Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
If Klopp wasn't the manager I'm pretty sure Liverpool would have bent right over.
I'd love for Liverpool to win some silverware this year.

What are their positions of need? Have they added anyone significant this year?

Well that's certainly a cynical view, Dembele is figuratively doing more than what he can, which is what is egregious. He has a contract with BVB, therefore he shouldn't be intentionally skipping training. He can request a transfer privately without skipping training.
Referring to Danny Rose

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well that's certainly a cynical view, Dembele is figuratively doing more than what he can, which is what is egregious. He has a contract with BVB, therefore he shouldn't be intentionally skipping training. He can request a transfer privately without skipping training.

Should've quote what I was replying to, I was referring to Danny Rose.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

They needed a left back and added Robertson. Any left back is good compared to what they had defensively.

Needed another wing player and added Salah, who I think is massively underrated here for some reason.

Even though they've promoted some players from the academy, the ranks are thin. They still need a CB and a CM.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

Referring to Danny Rose

Should've quote what I was replying to, I was referring to Danny Rose.

My bad.

It's an interesting discussion though, not just about football. People who chase money beyond a certain threshold are sometimes viewed negatively; maybe less so here in the states.

If you're in a PR firm and your job is to make a multi-millionaire businessman/women look sympathetic, your rhetoric is going to revolve around him/her "building up a company and a legacy". Not "accumulating vast sums of currency, a.k.a. flammable paper, to spend on yachts, cars, and aesthetic surgery for spouse(s)".

Of course, Rose may have been subconsciously trying to do just that with his interview, criticizing Spurs' transfer market ambitions and thus the quality of football, but anybody knows that Spurs are at the same level in terms of football, so the move has to be financially motivated.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

In my opinion they need at least one CM (with creativity) and a CB for me to feel confident of them finishing top 4.

I also think they need another winger, but that's doubtful.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My bad.

It's an interesting discussion though, not just about football. People who chase money beyond a certain threshold are sometimes viewed negatively; maybe less so here in the states.

If you're in a PR firm and your job is to make a multi-millionaire businessman/women look sympathetic, your rhetoric is going to revolve around him/her "building up a company and a legacy". Not "accumulating vast sums of currency, a.k.a. flammable paper, to spend on yachts, cars, and aesthetic surgery for spouse(s)".

Of course, Rose may have been subconsciously trying to do just that with his interview, criticizing Spurs' transfer market ambitions and thus the quality of football, but anybody knows that Spurs are at the same level in terms of football, so the move has to be financially motivated.

Most people will view it as a millionaire just looking for more money and they think that money could be of better use doing something else. I look at the reality of it, the money will either be with the player or the billionaire owner. I don't care who gets, because none of us are getting it, so might as well support the player trying to maximize his earning potential.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not sure if it's true, but I read an article yesterday that said they were examining all the paperwork and check from the buyout. They have 30 days to do so. With that sort of money at stake I think it's fair that you make sure everything is in order. Perhaps Neymar and PSG should have done their homework as to the potential timelines and trigged the clause sooner, like say before August 1st.

There's really no way you can even try to spin a defense to Barca's board decisions here.
They absolutely are ridiculous.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool keeping Coutinho means they only need a CB to replace Klavan in the pecking order and give competition to Matip and Lovren. Their starting XI is as good as any in the league though, and with Klopp at the helm they'll punch above their weight in that respect even with their bench/youth players. Injuries would be my only concern otherwise I think Liverpool will challenge for the title.

Still think van Dijk ends up here but who knows.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Barcelona really does their best to **** off the club from which they're trying to buy a player, don't they?

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
Dembele going about his transfer in the worst possible way.

I'm happy that Liverpool at least managed to tell Barcelona to get stuffed.

Yup.

The players are the draw, the players are why there's any money in the game to begin with. They deserve every red penny they can get, and if not with one club, than with the next.

Actually fleecing the punters is the prime reason the money is there, but carry on. Hey, let's skip a step, just use the SPL model, only allow one club to have a chance.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I got mocked a few weeks back when I suggested that Dembele will eventually be better than Neymar. Honestly, I stand by it. And if BVB don't at least get 75% of 222 million for Neymar they're foolish. People who haven't seen Dembele play week in and week out talk about him like he's a risky buy oozing with potential, but the fact of the matter is that he's already a world beater—with loads of potential to boot.

If you are asking my opinion, that is why I don't sell him, it devastates the team this season, but why would I think they care about the sporting side of the game anymore at this point?

Dembele would be the exact player I'd target, if I was Barcelona. I have no clue how this has become a Dembele and Coutinho equation. Coutinho's a nice add-on, but he couldn't shine Dembele's shoes, in terms of eventual potential. It should not be either/or. For Barcelona, it should be Dembele or Mbappe, potentially Griezmann, but thats not going to happen, so it would have to be Dembele or Mbappe.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
My bad.

Of course it is & it's cynical & dirty as hell, likely instigated by Rose's Uncle Mark (Rankine) who also happens to be his agent & coincidentally Kyle Walker's agent. Daniel Levy better keep looking over his shoulder to keep Poch on board.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Don't have issues with a player trying to maximize how much they earn as for most once their playing career ends they see little income beyond that unless they go into coaching, punditry, or try their hand at investing it into something else so setting yourself up for the rest of your life is completely understandable.

I do have issues with players basically thinking they can refuse to honor a contract because someone wants to offer them more money when the club they're currently at would rather have them honor their current contract and said contract lacks a release/minimum fee clause in it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Barcelona really does their best to **** off the club from which they're trying to buy a player, don't they?

The way the press there unsettles players is totally disgusting. Not saying it's straight from the club or not. When papers post that three signings are done (Dembele, Coutinho, Martinez) they're asking for this to happen though. Immediately puts clubs on the defensive. An army of reporters who don't take any of the selling clubs wishes into account when reporting things is the worst part of it.

I think it also has to do with the player. If Coutinho stamps his feet, Klopp would let him go.

Maybe, but I can see Klopp only getting angry at that. Good thing the player is a model professional. Not too many out there like him. Could never see him doing something like that.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
The way the press there unsettles players is totally disgusting. Not saying it's straight from the club or not. When papers post that three signings are done (Dembele, Coutinho, Martinez) they're asking for this to happen though. Immediately puts clubs on the defensive. An army of reporters who don't take any of the selling clubs wishes into account when reporting things is the worst part of it.

Maybe, but I can see Klopp only getting angry at that. Good thing the player is a model professional. Not too many out there like him. Could never see him doing something like that.

The Real Madrid standard procedure.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

I was referring more to Dembele skipping the training session. Probably something Barca told him to do. Or maybe he just overslept who knows.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Liverpool keeping Coutinho means they only need a CB to replace Klavan in the pecking order and give competition to Matip and Lovren. Their starting XI is as good as any in the league though, and with Klopp at the helm they'll punch above their weight in that respect even with their bench/youth players. Injuries would be my only concern otherwise I think Liverpool will challenge for the title.

Still think van Dijk ends up here but who knows.

IMO they don't need to give Lovren competition. They need someone who is clearly better than Lovren and will start most matches alongside Matip. Van Dijk is that boy.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Actually fleecing the punters is the prime reason the money is there, but carry on. Hey, let's skip a step, just use the SPL model, only allow one club to have a chance.
Billions in the sport. TV money, internatinal money, all kinds of money. It's the premiere form of entertainment around for many, and it reaches nearly every corner of the globe. Get over it.

When's the last time you were at the Lane? They parade around old stars to the lodges and boxes to gladhand any shmoe that comes around. I've been.

I want ticket prices lowered like the rest of the conscious world, but that doesn't make Rose's claim any less valid.

They play professionally for 10-15 years tops, they're entitled to every last penny in the sport.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Don't have issues with a player trying to maximize how much they earn as for most once their playing career ends they see little income beyond that unless they go into coaching, punditry, or try their hand at investing it into something else so setting yourself up for the rest of your life is completely understandable.

I do have issues with players basically thinking they can refuse to honor a contract because someone wants to offer them more money when the club they're currently at would rather have them honor their current contract and said contract lacks a release/minimum fee clause in it.

Agreed. Both sides agreed to the current contract, so at the end of the day, they better show up to work and honor the contract that they agreed to.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Of course it is & it's cynical & dirty as hell, likely instigated by Rose's Uncle Mark (Rankine) who also happens to be his agent & coincidentally Kyle Walker's agent. Daniel Levy better keep looking over his shoulder to keep Poch on board.
Yeah yeah, blame the player. Blame his family. Blame everything except the board. Sure. :facepalm:

Levy better quit if he's not willing to pay for talent. The players deserve every penny, they're not a charity. They're risking their careers and get zero loyalty in return.

Agreed. That's why Rose isn't doing anything wrong and Dembele is doing it all wrong. Don't get me started on Neymar.

I was referring more to Dembele skipping the training session. Probably something Barca told him to do. Or maybe he just overslept who knows.
Dembele's been unprofessional and went about this in the wrong way, for sure.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I read somewhere today that he was in Paris waiting for permission to fly to Spain, but I can't remember the source now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad