Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfer Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Don't know if it was mentioned in the other thread but Bournemouth sign Asmir Begovic, massive upgrade for them and 'only' cost 10m

Chicharito to MLS rumors are dying down a bit due to his salary demands, latest club being linked with him is Marseille alone with fellow French club Lyon

Croatian international Domagoj Vida is expected to join Besiktas

Haris Seferovic will join Benfica on a free transfer

US international John Brooks will break the US transfer record should this 17m euro move to Wolfsburg become official. You would assume Pulisic breaks that in a few years :sarcasm:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
US international John Brooks will break the US transfer record should this 17m euro move to Wolfsburg become official. You would assume Pulisic breaks that in a few years :sarcasm:

IDK why you would assume that Will Pulisic will break that. Not a lot of keepers go for that much. :confused:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
So far, Spurs have the kid from Turkey coming over, seems they are on the path to signing Sessegnon, Mahrez appears to be a potential target.

I have an odd feeling they are going to run hard at Pulisic. Don't think they will get him, but he would be the ideal addition for Spurs; American.

With the new stadium hosting multiple NFL games, why not sign the guy who may be the best American ever? Want to make as much money as possible? Sign an American, they already have the best or 2nd best Asian player. Get the best players in emerging markets and see your merch sales explode.

/wonthappenthough

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm just trying to understand Jose Mourinho's transfer market strategy this summer.

From what I've seen, there have been multiple reports of United being linked to Perisic, Griezmann, Bernardo, Douglas Costa, James, and Mbappe so far this summer. My question is why? Rashford and Martial are both strikers that can play on the wing and are young and have plenty of room to grow. Mkhitariyan plays his best as a 10. There's also Mata and Lindgard on the squad getting time. Even if Zlatan and Rooney leave, where is the playing time, even if United get only two of the targets listed above? I understand needing depth in the squad for Champions league, FA Cup, and league games, but players like Rashford and Martial need to be playing and not riding the bench every other game.

Of all the reports I've seen United being linked to attacking players, I've only seen one report of them being linked to a center back, which I believe is a much more pressing need, even with Jones and Rojo having bounce back seasons. United failed to advance past the group stage of the Champions league two years ago in a group with PSV, Wolfsburg, and CSKA. That was an embarrassment, and had a lot to do with not having a strong enough back line.

Now we're seeing Mendy being linked with United. In a vacuum he's a great buy, but what happens to Luke Shaw? He's been injury prone, but there's definitely still potential there. United need a center back more. I don't think I can watch another game of Daley Blind as a center back.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm just trying to understand Jose Mourinho's transfer market strategy this summer.

From what I've seen, there have been multiple reports of United being linked to Perisic, Griezmann, Bernardo, Douglas Costa, James, and Mbappe so far this summer. My question is why? Rashford and Martial are both strikers that can play on the wing and are young and have plenty of room to grow. Mkhitariyan plays his best as a 10. There's also Mata and Lindgard on the squad getting time. Even if Zlatan and Rooney leave, where is the playing time, even if United get only two of the targets listed above? I understand needing depth in the squad for Champions league, FA Cup, and league games, but players like Rashford and Martial need to be playing and not riding the bench every other game.

Of all the reports I've seen United being linked to attacking players, I've only seen one report of them being linked to a center back, which I believe is a much more pressing need, even with Jones and Rojo having bounce back seasons. United failed to advance past the group stage of the Champions league two years ago in a group with PSV, Wolfsburg, and CSKA. That was an embarrassment, and had a lot to do with not having a strong enough back line.

Now we're seeing Mendy being linked with United. In a vacuum he's a great buy, but what happens to Luke Shaw? He's been injury prone, but there's definitely still potential there. United need a center back more. I don't think I can watch another game of Daley Blind as a center back.

Although I haven't seen links to specific CBs, there's been a lot of talk that Mourinho will buy at least 1 CB. Bailly + x is a fine CB pairing with Smalling, Jones and Rojo as proper cover.

In regards to bombing out of the CL, sure the back line wasn't great in the away fixtures against PSV and Wolfsburg, but they also failed hard on attack, scoring only 7 times in 6 matches against that competition. The biggest failure United had this year was finishing, the attacking targets they're linked to help address that.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If I'm Atleti I tell Griezmann "Sure. Just know that all interested parties will be referred to your buyout clause. If no one meets that figure we will see you on insert date he's do to preseason here."

First you shouldn't believe every rumor. That's a potential list that probably includes a realistic target or two along with some speculative targets likely drummed up by the press.

As for who United currently have and the potential buys, you have room for two attacking players. There's either upgrading the squad and/or replacing players who are leaving. And you could see players go. Rooney, Mata, Martial... I've seen rumors for Rooney and Martial and Mata's contract is up next Summer.

As for defense I wouldn't be surprised to see a CB signing, but there are also rumors of Smalling leaving so that's one-for-one. They could also be in for more than one.

I recall reports of Mourinho not liking Shaw. Either way, I'd ask yourself if Mendy is an upgrade and then consider the depth chart. Next season will be the CL and so United will definitely need to upgrade the squad and improve their depth. I've seen the figure of 200 million pounds as a transfer budget. Factor in City's rumored 300 million and Chelsea's 200 million and they will likely need to spend that much just to compete domestically much less a run in the CL.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Plenty of rumors in the past weeks of Barça players heading for the exit this Summer:

-Rafinha
-Mascherano
-Mathieu
-Digne
-Turan
-Denis
-Vidal
-Iniesta
-Mbouma
-Cucurella

On top of that City is apparently trying to raid La Masia for three players and even Benitez apparently wants one.

I'd keep Iniesta. I'd probably hold on to Rafinha, Mascherano, Vidal and maybe Digne. Depends on the offers and who the club can sign as a replacement. Cucurella is a huge priority and they really need to keep hold of him. I'd also keep Mbouma and try and hold on to the kids.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

On the Rashford part, he's way less useful on the wing. He should be played centrally if we actually want him to continue growing as a player, and as far as wingers go we have Martial(who I believe is better on the wing than centrally), Lingard, Mkhi, and Mata( who are both better centrally). Getting someone like Costa would help with some quality and depth for our wingers which we need both of. In saying that I think it should the lowest priority in our transfers this year.

Regarding Shaw it sounds like he may not be in Mou's plans and if he's not than Mendy would be a great replacement. I want Shaw to stay and succeed but it sounds like he may not have the work ethic or the body to make it happen.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Although I haven't seen links to specific CBs, there's been a lot of talk that Mourinho will buy at least 1 CB. Bailly + x is a fine CB pairing with Smalling, Jones and Rojo as proper cover.

In regards to bombing out of the CL, sure the back line wasn't great in the away fixtures against PSV and Wolfsburg, but they also failed hard on attack, scoring only 7 times in 6 matches against that competition. The biggest failure United had this year was finishing, the attacking targets they're linked to help address that.

I saw a report on United being linked to Lindeloff and to van Djilk. Lindeloff is possible, van Djilk is not, IMO. He's going to go for way more than he's worth.

I'm comfortable with Bailly as long as he stays healthy. I'd want someone a bit more proven than Lindeloff for Champions League to go with him, but if Smalling stays, he's acceptable for now.

Griezmann would transform United. I like his versatility. Where he lines up will depend on who else United buys and if Zlatan comes back for one more season. Griez + Zlatan would be a potent attack, though I would wager that Griez lines up as a 10 behind Zlatan. I don't ever see Mourinho lining up with a 4-4-2. If Zlatan goes, Griez is the out and out striker, and United will either

a. continue to employ Mkhi as the starting 10
b. pay through the nose for Hamez even though I have doubts about him fiting into Mourinho's tactics
c. make a shock bid for a player to be determined

If I'm Atleti I tell Griezmann "Sure. Just know that all interested parties will be referred to your buyout clause. If no one meets that figure we will see you on insert date he's do to preseason here."

First you shouldn't believe every rumor. That's a potential list that probably includes a realistic target or two along with some speculative targets likely drummed up by the press.

As for who United currently have and the potential buys, you have room for two attacking players. There's either upgrading the squad and/or replacing players who are leaving. And you could see players go. Rooney, Mata, Martial... I've seen rumors for Rooney and Martial and Mata's contract is up next Summer.

As for defense I wouldn't be surprised to see a CB signing, but there are also rumors of Smalling leaving so that's one-for-one. They could also be in for more than one.

I recall reports of Mourinho not liking Shaw. Either way, I'd ask yourself if Mendy is an upgrade and then consider the depth chart. Next season will be the CL and so United will definitely need to upgrade the squad and improve their depth. I've seen the figure of 200 million pounds as a transfer budget. Factor in City's rumored 300 million and Chelsea's 200 million and they will likely need to spend that much just to compete domestically much less a run in the CL.

I've read everything you outlined, but you said it yourself, how much is to be believed? Rooney I can definitely see being sold to a lower level English club, China, or the MLS even. How huge would he be for a MLS team? He'd be just a notch below Beckham in terms of hype. He still has something left in the tank and is a United club legend, he's just not a starting 11 player for a club like United anymore.

Selling Martial would be even more stupid than selling Memphis was. I may be in the minority, but if I had to choose between Martial or Rashford, I'd choose Martial. Rashford is a better fit for the EPL, but in terms of overall skill, for my money, I take Martial moving forward. United paid too stupid of a transfer fee to give up on him after just two seasons. Let him settle in a little bit. He's a 20 year old kid who just got divorced. I'm sure that he's been distracted this past season as a result. He needs a nice, long summer off free from Euro or World Cup qualifiers to refocus and get himself back in shape to win a starting 11 spot with United for this year.

Mata I could really go either way on. He was a good soldier and had a great season, but he can be upgraded on for sure. This may be the best time to sell him.

I hadn't seen the reports on Smalling wanting out, where did you read that? In that case, United would need to sign two first team CB's, IMO.

I've also heard the same speculation about Shaw and Mourinho butting heads. Shaw hasn't been healthy since coming to United, but I've also heard whispers of Mourinho not being happy with Shaw in training and with his work rate. It will be interesting to see what happens there, as I think Shaw still has a lot of promise if he can stay healthy. If the above is the case, though, signing Mendy makes a lot of sense.

Re: the EPL transfer budgets. **** China. They ****ed over every other top English team outside of Chelsea by coughing up close to 100 million Euros for Oscar and Ramires. What does Chelsea really need? Diego Costa is a headcase. Unless he requests a transfer and Chelsea need a striker, not much really. I guess they can upgrade on Matic, but what midfielders would really be available that would be upgrades? And no, I don't see Verratti going to England. He's going to Spain or Juventus, IMO.

Perisic, Griezmann, Costa & Hamez are all realistic targets for United; though I'm skeptical about Hamez.

Me too. I just don't see how he would fit on United's squad. He'd be a luxury buy. Have Costa and Perisic played on the right side? I know both of them to be left wingers. Rashford and Martial will likely split time at LM/LW this year.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea, Mourinho's comments on Shaw's work ethic is a huge red flag moving forward. Some managers might be inclined to work with players, help them get better and develop necesssary work. Mourinho is not that at all, he'll call a spade a spade and if you don't impress him you can leave.

Sure it's possible for Shaw to come back and be the Luke Shaw United thought they were signing (before injuries and form) but until that actually happens I'd put it high on the list of needed upgrades behind only striker and CB.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I've read everything you outlined, but you said it yourself, how much is to be believed? Rooney I can definitely see being sold to a lower level English club, China, or the MLS even. How huge would he be for a MLS team? He'd be just a notch below Beckham in terms of hype. He still has something left in the tank and is a United club legend, he's just not a starting 11 player for a club like United anymore.

Selling Martial would be even more stupid than selling Memphis was. I may be in the minority, but if I had to choose between Martial or Rashford, I'd choose Martial. Rashford is a better fit for the EPL, but in terms of overall skill, for my money, I take Martial moving forward. United paid too stupid of a transfer fee to give up on him after just two seasons. Let him settle in a little bit. He's a 20 year old kid who just got divorced. I'm sure that he's been distracted this past season as a result. He needs a nice, long summer off free from Euro or World Cup qualifiers to refocus and get himself back in shape to win a starting 11 spot with United for this year.

Mata I could really go either way on. He was a good soldier and had a great season, but he can be upgraded on for sure. This may be the best time to sell him.

I hadn't seen the reports on Smalling wanting out, where did you read that? In that case, United would need to sign two first team CB's, IMO.

I wouldn't offload Rashford and they probably don't need to offload either Rashford or Martial

It's time for Mata if he doesn't renew. That said they could renew him. Were I a United supporter I'd have some serious reservations about seeing him go. All depends on who they sign.

Not sure it was Smalling wanting out, Mourinho wanting him out or both, but he's been linked with a few mid-table sides.

Jul 7, 2009
Plenty of rumors in the past weeks of Barça players heading for the exit this Summer:

-Rafinha
-Mascherano
-Mathieu
-Digne
-Turan
-Denis
-Vidal
-Iniesta
-Mbouma
-Cucurella

On top of that City is apparently trying to raid La Masia for three players and even Benitez apparently wants one.

I'd keep Iniesta. I'd probably hold on to Rafinha, Mascherano, Vidal and maybe Digne. Depends on the offers and who the club can sign as a replacement. Cucurella is a huge priority and they really need to keep hold of him. I'd also keep Mbouma and try and hold on to the kids.

Is the raid dependent on how the Barca B team does for promotion? And really hope some Chinese team opens up the bank for Turan

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I have no issues wit Mata either way. He's still got quality to give to the side, but he's not so important that they can't replace him if he leaves. If they can get a good price, I'd move him, if not, keep him.

I also strongly disagree on Rashford vs Martial. I think Rashford is better now and has a higher potential. Selling him should only happen with a truly stupid offer. Martial I'm less sold on, but I agree I'd like to give him another year at least.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Is the raid dependent on how the Barca B team does for promotion? And really hope some Chinese team opens up the bank for Turan

I doubt it is. They're kids who are going to be 16 and so they can earn far more money moving to England. They can't get those sorts of wages or that sort of contract in Spain until they're 18. Cucurella and Mbouma are different cases though. Their respective contracts are just up. I'll be furious if Cucurella leaves.

I'd love to see that as well. Not sure it will matter though because it doesn't sound like he's interested in China. I'd love for the club to break even on that transfer, but I'd settle for a loss as well.

My biggest concern is who the club target to buy, specifically around the CM position.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I have no issues wit Mata either way. He's still got quality to give to the side, but he's not so important that they can't replace him if he leaves. If they can get a good price, I'd move him, if not, keep him.

I also strongly disagree on Rashford vs Martial. I think Rashford is better now and has a higher potential. Selling him should only happen with a truly stupid offer. Martial I'm less sold on, but I agree I'd like to give him another year at least.

I'm sorry if what I posted was misconstrued. United should absolutely keep both Rashford and Martial. To clarify, I think Martial has a lot more room to grow, and United would be mental to sell him. Agree to disagree on who has the higher ceiling, though. IMO, I think we've seen more or less what Rashford is going to be. A pacey striker with good feet that can score important goals and should be able to net 10-15 goals per season with consistent playing time. I still think that Martial has that world class potential if he has a clear head and is able to utilize his physical tools more consistently. He was able to do everything but that this season. The kid had a ton of off field issues to deal with. I want to see what he can do with consistent playing time and a clear head.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm sorry if what I posted was misconstrued. United should absolutely keep both Rashford and Martial. To clarify, I think Martial has a lot more room to grow, and United would be mental to sell him. Agree to disagree on who has the higher ceiling, though. IMO, I think we've seen more or less what Rashford is going to be. A pacey striker with good feet that can score important goals and should be able to net 10-15 goals per season with consistent playing time. I still think that Martial has that world class potential if he has a clear head and is able to utilize his physical tools more consistently. He was able to do everything but that this season. The kid had a ton of off field issues to deal with. I want to see what he can do with consistent playing time and a clear head.

Rashford score 12 goals in all comps this year in 52 games, although nearly half of those were sub appearances. For minutes played he played between 1/2 and 2/3 of the minutes you'd expect him to play if he was the #1 striker.

If he played as a #1 all season long it wouldn't have been crazy to see him net 20 times in all comps, so 10-15 goal scorer seems way low.

Being under Zlatan this year I think helped his development a ton, at the end of the year he was far more willing to use his strength to win balls and showed he was surprisingly strong on his feet when he wanted to be. He also has a really high soccer IQ, frequently making great runs even if nothing comes of them. Given him a few years to mature, learn when to take certain shots and I see no reason he couldn't net 30-35 in all comps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad