't any better on paper played their way into the playoffs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

That's not exactly true. Soderberg could hit 50 points, and Compher if he was healthy could have hit 45. Varly is above league average sv% this year and Grubs is getting close to that level aswell. Depending on how you view Barrie he's certainly a borderline top pairing guy.

Our second line needs to become better, and our goaltending needs to be better would be more accurate but you cant pinpoint to those two areas and say those are strictly the reasons why we're likely to miss the dance this season. We simply didn't have much puck luck this year and didn't score goals like we did last year. Goaltending also took a step back closer to league average where it was a real strength for us last year.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
The Avs are going to miss the playoffs because the roster is simply not good enough. Its decent enough to squeeze into one of the wildcard spots like they did last year, however hoping that to happen two seasons in a row is playing with fire. Its not an effort or mentality issue, the Avs top guys try their best but the supporting cast around
I disagreed. The main reason Avalanche will not make it is because of that awful December and January recod. if either goaltender played decently, we would have been in the playoff spot right now.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Average goaltending and a .500 OT record, and we're playing for a division title
I have to agree with this. Don't get me wrong people. This team has quite a few holes to fill but I refuse to think that the team is as bad as their record. This team outplayed a lot of their opponents this season. The one major thing to fix for next year is the fragility of the team. I find that overall they responded well to bad games with very good efforts but if they happen to lose that game as well then the team falls apart and unfortunately they go into long bad streaks. That's on the coach as much as the players. Even during their long bad streaks very often they would play very very well until something bad happened during the game (usually bad goaltending and bad penalties) and then fall apart again.

They obviously need a better 2nd line to take some pressure off the 1st line but like some other people have said with decent goaltending during that 2 month stretch and an average OT record and this team is battling for top of division.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Dang so we're gonna do this "play just well enough to miss the playoffs AND ruin our draft pick" thing again, huh?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dang so we're gonna do this "play just well enough to miss the playoffs AND ruin our draft pick" thing again, huh?

Yep. Then the team in front of us will pick the player we want (like Sergachev/Jost).

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
AVs pick ranges in the 9-12, enough for Knight. The player they most need and more likely gone after 15.
IF they pick him then I'm OK with finishing on the bubble (even though it still hurts our lottery odds). I'm not convinced they'll draft him though.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
IF they pick him then I'm OK with finishing on the bubble (even though it still hurts our lottery odds). I'm not convinced they'll draft him though.
I'm hoping to pick in the 7-9 range, so we can maybe grab someone who falls.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Average goaltending and a .500 OT record, and we're playing for a division title
This is why the "they were never good enough to make the playoffs" rings hollow to some of us. This team had a playoff spot in their hands despite the crap depth, & despite the goaltending, and we pissed it away with the team imploding & the GM failing to stop the bleeding.

Last edited:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
This is why the "they were never good enough to make the playoffs" rings hollow to some of us. This team had a playoff spot in their hands despite the crap depth, & despite the goaltending, and we pissed it away with the team imploding & the GM failing to stop the bleeding.
They were definitely good enough to make it, but I didn't expect any success.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Have to disagree. I think there's been plenty of moments within games, where the effort hasn't been there. Especially lately. For prolonged periods in games, or entire periods. Plus mental mistakes in coverage and turnovers have been a huge issue all year. Mental mistakes in not bearing down on your scoring opportunities as well.
Every single team in the league has moments where they look like they don't care at all, the Avs are no different. The weaker the team the more likely you are to see garbage play and "mental" mistakes which I just consider a product of a average roster.

Our second line needs to become better, and our goaltending needs to be better would be more accurate but you cant pinpoint to those two areas and say those are strictly the reasons why we're likely to miss the dance this season. We simply didn't have much puck luck this year and didn't score goals like we did last year. Goaltending also took a step back closer to league average where it was a real strength for us last year.
The goaltending was the worst in the league for 2 months, how is that not an issue? The Avs scoring outside the 1st line is a massive issue as well, we probably have the worst record in the league when the 1st line does not score goals.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Yep. Then the team in front of us will pick the player we want (like Sergachev/Jost).
I was so pissed off when both Keller and Sergachev were off the board, it was so tantalizingly close. I wonder what this team would look like now if either fell to us.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Every single team in the league has moments where they look like they don't care at all, the Avs are no different. The weaker the team the more likely you are to see garbage play and "mental" mistakes which I just consider a product of a average roster.

The goaltending was the worst in the league for 2 months, how is that not an issue? The Avs scoring outside the 1st line is a massive issue as well, we probably have the worst record in the league when the 1st line does not score goals.

And we had the best goaltending in the league for the first two months. Over the course of 82 games that stuff balances out.

Secondary scoring needs to be better but again we have another forward at 43 points and 2 more tracking to hit 40. It hasn't been completely nonexistent.

Quite honestly this team probably deserves a better fate then where we are. Goal differential is generally a decent indicator of how good or bad a team is over the course of the year and if you look at ours, we should be in a playoff spot compared to the other teams in the West around us.

If there's one single thing to point to for why we are where we are in the standings, our OT record is what you look at. 3-13 in extra time is simply not good enough. If you look at the other teams in the west in the playoffs, none of them have more then 8 losses in OT/Shootout and most have even less then that.

We really didn't seem to put much emphasis on that part of the game this year in practice and it has hurt us a tonne.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
What's going on with Keller this year? Sophomore slump?
I haven't watched him a ton this year, but I wouldn't be surprised, but still 50+points as a sophomore season when its all said and done, could be a lot worse. I sure as shit would much rather have him than Jost.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I was so pissed off when both Keller and Sergachev were off the board, it was so tantalizingly close. I wonder what this team would look like now if either fell to us.

Drafting has been much better in recent years.
  • 2015 Rants = Werenski
  • 2016 Jost < Sergachev
  • 2017 Makar > Hischier or Patrick
  • 2018 Kaut ?
AVs missed on Sergachev after beating the Habs on their last game together. Keller was never realistic. The bigger problem is drafting beyond the 1st round. Getting a better 1st round position is less of a concern then adding prospects on the deeper picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad