Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You believe that because you picked him in your fantasy league :P

Or I picked him in the fantasy league because I believe that. LITN and I were talking about him a while ago on this forum when the u17 tournament was going on.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
****, I've been a fan of Dembele. Him going to the enemy breaks my heart :-(
Not saying I wanted him in Madrid, just the fact he is going to Barcelona lol).
In the long term he will be better than Neymar imo

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This puts Barcelona in a bad situation.

They now have to operate under the assumption that Dembele will play for them next season. They could previously maybe pit Dortmund and Liverpool against each other with prices. Dembele not showing up for training now makes it a situation where we can name our price. Dembele is going to try and force a transfer, Barcelona is likely going to come and get him, and we'll get the price we want.

If not, we say no. Dembele can pout for a month, and then he'll apologize, and play out the season with Dortmund. No footballer's gonna sit out a full season of their career. Previously we might've had to make a choice on taking a questionable price for Dembele, now we have all the leverage. We either get to keep the player another year or they meet an overpayment.

Except Dortmund were always going to be able to name their price

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Also Dortmund just released an ad-hoc statement, that a transfer is currently not very likely.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This would be quite the window if every team refused Barcelona. A few other teams have all been rebuked already for various targets and Neymar's move was a matter of buyout clause.

Very interesting.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
This puts Barcelona in a bad situation.

They now have to operate under the assumption that Dembele will play for them next season. They could previously maybe pit Dortmund and Liverpool against each other with prices. Dembele not showing up for training now makes it a situation where we can name our price. Dembele is going to try and force a transfer, Barcelona is likely going to come and get him, and we'll get the price we want.

If not, we say no. Dembele can pout for a month, and then he'll apologize, and play out the season with Dortmund. No footballer's gonna sit out a full season of their career. Previously we might've had to make a choice on taking a questionable price for Dembele, now we have all the leverage. We either get to keep the player another year or they meet an overpayment.
It's also a World Cup year and he'll want to play a lot of minutes so that he can make the cut for a competitive French team.If he sits and pouts, he is also losing precious development time.The kid basically has 0 leverage in this situation.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It's also a World Cup year and he'll want to play a lot of minutes so that he can make the cut for a competitive French team.If he sits and pouts, he is also losing precious development time.The kid basically has 0 leverage in this situation.

Exactly what I've been saying. :nod:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Maybe now Barcelona will send Neymar's paperwork... kinda classless how they're handling this situation.

Not sure if it's true, but I read an article yesterday that said they were examining all the paperwork and check from the buyout. They have 30 days to do so. With that sort of money at stake I think it's fair that you make sure everything is in order. Perhaps Neymar and PSG should have done their homework as to the potential timelines and trigged the clause sooner, like say before August 1st.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Also something to (possibly) consider: BILD reported that a noteworthy percentage of the fee would go to Rennes - they suggested 25%. So, out of a possible €120M fee, that would be "just" €90M for BVB...

Yup, read the same as well. Yesterday it was being reported Dortmund wanted atleast 150M because of that Rennes stipulation

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
With Mor heading out and it looking more and more like Dembele will as well where does that put Pulisic? Into the starting lineup or will he still be seen as a rotation player?

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
With Mor heading out and it looking more and more like Dembele will as well where does that put Pulisic? Into the starting lineup or will he still be seen as a rotation player?

Starting lineup for sure, but Mor was no competition anyway for him.

Pulisic and Reus are the two best wingers left in this scenario - with Reus obviously being injured for a while.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dortmund would only get like 112.5 for a 150M transfer. When you have all the leverage, you can essentially name the price, so Dortmund can ignore the Rennes percentage, and ask what they'd actually want without this Rennes percentage to sell the player.

Definitely over 140 is what I'd ask for. Wouldn't start discussions until they put 140 out there. Something between 140-150 is fair. I think 145 would probably be the fairest price for both clubs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Pulisic is a starter, whether any of them are transferred or not. He'd start at least until Reus returns, and then even if no one left and Reus returned, he still may start. They might've just moved Pulisic or Dembele centrally.

He'll have more responsibility, if Dembele goes. Mor has no effect on Pulisic.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Dembele going about his transfer in the worst possible way.

I'm happy that Liverpool at least managed to tell Barcelona to get stuffed.

Why shouldn't players do what they can, to earn as much as they can, while they can?
Yup.

The players are the draw, the players are why there's any money in the game to begin with. They deserve every red penny they can get, and if not with one club, than with the next.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Dortmund would only get like 112.5 for a 150M transfer. When you have all the leverage, you can essentially name the price, so Dortmund can ignore the Rennes percentage, and ask what they'd actually want without this Rennes percentage to sell the player.

Definitely over 140 is what I'd ask for. Wouldn't start discussions until they put 140 out there. Something between 140-150 is fair. I think 145 would probably be the fairest price for both clubs.

I got mocked a few weeks back when I suggested that Dembele will eventually be better than Neymar. Honestly, I stand by it. And if BVB don't at least get 75% of 222 million for Neymar they're foolish. People who haven't seen Dembele play week in and week out talk about him like he's a risky buy oozing with potential, but the fact of the matter is that he's already a world beater—with loads of potential to boot.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Why shouldn't players do what they can, to earn as much as they can, while they can?

Well that's certainly a cynical view, Dembele is figuratively doing more than what he can, which is what is egregious. He has a contract with BVB, therefore he shouldn't be intentionally skipping training. He can request a transfer privately without skipping training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad