Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I read somewhere today that he was in Paris waiting for permission to fly to Spain, but I can't remember the source now

Some media outlets (one was BILD) had him in Paris, others (Sky and I think L'Equipe) had him on the way to Barcelona, but Zorc said Dembele was and still is in Dortmund.

I trust Zorc more than any of the media on this.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
IMO they don't need to give Lovren competition. They need someone who is clearly better than Lovren and will start most matches alongside Matip. Van Dijk is that boy.

We can agree to disagree. Lovren was a big part of the team that didn't lose a single game against the top 7 teams and had wins against all of them except United. They allowed a very small number of goals against those teams also. He had a few stinker games, but for the most part he was excellent. He has all the tools to be one of the top defenders in the league and needs to focus on his concentration. Defenders typically get better with age, experience and familiarity and he's getting into those peak years now and has had time to settle into Klopp's system.

Don't forget Matip had a few stinkers also and easily could have cost the team points if not for great back-up play and some excellent Mignolet saves. If anything I'd rather see Lovren + van Dijk than van Dijk + Matip. Lovren brings a lot to the team.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
Billions in the sport. TV money, internatinal money, all kinds of money. It's the premiere form of entertainment around for many, and it reaches nearly every corner of the globe. Get over it.

When's the last time you were at the Lane? They parade around old stars to the lodges and boxes to gladhand any shmoe that comes around. I've been.

I want ticket prices lowered like the rest of the conscious world, but that doesn't make Rose's claim any less valid.

They play professionally for 10-15 years tops, they're entitled to every last penny in the sport.

Rose got a pay rise less than a year ago, not long before he got injured, surely he can struggle on with $100k pw until he's up & running again. Seriously, salary & transfer caps are long overdue or let's just guarantee that the same 6/8 clubs are entitled to all the trophies or simply award trophies on bank balances, at least the players wouldn't get injured.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
We can agree to disagree. Lovren was a big part of the team that didn't lose a single game against the top 7 teams and had wins against all of them except United. They allowed a very small number of goals against those teams also. He had a few stinker games, but for the most part he was excellent. He has all the tools to be one of the top defenders in the league and needs to focus on his concentration. Defenders typically get better with age, experience and familiarity and he's getting into those peak years now and has had time to settle into Klopp's system.

Don't forget Matip had a few stinkers also and easily could have cost the team points if not for great back-up play and some excellent Mignolet saves. If anything I'd rather see Lovren + van Dijk than van Dijk + Matip. Lovren brings a lot to the team.
As somebody that watched all Liverpool games last year I have no idea what you are talking about regarding Matip.. He was even better than advertised.
On the other hand, I still have fond memory of Lovren clueless play versus Crystal Palace.

Lovren is a disaster waiting to happen. Very inconsistant.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Rose got a pay rise less than a year ago, not long before he got injured, surely he can struggle on with $100k pw until he's up & running again. Seriously, salary & transfer caps are long overdue or let's just guarantee that the same 6/8 clubs are entitled to all the trophies or simply award trophies on bank balances, at least the players wouldn't get injured.
You're on Team Billionaire?

Why should salary caps come around? There's billions of dollars in the sport, why should the players have an artificial cap on their salaries?

The Players Are The Draw.

Every dollar goes around to see them play. Rose is worth whatever he can get.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
Yeah yeah, blame the player. Blame his family. Blame everything except the board. Sure. :facepalm:

Levy better quit if he's not willing to pay for talent. The players deserve every penny, they're not a charity. They're risking their careers and get zero loyalty in return.

Agreed. That's why Rose isn't doing anything wrong and Dembele is doing it all wrong. Don't get me started on Neymar.

Dembele's been unprofessional and went about this in the wrong way, for sure.

What Rose did wrong was to go to a vile tabloid The Sun & slag off his club, his team mates, the board, the fans, all he had to do was follow the correct procedure & place a transfer request even though he got a pay hike right before he was injured & was likely to get another in the very near future.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
You're on Team Billionaire?

Why should salary caps come around?
There's billions of dollars in the sport, why should the players have an artificial cap on their salaries?

The Players Are The Draw.

Every dollar goes around to see them play. Rose is worth whatever he can get.

To restore competition, the rest is fluff.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
What Rose did wrong was to go to a vile tabloid The Sun & slag off his club, his team mates, the board, the fans, all he had to do was follow the correct procedure & place a transfer request even though he got a pay hike right before he was injured & was likely to get another in the very near future.
I don't read the Sun. I'm simply objecting to your abhorrent anti-labour, pro-billionaire stance.

Then get better management than Daniel Levy.

edit: He slagged off his pathetic club's pathetic transfer policy. Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. The Spurs are a small time club with a small time mentality - if Rose thinks he can upgrade, he should upgrade without being called selfish or names.

Mind, I have the same criticism of my preferred club's board too. It's not an insult, it's a fact of the sport. There are bigger fish. Now with the state of Qatar meddling in transfers, and the looming ad-bubble, god knows what's going to happen.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

Parity and competition at the top is what makes the matches interesting and what also drives the value of the clubs themselves. At some point, it will have to occur.

Not to mention, if City or United could avoid paying 200k a week for a reserve left back, they would in a heartbeat. It's the players who hurt in a cap.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't read the Sun. I'm simply objecting to your abhorrent anti-labour, pro-billionaire stance.

This is a rather interesting stance to take in the entertainment industry. How is it an anti-labour/pro-billionaire stance? Because these athletes who get paid ridiculous amounts of money to play a game for a living should have more power? Does it really make a difference either way? The teams wouldn't be there without the players, sure, but the billionaires would still have plenty of money without the teams. Yes, the owners/teams should have more of the power...it's their money, and it's not like you own a sports team ATM because it's overly profitable.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane

Then get better management than Daniel Levy.

edit: He slagged off his pathetic club's pathetic transfer policy. Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. Spurs are a small time club with a small time mentality - if Rose thinks he can upgrade, he should upgrade without being called selfish or names.

Mind, I have the same criticism of my preferred club's board too. It's not an insult, it's a fact of the sport. There are bigger fish. Now with the state of Qatar meddling in transfers, and the looming ad-bubble, god knows what's going to happen.

Sure, that's why a 63000 capacity stadium is now going up swallowing the old footprint of White Hart Lane.

The first paragraph makes zero sense.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Agreed. That's why Rose isn't doing anything wrong and Dembele is doing it all wrong. Don't get me started on Neymar.

I can see Rose's statements as him wanting Tottenham to strengthen the squad after they've sold some pieces but I can also see the angle of him wanting to move on because of that as well.

Dembele is either an idiot or getting really bad advice.

In regards to Neymar, I honestly don't know if it's him that pushed for everything or if it was his dad. Either way, if there's no investigation into that transfer I'll be amazed.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
Parity and competition at the top is what makes the matches interesting and what also drives the value of the clubs themselves. At some point, it will have to occur.

Not to mention, if City or United could avoid paying 200k a week for a reserve left back, they would in a heartbeat. It's the players who hurt in a cap.

This is wrong, these financially doped clown shows spend that money as deterrence against teams who actually have to employ fiscal responsibility, it's chump change to them & used to establish monopoly & it's working.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
This is a rather interesting stance to take in the entertainment industry. How is it an anti-labour/pro-billionaire stance? Because these athletes who get paid ridiculous amounts of money to play a game for a living should have more power? Does it really make a difference either way? The teams wouldn't be there without the players, sure, but the billionaires would still have plenty of money without the teams. Yes, the owners/teams should have more of the power...it's their money, and it's not like you own a sports team ATM because it's overly profitable.
"To play a game for a living" is disingenuous and I don't think you want to participate in a real discussion.

Players take massive risks to play professionally - only a tiny sliver of a percent of footballers every become professional and self-sustaining in the sport. They aren't in the 'game' industry, they are in the talent industry. Billions of people the world over want to watch THESE players, the best in the world, do what they do. Every red cent in the sport's ecosystem is due to the sport and its players. Not the owners, investors, oil money billionaires, oligarchs, etc.

It's not the owner's money except in the rarest of cases - most teams, most leagues turn a profit off FANS and ADVERTISERS. Stop worshipping investor's for god's sake. They're the ones not doing anything. The fans and advertisers and all of the entire economy is centred around the players.

Sure, that's why a 63000 capacity stadium is now going up swallowing the old footprint of White Hart Lane.

The first paragraph makes zero sense.
Spurs are finally catching up, good for them.

Probably going to lose Kane before long if they keep up their horrible transfer and wage policy.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
In regards to Neymar, I honestly don't know if it's him that pushed for everything or if it was his dad. Either way, if there's no investigation into that transfer I'll be amazed.
Neymar's a grown man, it's on him. He saw the payday and the opportunity to do... whatever he thinks he can do in a sub-standard league.

This is wrong, these financially doped clown shows spend that money as deterrence against teams who actually have to employ fiscal responsibility, it's chump change to them & used to establish monopoly & it's working.
I don't disagree that the clubs are overpaying bad players. But that's the economy in the sport, there's a lot of money in it. United can, actually, afford to pay. More power to them.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
"To play a game for a living" is disingenuous and I don't think you want to participate in a real discussion.

Players take massive risks to play professionally - only a tiny sliver of a percent of footballers every become professional and self-sustaining in the sport. They aren't in the 'game' industry, they are in the talent industry. Billions of people the world over want to watch THESE players, the best in the world, do what they do. Every red cent in the sport's ecosystem is due to the sport and its players. Not the owners, investors, oil money billionaires, oligarchs, etc.

It's not the owner's money except in the rarest of cases - most teams, most leagues turn a profit off FANS and ADVERTISERS. Stop worshipping investor's for god's sake. They're the ones not doing anything. The fans and advertisers and all of the entire economy is centred around the players.

Spurs are finally catching up, good for them.

Probably going to lose Kane before long if they keep up their horrible transfer and wage policy.

Kane is on £100k, so we'll see.

BTW who do you support,I can't be bothered to go thread mining, but if obliged to bet I'd bet Chelsea.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think it's fair to point out that very few owners are actually profiting off their team. It's not like the money that wouldn't be going to the players would be going in the owners' pockets. That money gets sunk back into the team. Most owners have to subsidise their team so I'm not sure the argument is really being framed properly.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think it's fair to point out that very few owners are actually profiting off their team. It's not like the money that wouldn't be going to the players would be going in the owners' pockets. That money gets sunk back into the team. Most owners have to subsidise their team so I'm not sure the argument is really being framed properly.

They're playing the long game. The clubs value goes up and one day they can sell it or pull the money out. For others, there's some validation to their own despotic rule or ego.

I am aware United and others can pay stupid wages. But I'm also aware that profits and getting richer is also a motivating factor. There's some validity in the suggestion that at some stage when they escalate too much that even the top end will be willing to talk about screwing the players to make more profits. They can't right now as too many aren't willing to stop and many more haven't felt the strain, but at some stage spending that cash on non stars is not sustainable.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Kane is on $100k, so we'll see.

BTW who do you support,I can't be bothered to go thread mining, but if obliged to bet I'd bet Chelsea.
Grew up a Bayern supporter, but in Canada so that's the extent of that fandom. Nominally preferred Chelsea because I liked Ballack (and Lampard). But recently I've moved to London and have decided that I have no allegiance like authentic, local fans and so I should enjoy the sport in general.

Kane is worth more than 100K, that's the problem. He can probably get close to that, post-tax, if he was willing to move to the bigger EPL clubs or any of the other massive ones on the continent.

Levy is going to ensure Spurs stay exactly where they are. Not at the big boy table.

Jul 7, 2009
Paris U said they are able to confirm that Mbappe should be a PSG player before the 31'st.

Da **** is going on.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There's two sources of revenue here (actually more, but let's keep it simple) - operating profit and appreciation. These clubs are appreciating in value at an incredible rate. Almost every owner is going to make a profit, a happy one.

To claim that players are selfish for wanting raises over their small, short career span is just inaccurate and mean-spirited.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
Grew up a Bayern supporter, but in Canada so that's the extent of that fandom. Nominally preferred Chelsea because I liked Ballack (and Lampard). But recently I've moved to London and have decided that I have no allegiance like authentic, local fans and so I should enjoy the sport in general.

Kane is worth more than 100K, that's the problem. He can probably get close to that, post-tax, if he was willing to move to the bigger EPL clubs or any of the other massive ones on the continent.

Levy is going to ensure Spurs stay exactly where they are. Not at the big boy table.

In fact I meant to say £100k for Kane, which is more like $150k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad