2018/19 Armchair GM

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Well, yeah, thus short term. The difference between a two year deal in a decent market here, not too far from home, and a four year deal from who knows where might be negligible to Bozak if we make up for it with higher cap hit. We have the cap space to do that. There’s no bigger forward need than 3C right now, the D can be filled internally, and goaltending needs to be fixed but likely through trade. So I don’t know what else is worth throwing money at.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Re: Coyle, they’d probably ask for TK.

I would do 19th for Coyle and Ennis. I love Coyles game.

They can ask all they want but thats not realistic. Coyle is 25, only has 2 years left to UFA, and coming off of a bit of a downyear based on his previous season.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Well, yeah, thus short term. The difference between a two year deal in a decent market here, not too far from home, and a four year deal from who knows where might be negligible to Bozak if we make up for it with higher cap hit. We have the cap space to do that. There’s no bigger forward need than 3C right now, the D can be filled internally, and goaltending needs to be fixed but likely through trade. So I don’t know what else is worth throwing money at.

Yep, there's no way I'm dipping into that market for pretty much anyone else.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Hamilton would be perfect, but he'd cost an arm and a leg, say, our #14, Sanheim and Morin as starters.

Klefbom makes no sense, he's Sanheim three years older, and would cost you Sanheim +.
I wonder if it would make some sense to dangle Voracek in either scenario. Over on the Calgary boards, I read they wanted a top line RW and Edmonton has said that one of their priority’s this offseason was getting a speedy winger to play with McDavid. Edmonton would have to add something significant in the Klefbom deal.

Yes trading Voracek is opening up one hole to fill another but I would rather the hole be on right wing and not in the defense.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I’ve preached minor changes and patience for a while and I feel that it’s precisely what we should do again. I’d love to go for Hoffman or Grabner for the second line, go for Dell for the backup slot and see if we can move on the rest of the toss not listed below. We ride out the penultimate year of MacDonald and let Flip, Read and Manning walk.

Giroux Couturier Konecny
Hoffman Patrick Voracek
Raffl Laughton Lindblom
NAK Vecchione Leier

Provorov Ghost
Sanheim Morin
Macdonald Hagg

Elliott
Dell

Waive/Trade: Weal, Lehtera, Weise, Gudas, Neuvirth, Mrazek

It’s 19/20 that really excites me. Potential of Frost, Vorobyev, Hart, Myers and more to come.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I wonder if it would make some sense to dangle Voracek in either scenario. Over on the Calgary boards, I read they wanted a top line RW and Edmonton has said that one of their priority’s this offseason was getting a speedy winger to play with McDavid. Edmonton would have to add something significant in the Klefbom deal.

Yes trading Voracek is opening up one hole to fill another but I would rather the hole be on right wing and not in the defense.

Trading Voracek would likely turn a significant strength (RW depth) into a real weakness, especially if Simmonds moves on too. Grabner is available, but I don’t like a 1-2-3 of Konecny, Grabner and Lindblom. Not quite enough there.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Trading Voracek would likely turn a significant strength (RW depth) into a real weakness, especially if Simmonds moves on too. Grabner is available, but I don’t like a 1-2-3 of Konecny, Grabner and Lindblom. Not quite enough there.
The Flyers bleed goals. I think there are options to limit the loss of Voracek on PP1 so the biggest loss would be at even strength scoring. The Penguins put up 5 goals in all but two games against the Flyers this year so I can live with a hit on wing for improvement there.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Nash and Bozak would cost too much for the third line. Most LWers that we would grab for the 2nd line position would either be too expensive or a bit too far up there in age. The free agency pool this year is not the greatest when it comes to what the Flyers have and what they need.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
They only did that on special teams in the regular season (which is why Lappy deserves to be fired more than any coach in the league). At 5 on 5 they were 9th best in GA.

NHL.com - Stats

Seriously, Lappy sticking around and Hexy backing him saying that he has confidence in him is f***ing garbage. Pure f***ing loyalist garbage. Lappy being "one of the boys" is legit hurting this team probably more than anything else.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

I actually love that 1-2-3, provided he came at a fair cost. Lindblom should be the 2 and Grabner the 3 but still.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Voracek should be traded because he's a winger who didn't have a good six game playoff series, then Giroux should be traded, as well. Then we will have the space to take on every cap dump in the league.

Reactions: Magua

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
They only did that on special teams in the regular season (which is why Lappy deserves to be fired more than any coach in the league). At 5 on 5 they were 9th best in GA.

NHL.com - Stats
No doubt Lappy should be fired but it wouldn’t hurt to get another decent defenseman back there penalty killing. I wonder how many of those goals were because of a failed clear by a defenseman?

Doesn’t matter. It’s not like Hakstol would put a Dougie Hamilton on the penalty kill. He doesn’t have enough grit or something.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why are people giving up on Lindblom as the #2 LW with Patrick?
They had great chemistry, let them play and grow together, the fact that Lindblom struggled in the playoffs at 21 with two months of NHL experience doesn't mean he can't play.

People are really impatient around here, if you're going to develop prospects, you have to learn to live with their ups and downs.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
If Voracek should be traded because he's a winger who didn't have a good six game playoff series, then Giroux should be traded, as well. Then we will have the space to take on every cap dump in the league.

I don’t think that’s why people want to move him. He’s like a rich man’s Schenn. Talented but frustratingly inconsistent. I don’t want to move him, but I’d at least have a look at what we could get.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Am I the only one that doesn’t want Nash. He has averaged low 20 points throughout his career except this year.

This is the type of free agent you regret signing to a deal I feel.....

Nash is way overrated. No thank you

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Probably stems from him being a Penguins player forever, older and cheap shots or something.
But I just read recently that he's the type of guy that rescues young prospects in snowstorms because he believes they have the skills the become the first white player in the league. Sounds like a "heart and soul guy" to me!

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don’t think Voracek should be traded because of the last playoff series. However if he can be used to fill what’s IMO is a bigger need on defense, I wouldn’t hate the idea. He does carry a large caphit to 35, something people seem to hate for free agents but seem ok with because he is home grown. The Flyers shouldn’t just dump him for picks and prospects either but if they can get an important younger piece, I don’t see the problem.

The fact is if you want something significant back in trade, you have to give up something significant. You can’t trade junk for gold.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I don’t think that’s why people want to move him. He’s like a rich man’s Schenn. Talented but frustratingly inconsistent. I don’t want to move him, but I’d at least have a look at what we could get.

Voracek has not only had a better career than Schenn but has been more consistent. Schenn, while only two year younger, has finally hit 70 points on a season, when his previous best was 59. In the last 5 years, Voracek's lowest point total was 55, and outside of that, every other year was 61+ points, including two 80+ point seasons. So I don't think the two are comparable at all. Schenn is the lesser player.

I don’t think Voracek should be traded because of the last playoff series. However if he can be used to fill what’s IMO is a bigger need on defense, I wouldn’t hate the idea. He does carry a large caphit to 35, something people seem to hate for free agents but seem ok with because he is home grown. The Flyers shouldn’t just dump him for picks and prospects either but if they can get an important younger piece, I don’t see the problem.

The fact is if you want something significant back in trade, you have to give up something significant. You can’t trade junk for gold.

Bigger need for defense? We have a bunch of really good young D-men in the pipeline waiting to come up. Morin, Myers and Sanheim could all see full time next year. Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, Myers and Hagg could be this team's future in terms of D and I don't think we need to go out trading Voracek for that when we have good talented D who are ready now. Besides, the level of offense we can get from Ghost, Provy, Sanheim and possibly Myers is perfectly fine. We don't need to go out and get a Doughty or a Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad