Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfer Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Arsenal bidding 40,000,001 for Suarez wasn't punished for tapping up, than nothing should be quite honestly.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As regards to van Dijk, everyone should just wait to see what happens.

I'm sure this isn't over just because Southampton said he was staying there. If they don't raise his wage to what big clubs are offering, he will start becoming a problem.

Example: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11315980.Lovren_to_force_exit_from_Saints_with_pre_season_no_show/

I remember when Payet did this to St Etienne to force a move to PSG. Kombouare (then PSG coach), said he dropped any interest in a player capable of doing this to his club while under contract. :handclap:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not sure I understand the reasonning.
Arsenal made a bid, so...?

They tampered, knew the exact release cause because they tampered, and added exactly £1 to it so they would be over it. That was a joke.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
They tampered, knew the exact release cause because they tampered, and added exactly £1 to it so they would be over it. That was a joke.

I can turn it around and say Liverpool acted illegally when they admitted there actually was a release clause but didn't honour it.

At the time Liverpool were adamant that the Gunners' bid would not trigger the release of their striker, but Henry, speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, appears to have suggested that the Reds simply took a hard line because "apparently these contracts don't seem to hold".

"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry is reported to have said. "He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals, offered £40m plus £1. What we've found … is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/02/liverpool-john-henry-luis-suarez-clause

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I can turn it around and say Liverpool acted illegally when they admitted there actually was a release clause but didn't honour it.

At the time Liverpool were adamant that the Gunners' bid would not trigger the release of their striker, but Henry, speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, appears to have suggested that the Reds simply took a hard line because "apparently these contracts don't seem to hold".

"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry is reported to have said. "He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals, offered £40m plus £1. What we've found … is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/02/liverpool-john-henry-luis-suarez-clause

Well Gerrard convinced Suarez not to honor it and Suarez decided to stay. If Suarez was more passionate about leaving he could have forced the move.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Well Gerrard convinced Suarez not to honor it and Suarez decided to stay. If Suarez was more passionate about leaving he could have forced the move.

That has nothing to do with it. Once the buyout clause was met Arsenal and Suarez would've been free to talk to each other.

But they completely prevented him them from making contact with each other.

You can spin it all you want but Liverpool are no angels when it comes to following transfer rules.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That has nothing to do with it. Once the buyout clause was met Arsenal and Suarez would've been free to talk to each other.

But they completely prevented him them from making contact with each other.

You can spin it all you want but Liverpool are no angels when it comes to following transfer rules.

Right. But they talked BEFORE they made the bid. Which is how they knew the exact number of the release clause, the figures are not publicized in England and they are not standard on contracts. That's not exactly spin.

If Arsenal didn't talk to him in advance how would they know what number to bid + 1 quid to?

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yahoo now claiming that van Dijk's agent is wanting to push through the Liverpool offer as he'd get by far the most money from it compared to from other clubs, and van Dijk is going to throw a fit. They also claim that Klopp sent van Dijk regular video messages. They also say Southampton won't sell, but we'll see about that.

If they don't sell him, ultimately their recruitment will suffer the most.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
They also claim that Klopp sent van Dijk regular video messages.

"Hi, Virgil, I hope you are well. I hope next seasono we spend together. Good luck for the next year as you are in my plan"

The old reverse Conte from Klopp, I expect.

Conte's text message to Costa: “Hi Diego, I hope you are well. Thanks for the seasono [sic] we spent together. Good luck for the next year but you are not in my plan”

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They are in germany. It is illegal to know them, so it's technically illegal for a club in germany to buy a player via a buyout clause.

Well isn't it intended to be that if some team just happens to bid over the unspecified amount, then they the player and the team can discuss personal terms. The bidding team isn't suppose to know it exists, but if they hit it, then it triggers it.

Since all this stuff gets leaked, it doesn't really work like it should though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad