2018/19 Armchair GM

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Obviously you have to have some limits in what you offer.

If Tavares wants 8 years at 11 million per, you can’t do that. I’d think Stamkos deal is most analogous, & he got 6 years, 8.5 per

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If Tavares wants 8 years at 11 million per, you can’t do that. I’d think Stamkos deal is most analogous, & he got 6 years, 8.5 per

7 years is the max for UFA's changing organizations.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Explain why this team can’t afford Tavares at 7/11M per.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
But it took so long to get out of cap hell. Why would the Flyers voluntarily go back to it?:sarcasm:
Well the Flyers are at a crossroads IMO. Either they are willing to add cap and term or they are just waiting for Frost and Hart at this point. If they are just waiting for them, that means you can pretty much piss away next year and probably the year after as both adjust to the NHL.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Well the Flyers are at a crossroads IMO. Either they are willing to add cap and term or they are just waiting for Frost and Hart at this point. If they are just waiting for them, that means you can pretty much piss away next year and probably the year after as both adjust to the NHL.

Agree with this completely. If you add a player like Tavares or even ROR to a lesser extent, there’s a possibility you contend for the East in Hart and Frost’s rookie season. If the intention is to wait for Frost to grow, you’re looking at only capitalizing on the Couturier contract for 2 years at best.

You just need to look across the state to see that Pittsburgh won two cups with an inexperienced goalie and an average defense.

Reactions: Ruck Over

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
His "track record" meaning 1 goalie trade (Mrazek)?

What goalie do YOU want him to go get? Carey Price? Bobrovsky? Quick?

Then explain how he gets them and for what price.
By his track record I mean how he missed whenever he brought players in. Just the fact that he is even considering bringing filppula back is enough for me not to have any confidence in his ability to judge talent.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I hope Tavares signs an extension with the Islanders sometime today so that we don't have to talk about it anymore. Not that there's anything wrong with speculating, it's just for ****s and giggles and that's what this board is for, but I may do a cannonball off a high dive into an empty pool nonetheless.

I have brought this up a few times, and this is just my personal preference, but I would rather see our prospects grow and develop and don the orange blouse when they are ready than snip a ****ing guy from the ****ing Islanders, regardless of how good he is. I think we will end up just as competitive in the long run, and for a longer run, it will just take longer to get there. And really, when our key pieces are closer, when we have some idea what we have - and not for nothing, when the prospects have played in the NHL and increased their value significantly (i.e the "Brandon Carlo Effect") - that's when I could get behind a move like signing a Tavares. It just makes no sense to me whatsoever to do it now. This is after 40+ years of watching us do things that way, and fall short.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia

Stamkos would not have signed at $8.5 AAV if the cap was at $80 million when he was about to be UFA.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I hope Tavares signs an extension with the Islanders sometime today so that we don't have to talk about it anymore. Not that there's anything wrong with speculating, it's just for ****s and giggles and that's what this board is for, but I may do a cannonball off a high dive into an empty pool nonetheless.

I have brought this up a few times, and this is just my personal preference, but I would rather see our prospects grow and develop and don the orange blouse when they are ready than snip a ****ing guy from the ****ing Islanders, regardless of how good he is. I think we will end up just as competitive in the long run, and for a longer run, it will just take longer to get there. And really, when our key pieces are closer, when we have some idea what we have - and not for nothing, when the prospects have played in the NHL and increased their value significantly (i.e the "Brandon Carlo Effect") - that's when I could get behind a move like signing a Tavares. It just makes no sense to me whatsoever to do it now. This is after 40+ years of watching us do things that way, and fall short.

Outside of Frost possibly starting on the wing, which isn’t that uncommon for prospects like him, how is adding Tavares hurting the development of our prospects?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Outside of Frost possibly starting on the wing, which isn’t that uncommon for prospects like him, how is adding Tavares hurting the development of our prospects?

It's not hurting them at all. But he would be taking the place of one, and I like them better. On top of that, I just don't agree that we should be spending 12 million a year on a center when we already have two top 6 centers in the fold - it doesn't make any sense to me. I know you are on some kind of crusade with this idea, and that's fine, but you aren't going to change my mind.

Reactions: Magua

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It doesn't directly hurt the prospects right now, but by having Tavares, Couts and Patrick up the middle, you're basically dooming any center we draft that can't adapt well to the wing. Not only that, I do think that by making Patrick go to 3rd line C duty for a long duration is a bad idea for his development.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It doesn't directly hurt the prospects right now, but by having Tavares, Couts and Patrick up the middle, you're basically dooming any center we draft that can't adapt well to the wing. Not only that, I do think that by making Patrick go to 3rd line C duty for a long duration is a bad idea for his development.
If the Flyers sign Tavares, that likely means Couturier isn’t getting resigned in 4 years. So I wouldn’t worry about it blocking any prospect.

Does Tavares have any history of playing wing?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stamkos would not have signed at $8.5 AAV if the cap was at $80 million when he was about to be UFA.

He also took a discount to stay on a great team in a state with warm weather and no income tax.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

In 2-3 years, if Tavares was still at center(I think he’d be on the wing)I’d envision Couturier being the “3rd line” center. I see it as an absolute luxury and gift to have a $4.3M, selke caliber player centering your third line.

Also, we aren’t going to be drafting a center nearly as good as Tavares. The goal is to ice the best team possible. You can load up on wingers and defensemen in the next 5 drafts if you have Tavares, Couturier, Patrick, Frost, Laughton, Rubstov, Vorboyev, etc in your organization.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Joy, relegating Couts back to the 3rd line with 3rd line wingers who don't do shit for him. While he broke out this year, I don't see the good in putting him back with bottom 6 players again. With that kind of shit, he'll never be considered for the Selke again, especially with the lack of points you'd be able to produce on the 3rd line.

I take signing JT as a "f*** your shit" wrench in the gear type of move. Meant to change things up but that means basically f***ing up too many other things. Plus, I seriously doubt we would get him over the Habs. Habs need a #1C and I can bet you they'll pay more than we ever would for it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Joy, relegating Couts back to the 3rd line with 3rd line wingers who don't do **** for him. While he broke out this year, I don't see the good in putting him back with bottom 6 players again. With that kind of ****, he'll never be considered for the Selke again, especially with the lack of points you'd be able to produce on the 3rd line.

I take signing JT as a "**** your ****" wrench in the gear type of move. Meant to change things up but that means basically ****ing up too many other things. Plus, I seriously doubt we would get him over the Habs. Habs need a #1C and I can bet you they'll pay more than we ever would for it.

Couturier would be playing with bottom 6 wingers? Also who gives a f*** if he gets Selke votes? Isn’t the idea to win a cup?

Giroux-Tavares-X
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
14/19/Simmonds Return-Couturier-Konecny

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Couturier had 5 points on line 3 playing on one knee playing with garbage in game 6. He's good enough to hold his own line. Just give him some speed on the wings and he could put up 50 points. If Couturier was the 3rd line center, they are a cup contender.

Reactions: Rebels57

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Joy, relegating Couts back to the 3rd line with 3rd line wingers who don't do **** for him. While he broke out this year, I don't see the good in putting him back with bottom 6 players again. With that kind of ****, he'll never be considered for the Selke again, especially with the lack of points you'd be able to produce on the 3rd line.

I take signing JT as a "**** your ****" wrench in the gear type of move. Meant to change things up but that means basically ****ing up too many other things. Plus, I seriously doubt we would get him over the Habs. Habs need a #1C and I can bet you they'll pay more than we ever would for it.

What the hell is it f***ing up!?!? It gives you the best top 9 in the league for 4-5 years while allowing a ton of prospects to develop in the minors until they’re ready.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
What the hell is it ****ing up!?!? It gives you the best top 9 in the league for 4-5 years while allowing a ton of prospects to develop in the minors until they’re ready.
Sign JT end of story. Seen that man on a shit team will a series win over the hard nosed florida Panthers who I think was coach by gallant. He's a need on this team.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Sign JT end of story. Seen that man on a **** team will a series win over the hard nosed florida Panthers who I think was coach by gallant. He's a need on this team.

I’m not even under the belief that we need Tavares to succeed, but I’ll never understand not wanting to add a top 10 forward who is in his prime when it does absolutely nothing to change the blue print that’s been in place since Hextall took over.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If the Flyers sign Tavares, that likely means Couturier isn’t getting resigned in 4 years. So I wouldn’t worry about it blocking any prospect.

Does Tavares have any history of playing wing?

I would rather have Couts than JT, hands down.
Couts is a Flyer and plays like one, JT would be a mercenary.
Plus Couts is a better all around player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They absolutely can. They've wasted $20 million each of the last 4 years on terrible players that provided little value.

$20M a year? And for how many years?
The problem with JT isn't 2018-19 and 2019-20, it's 2020-21 and going forward for four more years.
And he isn't good enough to make this team a Cup contender the next two years without a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad