2018/19 Armchair GM

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have seen Myers thrown into a few of these fantasy trades lately. The kid, if he pans out, is basically a unicorn in today's NHL - a smooth-moving, tough, big, right-shot D-man, So why would we entertain moving him? Also, since he hasn't played in the NHL yet, his value - despite what I wrote above - is significantly suppressed. You don't move a kid like that, especially not now.

We're not ready to go for it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have seen Myers thrown into a few of these fantasy trades lately. The kid, if he pans out, is basically a unicorn in today's NHL - a smooth-moving, tough, big, right-shot D-man, So why would we entertain moving him? Also, since he hasn't played in the NHL yet, his value - despite what I wrote above - is significantly suppressed. You don't move a kid like that, especially not now.

We're not ready to go for it.

100% agree.

Also, this 100% sounds like a deadhead post. He would probably agree.

He f***ing loves using the word "unicorn" by the way. In his younger days I imagine he frolicked with many a unicorn while on his gargantuan serving of hallucinogenic drugs. It's waxing nostalgic.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Good luck finding ain his prime center for sale without a drastic overpaidment. Teams tend to hold onto cost controlled productive assets with term. Even with only a year left, it will cost a lot. Whatever someone thinks is a fair deal for Simmonds, that will likely be the cost plus.

Who do teams trade? They trade guys who are significantly underperforming their contracts, have only a year left until free agency and they think they will cost too much to resign, or they are a malcontent. Even rebuilding teams don’t dump cost controlled assets until their contracts are almost up. And in those cases, it’s still deadline prices for only a years time because they can always just wait to the deadline.

So if the Flyers are not willing to take term, they will have to overpay for a soon to be UFA. That’s not worth a top 20 pick IMO.

We know it will cost a pretty penny. Teams for whatever reason do make trades where they move younger players though. Either they struggled after a productive year or they don’t fit the “culture” of the team. Or they are going into a rebuild and need to start acquiring assets.

It’s not impossible to find youngish center. I’ve stated I want ROR. Slightly older but has term and would give us balance through all four lines.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
We know it will cost a pretty penny. Teams for whatever reason do make trades where they move younger players though. Either they struggled after a productive year or they don’t fit the “culture” of the team. Or they are going into a rebuild and need to start acquiring assets.

It’s not impossible to find youngish center. I’ve stated I want ROR. Slightly older but has term and would give us balance through all four lines.
I am trying to think of players you have described that were traded and the only situations where a multi year cost controlled asset became available was when they were malcontents. Can’t think of any rebuilding situations where a 24-26 year old was moved who wasn’t coming up on a large contract extension the team didn’t want to pay. That situation doesn’t really fit what the Flyers want to do if they are just waiting on Frost. It doesn’t make sense to use big assets just for a years time.

So who are the current malcontents out there? ROR is the only one I can think which I actually would be in favor of. Can you think of any others?

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
Morin will make the NHL roster, maybe Vorobyov and NAK as well. Other than Hextall re-signing Filp (I hope not), I don't think we will see any major additions. We will basically see the same team.

I would personally love to see Hextall take a risk by trading for a goalie. I believe Hart is going to be outstanding but that will come with time. We have gone way too long without reliable goaltending. If you want the team to make it back to the playoffs, you need a reliable goalie.

The team also needs to stick with the young defense. Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg should all stay in the lineup. They need to ride the wave (good and bad) and let the kids improve.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, with how Myers is, I seriously can't see him not being in the lineup next year. I can't see how Myers is less of a player than Gudas or AMac or Hagg... oh right, our coach...

I seriously find that as long as any shitty vet has a contract, Hak will find a way to play them. Read was one of the lesser shitty vets and he barely played, but the worst of the worst constantly played.

But seriously, I want Sanheim, Morin and Myers to be regulars next year. So f***ing badly.

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Morin-Hagg
Gudas

Top 4 D right there has some insane skating and puck moving power while the bottom pairing has the ability to grind down teams physically and kill penalties.

But you know Hak won't do it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Signing JVR for 8 m a year isn't really the asset Tavares at 11m is. Look at teams desperate for a 1C and what they would pay. Habs traded for Weber despite that contract at a steep price (MB is a moron though). The result of drafting well should be you have value contracts throughout your lineup and not an extra 2m on a player like Read, 4m on a player like Lehtera and 1m on Weise. Overpaying for a top player in the league isn't really an issue as long as your lineup isn't littered with the overpaid trash like ours has been.

25 year old Tavares: 70 points
26 year old Tavares: 66 points

All I am saying is that if THAT Tavares is getting paid 11 million, then we have made a huge mistake and overpay. Especially considering Giroux put up similar numbers at 8.5 million and was called a cap dump around here by half the board.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Morin will make the NHL roster, maybe Vorobyov and NAK as well. Other than Hextall re-signing Filp (I hope not), I don't think we will see any major additions. We will basically see the same team.

That would make sense, except that they would be about $16m under the cap. It's hard to imagine a Flyers team going into a season like that.

Reactions: kelmitchell

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
That would make sense, except that they would be about $16m under the cap. It's hard to imagine a Flyers team going into a season like that.

I think Vorobyev gets a 2nd season in the AHL. He's missed more of this one with injury than Myers has.
He forgot to mention we were getting ovechkin as a cap dump from the caps

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

All I am saying is that if THAT Tavares is getting paid 11 million, then we have made a huge mistake and overpay. Especially considering Giroux put up similar numbers at 8.5 million and was called a cap dump around here by half the board.

I'd also point out that 27 year old Tavares probably has inflated statistics due to the Islanders' offense only scheme.
To be fair, he's pretty consistently around 50 ES points, 56 at 21, 54 at 24, 51, 46, 51 the last three seasons.
But that's as a 1C, on the Flyers he might be only a 40-45 ES guy, a solid 2C, since I doubt they'd break up Giroux and Couts after Couts put up 62 ES points.
And who would he replace on the PP?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Couturier, obviously.

let the rest of the league fight over JT, we should be going hard at Doughty and Karlsson. they are far more needed than another center.

They aren't free agents, though. People shouldn't get comfortable with our current center depth. All it took was one freak injury in practice to blow that to pieces.

I really couldn't care less if dumb f***s can't figure out why the cap hit would be $3m higher for Tavares signing as a UFA in 2018 versus Giroux signing in 2013.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I will say, JT on our PP would sure be nice.

I would even put Jake in the slot just to have JT and his shot in Jakes open ice. Even have JT drift upward toward the blueline as another point shot weapon.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We already have Patrick, Couts and Simmonds for 2 PP slots, just not sure we'd get much more production out of JT.

For those who don't think Patrick can approach JT's production at 2C, JT is the best evidence:
19 - 82g 20-34 54; 13-16 29 ES
20 - 79g 29-38 67; 20-23 43 ES
21 - 82g 31-51 82; 24-32 56 ES

It does not take long for elite centers to reach full scoring output, Patrick will be 20 and able to work out this summer.
He was on a 53 point pace after the allstar break, same as JT at 19.

I'd pay $12M a year for JT on a 3 year deal, but 8 years?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

a-little-louder-for-the-people-in-the-back.jpg

Reactions: Tripod

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I am trying to think of players you have described that were traded and the only situations where a multi year cost controlled asset became available was when they were malcontents. Can’t think of any rebuilding situations where a 24-26 year old was moved who wasn’t coming up on a large contract extension the team didn’t want to pay. That situation doesn’t really fit what the Flyers want to do if they are just waiting on Frost. It doesn’t make sense to use big assets just for a years time.

So who are the current malcontents out there? ROR is the only one I can think which I actually would be in favor of. Can you think of any others?

There are also the ocassional hockey trades. The Debbies and Ducks made such a trade just last year.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

You're discounting the general sentimental love JT is gifted just because. Age aside, JT and Giroux are very similar players (JT more a shooter, Giroux a passer). But JT always gets the benefit of the doubt Giroux does not. So I worry not about the potential negative waves, JT seems to be made of teflon.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah JT is a solid player, but let some other team pay him $11 mil/year, they need to try and upgrade the goalie position until Hart gets up, yes they could be probably the deepest C depth league wide but still a shitty goalie will wash that right out, I (and I’m bias) would hope Hexy could work some magic and trade for Doughty

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
We already have Patrick, Couts and Simmonds for 2 PP slots, just not sure we'd get much more production out of JT.

For those who don't think Patrick can approach JT's production at 2C, JT is the best evidence:
19 - 82g 20-34 54; 13-16 29 ES
20 - 79g 29-38 67; 20-23 43 ES
21 - 82g 31-51 82; 24-32 56 ES

It does not take long for elite centers to reach full scoring output, Patrick will be 20 and able to work out this summer.
He was on a 53 point pace after the allstar break, same as JT at 19.

I'd pay $12M a year for JT on a 3 year deal, but 8 years?

I think it simply comes down to you just drastically under appreciating how good John Tavares is. He’s been stuck with one of the worst organizations in sports so I guess I can understand it.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'll put my agreement level at around 80%. Myers has shown pretty much every quality for which one could ask in a defenseman ... except health. That makes me a touch nervous about his long-term impact. This is responsible for 10% deducted from my agreement.

The other 10% stems from the possibility that some other GM, who may or may not have a seemingly disgruntled and underappreciated Swedish Norris-level defenseman on his roster, may have even more interest in Myers than we do.

My Karlsson fantasy acquisition is the sort of niggling mental tickle that persists no matter how much my logical side considers the wild improbability and significant drawbacks of the assets it would require. But one never knows where the priorities are for other teams' roster options. And if Myers is fantastically a key piece in the deal, it would be worth pursuing.

For any old deal? Absolutely not. But if a franchise-boosting deal could be made that doesn't empty the vault, I am all ears.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->