2018/19 Armchair GM

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Voracek has not only had a better career than Schenn but has been more consistent. Schenn, while only two year younger, has finally hit 70 points on a season, when his previous best was 59. In the last 5 years, Voracek's lowest point total was 55, and outside of that, every other year was 61+ points, including two 80+ point seasons. So I don't think the two are comparable at all. Schenn is the lesser player.

I don't think you've come across the term 'rich man's' before have you? Haha. That's what i meant. He's a better version of him, and that's frustrating in itself.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Bigger need for defense? We have a bunch of really good young D-men in the pipeline waiting to come up. Morin, Myers and Sanheim could all see full time next year. Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, Myers and Hagg could be this team's future in terms of D and I don't think we need to go out trading Voracek for that when we have good talented D who are ready now. Besides, the level of offense we can get from Ghost, Provy, Sanheim and possibly Myers is perfectly fine. We don't need to go out and get a Doughty or a Karlsson.
But the Flyers have good talented wingers in the pipe too who should be ready shortly. NAK is probably ready now. Allison and Rubtsov should be ready in 2019-2020. There are the two firsts who could be ready as soon as 2019-2020 also.

When are those prospect defensemen going to be put into the lineup? When is this coach going to trust them? I would love to write up a lineup next year of a top 4 of Provorov- Ghost and Sanheim- Myers but I don’t think the management will do it. They will put crappy vets into the lineup. Sanheim will be spoon fed. Myers probably isn’t even on the team. If you have to have vets in the top 4, how about getting a good one?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The top 6 will have Provorov, Ghost, Hagg and Sanheim in it. Morin will probably be the #7 and Myers will probably start in the AHL and be the first injury call up.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
But the Flyers have good talented wingers in the pipe too who should be ready shortly. NAK is probably ready now. Allison and Rubtsov should be ready in 2019-2020. There are the two firsts who could be ready as soon as 2019-2020 also.

When are those prospect defensemen going to be put into the lineup? When is this coach going to trust them? I would love to write up a lineup next year of a top 4 of Provorov- Ghost and Sanheim- Myers but I don’t think the management will do it. They will put crappy vets into the lineup. Sanheim will be spoon fed. Myers probably isn’t even on the team. If you have to have vets in the top 4, how about getting a good one?

Our forward depth is no where near as good as our defensive depth. While we have some good forwards that should be able to join the Flyers in the next couple years and possibly make an impact then, we do have d-men now that can come up and play. Even with what Hextall said we need to start moving forward with our younger players and I think 3 of the younger D-men will be full time players next year.

Sanheim, Morin and Myers are too good to be kept in the AHL. With them coming up, the only others left that would need to be dealt with are Gudas, AMac and Hagg. Honestly, I could see Gudas being sent down and the same could be said for Hagg just to keep AMac up. If anything, at least one of them is going down the AHL and the other two will be the #6 and #7. Getting rid of Manning was a HUGE thing for Hexy to do, especially for the future of our D because he always seemed to be the largest wrench in the machine when it came to people getting unstuck or to be able to play. I really hope that AMac gets bought out and if that's the case, then they can re-sign Hagg and keep a top 7 of Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, Myers, Hagg and Gudas. 2 rookies there but all the toughness and skill is there to do well in the NHL.

At this point, just like Vorobyev, I think there is no point to keeping him down in the AHL. If I'm right, I think Myers has been really good in both pre-seasons he's been in with the Flyers, so he's definitely due.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Our forward depth is no where near as good as our defensive depth. While we have some good forwards that should be able to join the Flyers in the next couple years and possibly make an impact then, we do have d-men now that can come up and play. Even with what Hextall said we need to start moving forward with our younger players and I think 3 of the younger D-men will be full time players next year.

Sanheim, Morin and Myers are too good to be kept in the AHL. With them coming up, the only others left that would need to be dealt with are Gudas, AMac and Hagg. Honestly, I could see Gudas being sent down and the same could be said for Hagg just to keep AMac up. If anything, at least one of them is going down the AHL and the other two will be the #6 and #7. Getting rid of Manning was a HUGE thing for Hexy to do, especially for the future of our D because he always seemed to be the largest wrench in the machine when it came to people getting unstuck or to be able to play. I really hope that AMac gets bought out and if that's the case, then they can re-sign Hagg and keep a top 7 of Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, Myers, Hagg and Gudas. 2 rookies there but all the toughness and skill is there to do well in the NHL.

At this point, just like Vorobyev, I think there is no point to keeping him down in the AHL. If I'm right, I think Myers has been really good in both pre-seasons he's been in with the Flyers, so he's definitely due.
I hope you are right that they play the defense prospects but I am not sure after watching the team this year that you can have any confidence in this coaching staff to actually play these kid in meaningful minutes. I am not even sure Sanheim won’t be healthy scratches repeatedly this upcoming year for some 7th defenseman vet Hextall brought in to ride the pine.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The top 6 will have Provorov, Ghost, Hagg and Sanheim in it. Morin will probably be the #7 and Myers will probably start in the AHL and be the first injury call up.

One reason to root for a long Calder Cup run is if Myers has a good showing over 20 games or he has a much better shot at making the roster - I think he was a shoo in before he missed so much time with injuries - but the playoffs are providing an opportunity for him to make up that time at a higher level of competition.

With Myers and Vorobyev, it's when not if, and Vorobyev is being hurt by missing the playoffs, as is Morin.
The best way to convince Ron you're ready to start in the NHL is to star in the AHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Prospects don't sit because of veterans, veterans are there because prospects aren't deemed ready.
Patrick could have been made the 4C the first half of the season or even not dress, instead he got 3C minutes and after the Allstar break close to 2C minutes (would have had 1-2 more a night if he was on the PK).
Provorov lead the team in minutes.

Prospects who don't play as much aren't as NHL ready, or are limited in their roles.
TK won't get over 15 minutes until he plays the PK and won't get to 17 minutes until he moves up to PP1.
Sanheim played 15 minutes a night last year, will probably play 17-20 depending on whether he plays on the PK.
Laughton will play 12-14 minutes if he's the 3rd line LW, 10-12 if he's the 4C.

You see this all over the league, players usually increase their minutes from their rookie season to their third season as they move up the food chain (from bottom six to top six, from 3rd pair to second pair) and garner more ST time.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I doubt that, but I think we're definitely being more creative.
Until he does something more than throw a bandaid on a roster spot until a prospect comes, I am going to assume he is only thinking about throwing a bandaid on a roster spot until a prospect comes.

Reactions: Rebels57

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I doubt Ron is planning to go after JT, but if he was, we wouldn't know about it.

I doubt it as well. Not sure it's the best idea to do that unless he really gets JT at a great price. Too many kids that will need re-signing in the next few years for it to be a big, long contract with guys like G and V making bank.

Reactions: renberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I doubt it as well. Not sure it's the best idea to do that unless he really gets JT at a great price. Too many kids that will need re-signing in the next few years for it to be a big, long contract with guys like G and V making bank.

Not really true. If they bridge Konecny and Sanheim they wont be getting big deals until Girouxs contract is nearly off the books. We also have MacDonalds $5 million coming off in 2 years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And he acquired them because he didn't want to waste assets for short-term fixes for a marginal playoff team.
Just look at some of those TDL deals the last few years.

It's hard to be patient when you can make a deal that might garner a few more points in a playoff run, but if you're team isn't good enough to go deep into the playoffs, what's the point? We're not Carolina, desperate to even have one playoff game. Even during a rebuild, we made the playoffs two of four seasons.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not really true. If they bridge Konecny and Sanheim they wont be getting big deals until Girouxs contract is nearly off the books. We also have MacDonalds $5 million coming off in 2 years.

Konecny, Provorov and Sanheim.
In a couple years Patrick and Myers.
In 3-4 years, Frost.
Giroux' contract has 4 more years, Voracek 6, and
Couts only has 3 years left, and at age 29, I don't think they'll want him to walk.

It starts adding up quickly in 3-4 years, just when JT would be declining but his $11-12M would have 4-5 years to run.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fans of a team that have allocated at least $20 million of the cap each of the past 4 years (at least) on terrible worthless depth players are against signing Tavares.

Makes sense to me lol.

Reactions: BillDineen

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Basing your decisions off what you have to play 4-5 years down the road is a way to remain a team in purgatory. We don’t even know who will be on this team in 5 years but we all know what we will pay them?

Sanheim and Konency aren’t breaking the banks. Patrick could but he still has a long journey to become a 6-7 million dollar player. Provorov needs to be locked up this offseason to an 8 year deal worth 6.25-6.75 annually.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fans of a team that have allocated at least $20 million of the cap each of the past 4 years (at least) on terrible worthless depth players are against signing Tavares.

Makes sense to me lol.

If you can sign him to a 3 year deal, I'd be happy with an overpay.
But 8 years at $11-12M? He's not worth it for the Flyers, who already have two top centers.

Reactions: achdumeingute

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
If you can sign him to a 3 year deal, I'd be happy with an overpay.
But 8 years at $11-12M? He's not worth it for the Flyers, who already have two top centers.

Because you can afford three? Tavares can only be signed for 7 years as a UFA, that would make him 34 when it expires. Tavares is only 28, and players of his caliber don't generally fall off a cliff at 30. The Flyers should absolutely pursue Tavares. No excuse to sit on $20+ million in cap space because of prospects who may be expensive in a few years.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The last 1-2 seasons that was because of Filppula and Lehtera, who he acquired.

He acquired Filp to fill the 3rd line center role, which we desperately needed. Can't blame him for that acquisition since he was addressing a clear-as-day need.

Lehtera is a push in the Schenn trade. We still wouldn't have that money free. We'd have Schenn, but we weren't doing anything with Schenn anyway. Now we have Frost and another asset.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

All depends on who Hexy keeps and how much he'd get JT for, plus the extent of the bridge deals. It COULD work, but it'd have to be a good number (meaning somewhere between 7.5-8.5 million AAV IMO) and not these outrageous max-contracts people propose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad