2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Just from my perspective, I think Man United has enough on the wings, and too many forwards, they need more full-backs.

Mkhitaryan is a 90 minute player at RW in all the important games, and then you have Lingard supplement him as a back up, if need be. On the other wing, Rashford starts, not his ideal position, but he can start and Martial can be his back up. Mata plays central attacking midfield, if you want a more attacking presence in the lineup instead of Matic or Herrera. If not, he's a back up. So just from my perspective, everything covered there.

At the full-back positions, I still think Man United's weak there. If Mourinho hates Shaw, you need a new starter there. Blind is a platoon player, not a starter. And while the Valencia experiment seems to be going okay, I'm not sure I think he's a great RB or anything like that. Darmian isn't that good either.

A few things...

I agree that fullback is an area of concern but that's simply because there's no attacking threat coming from there. I rag on Darmian (Jose's choice at LB) a lot because he's an offensive black hole, but he's still very good at defense. Shaw holds all the cards here, if he can stay healthy, the position his for the taking. Jose doesn't hate him, dude just can't stay healthy.

You're wrong about Valencia btw. He's a beast offensively and one of the best in the league last year, if not the best (IMO). Plus there's TFM as his backup and he's one of the best prospects out there.

We just don't have that many options in the wing. Martial is inconsistent, Rashford is a striker, Micki and Mata are #10s. Even if the latter two can play in the wing, they prefer to come inside and be a playmaker rather than go down the touch line and cross the ball. Lingard, I don't even wanna touch that. The lack of numbers in the wings make it a bigger concern than LB or RB for me.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Chelsea board really doesn't have any excuses if they don't bring in 3-4 quality guys with the amount of money raised in the past couple windows from players sales.

Matic basically covers Bakayoko, Oscar covered Morata, Ake+Traore covered Rudiger. Have also sold Cuadrado, Begovic, Atsu, and Chalobah. And will eventually get a fee for Costa.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Chelsea board really doesn't have any excuses if they don't bring in 3-4 quality guys with the amount of money raised in the past couple windows from players sales.

Chelsea net spend this window as things stand is what, 10m?

We still have victor moses starting wingback.. yikes.

In the past 8 months we have lost Oscar, Mikel, Matic, Chalobah, RLC..

And have only brought in Bakayoko. We need another backup midfielder.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
This would be the dumbest thing to do in history as we all learned from BVB and Lewandowski. If he wants out, then sell his ass and get the funds to potentially go after and steal Griezmann from United once Atletico isn't banned anymore. Or perhaps penny up to Lemar's price tag and a 50 million pound Alexis fee would pay 70% of it.

Again, if we have a done deal for a legit replacement, by all means sell him to the highest bidder but if Wenger pulls a Wenger and stolls like we all know he can, runs out of time to find a replacement, it'll lead the selling team to increase their demands knowing we're desperate and the window is about to be closed. You buy now, with Sanchez and sell him once we've got our replacement.

The other thing is that the other team has to want to sell or the player himself has to want to play for us and Monaco sold several key asset this summer, so moving Lemar doesn't seem all that realistic from their pov if they want to be somewhat relevant. As for Griezmann, I don't see him turning down United over us.

With that said, my comment was in reference to us not buying Sanchez's replacement before selling him and that if we can't buy a proper replacement, I'd rather keep him in order to clinch a spot in the CL with the notion we'll be losing him for free. IMO, we'd be in better shape to sign key players with a spot in the CL.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Garay, Skrtel, for instance

Garay was in his late 20's by the time he got to Russia. There's no way you can make that claim.

Not sure about Skrtle though.

In any case, this doesn't give me any confidence. It's definitely not a great career move considering how much better the French league is at development.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why is it not good ? Zenit is playing in CL almost every year (except this one :laugh:)

Because a lot of talents have stagnated with Zenit due to the sloppy style of play in the RPL and the anti-football that's so prevalent. Witsel & Kokorin in particular are ominous forebearers to Paredes & Driussi.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So, Costa is getting frustrated with Atletico not doing enough to bring him back and could end up with an awkward return to Chelsea.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Skrtel was developed well at Zenit, looked like a starter when he got to a top team (in those days anyway). I don't know if that means anything in this instance.

Mancini has a good track record developing CB's.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Delete. Dont wanna start dumb team arguments.

No, that's okay, I saw it. It is very funny indeed because people seem to not know the circumstances.

VVD:

No club has offered Southampton any money for VVD.
VVD has been offered to quadruple his wage.
VVD has been on strike for two weeks.
VVD is refusing to play for Southampton ever again.
Southampton do not offer Champions League football.

Coutinho:

Liverpool has been offered money and rejected it.
Coutinho has not been offered to quadruple his wage from 150k to 600k a week.
Coutinho has not missed a single training session.
Coutinho just captained Liverpool on Saturday.
Liverpool have Champions League football.

Apparently VVD is going to hold talks with Southampton this week.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Liverpool are offering Coutinho 600k a week? Wouldn't that put him close to being the most highly paid non-Neymar player in the world?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool are offering Coutinho 600k a week? Wouldn't that put him close to being the most highly paid non-Neymar player in the world?
No, nobody is. That's what I'm saying. VVD on the other hand is being offered to go from 50k to 200k, to quadruple his wage. The situations are not comparable and going on strike or forcing a move is really VVD's only option to get a high salary as Southampton won't give it.

Meanwhile Coutinho is already on high wages at a club that has paid more before. The attempts to find similarities in these two situations are pointless as there aren't any. If Coutinho was to have his wage raised from 150k to 600k by moving to Barcelona, or if Coutinho went on strike, then there's a comparison to be made here.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
No, that's okay, I saw it. It is very funny indeed because people seem to not know the circumstances.

VVD:

No club has offered Southampton any money for VVD.
VVD has been offered to quadruple his wage.
VVD has been on strike for two weeks.
VVD is refusing to play for Southampton ever again.
Southampton do not offer Champions League football.

Coutinho:

Liverpool has been offered money and rejected it.
Coutinho has not been offered to quadruple his wage from 150k to 600k a week.
Coutinho has not missed a single training session.
Coutinho just captained Liverpool on Saturday.
Liverpool have Champions League football.

Apparently VVD is going to hold talks with Southampton this week.

I'm well aware of the difference in situations, I'm talking about the fanbase attitude

At one point, we had posters on here nearly saying "Little **** club, take the money and give us VVD" Was the same for Keita - until Bundesliga fans laid out why RB doesn't need the money nor care.

Now a bigger fish is circling, and how dare they!

Liverpool and fans are Dunkin Donuts, but they think they're Joe's neighborhood coffee - family owned since 1950.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad