Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfer Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
With Zlatan now officially being released from his contract, that has to guarantee someone like Morata or another striker coming in right? Rashford and Martial are great but they aren't good enough to start at the level that Man United need.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
There are multiple things that haven't been said in this thread that contribute to this whole Van Dijk situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, we've had no 100% confirmation that Southampton has even received a bid that's even remotely worth it. I'd be surprised if we have gotten an official offer that was substantial. Don't forget that Van Dijk has been injured for 6 months. His rehab is taking longer than we originally thought and that could be scaring off (at least for now) most interested clubs.

We've heard about the 50, 60, 75 million euro assessments but we haven't heard any word of an actual offer.
But to be fair... for all we know Southampton could sell next week, although I doubt it...

...Because there's rumours we are being bought by a Chinese company today. Why would we sell our biggest asset while we're in the middle of a takeover? The new company would definitely want to take an assessment of the assets before making an groundbreaking club moves. (Selling Van Dijk applies here)

I think that we'd want to get our feet underneath us with this takeover before we make major moves.

And again... Who says that Van Dijk is upset? His Twitter post yesterday? It's a sponsored tweet for Nike, it's likely innocuous. Van Dijk has mentioned before that he and his girlfriend have gotten settled in and are happy in Southampton. He's the team captain, plus the team's best player, and we're consistently getting upgrades to our positions.

Ralph Krueger has said we don't need to sell any players to keep profit, therefore we're in no hurry to sell anyone. If we fire Puel (likely) and hire someone like Tuchel/Schmidt, we make a good case for at least a Europa spot next season.

:popcorn:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Name a club that has gone through this scenario that had their transfer reputation tarnished?

You and most Liverpool supporters are over-exaggerating this situation.

I am moreso upset with the ineptitude of LFC's front office rather than Soho standing their ground. There has been at least one similar incident more or less every window that FSG has been involved. And it goes back further.

FSG has hired computer nerds instead of anyone that actually knows how to handle a transfer negotiation and the hits keep on coming. They should have hired a guy like Monchi, (who is currently dominanting then in the Salah ordeal), instead of promoting another guy internally.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Isn't the situation more on Klopp than FSG? He's the one who went overboard with the excessive tapping up, from what I understand the management was more than willing to finance the deal.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
With Zlatan now officially being released from his contract, that has to guarantee someone like Morata or another striker coming in right? Rashford and Martial are great but they aren't good enough to start at the level that Man United need.

Yeah, I'd say this pretty much confirms Morata signing. If he is as good as Jose's first signing last summer, I'll have no complaints.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
where is the best place to get transfer news in your opinions? I use Sky sports transfer centre but this thread has info way before that

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
where is the best place to get transfer news in your opinions? I use Sky sports transfer centre but this thread has info way before that

If you want news for specific teams, find the writers with inside connections for those clubs, like Matt Law for Chelsea. You won't get all the rumors, but when it happens, it will be legitimate news.

Since most news about transfers is crap, I usually just do google and here, most things out there on the internet will come here.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If you want news for specific teams, find the writers with inside connections for those clubs, like Matt Law for Chelsea. You won't get all the rumors, but when it happens, it will be legitimate news.

Since most news about transfers is crap, I usually just do google and here, most things out there on the internet will come here.

yeah there is a lot of crap, im a westham fan I know the owners son will post stuff sometimes and they had a insider section on their website which im pretty sure was just the son again seems like its gone though

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
yeah there is a lot of crap, im a westham fan I know the owners son will post stuff sometimes and they had a insider section on their website which im pretty sure was just the son again seems like its gone though

Talk to Jersey Fresh

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm

Look at the club's main supporter forum's transfer thread. For United it's Redcafe, Liverpool has RAWK. They are the ones most up to date with transfer links.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The irony of the fake astonishment against Liverpool and their talking to the player is that's par for the course. United are doing it with Morata presently. Southampton just wants to make a fuss. It happens all the time.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I follow the Man Utd Reddit for transfer news. They're pretty good since they have a tiering system on source reliability

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The irony of the fake astonishment against Liverpool and their talking to the player is that's par for the course. United are doing it with Morata presently. Southampton just wants to make a fuss. It happens all the time.

The irony is watching Liverpool fans, the self appointed people's club, meltdown and basically scream "sell him! we're giving 50m you little **** club" at Southampton.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

It's not against Liverpool is about the fans reaction to it that's funny for outsiders.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Will beat Lyon's transfer record sale (38M for Essien in 2005).

That wouldn't really shock me. I saw numbers €35-40M rumored.

I'm not too familiar with him - what could I expect from him? From a number of posts I know you're pretty high on him and his upside, but how would you describe the way he plays?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The irony is watching Liverpool fans, the self appointed people's club, meltdown and basically scream "sell him! we're giving 50m you little **** club" at Southampton.

I don't think anyone's melting down over that.

I think most of the supporters are just upset about the whole situation. Most of them think it's bush-league from the club to have messed up in this way, mostly about the leaked information to the press, and that the whole situation looks bad on our club in general.

At the end of the day whatever happens happens. I think from a business/footballing standpoint it could end up bad for Southampton if they take a hardline on the player but they're more than within their rights to do so.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That wouldn't really shock me. I saw numbers €35-40M rumored.

I'm not too familiar with him - what could I expect from him? From a number of posts I know you're pretty high on him and his upside, but how would you describe the way he plays?

He's a mix of 8 and 10. He can be unstoppable going forward. He has a big shot and is not afraid to use it.
He'll also act like another striker on crosses and such, he's always in the box.
He's powerful with or without the ball. Technically above average. Non stop motor.

His biggest drawbacks is that he needs to make some strides tactically, he needs some structure. Ancelotti will give him that. His temper needs watching.

Also, he used to play RB, and while he would bring a lot offensively, I didn't like his defensive instincts there. He's much better as an 8.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Liverpool hasn't even made a bid, according to reports. This whole blame towards Southampton for not selling when there has been no bid from Liverpool is unwarranted. Maybe they got a bid from City, but when a player says he'd rather play for a competitor, it makes sense for City to pull out of a deal.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He's a mix of 8 and 10. He can be unstoppable going forward. He has a big shot and is not afraid to use it.
He'll also act like another striker on crosses and such, he's always in the box.
He's powerful with or without the ball. Technically above average. Non stop motor.

His biggest drawbacks is that he needs to make some strides tactically, he needs some structure. Ancelotti will give him that. His temper needs watching.

Also, he used to play RB, and while he would bring a lot offensively, I didn't like his defensive instincts there. He's much better as an 8.

Thanks for the insight! Certainly sounds intriguing. I've read from an allegedly well-connected source this is going to happen, so I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of him, if that holds true.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Lindelof to United is close.

sA3au1r.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3