Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I wonder how big of a percentage of the total posts that I alone make up for in this thread lol. I feel like I might have around half the posts in this entire thread haha.

Come on guys, give me something to discuss, there's three long weeks of waiting ahead... :laugh:

You have made 159 out of 951 posts in this thread, or 16.7% if you prefer. Your zone start% is giving your numbers a boost tho IMO. :)

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I still would like our team drafting Yamamoto. He had himself great results from the combine testing. Looked like Bob Stauffer really likes him and Vesalainen.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I still would like our team drafting Yamamoto. He had himself great results from the combine testing. Looked like Bob Stauffer really likes him and Vesalainen.

Agree.

Yamamoto, Thomas, Lind or one of Foote/Liljegren if they're still kicking around.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
My top5 (not necessarily in order) is Thomas, Robertson, Jokiharju, Kostin and Chytil I think.

All relatively safe picks compared to guys like Yamamoto and Brännström while still having a lot of upside.

Though I wouldn't mind either of those two guys either, but they carry some extra risk.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I liked Stauffer's comments about speed and skill. He's usually pretty careful to make sure his opinions are in line with the current management group.

We'll have plenty of options at 22, that's for sure.

I like the idea of trading down with, say, Dallas. They have the Ducks first and their own 2nd.

22 + 82 for Ana 1st and Dal 2nd?

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Might be able to pick up a second by trading down in the first and up with one of our 3rd rounders. Have to look at the values involved.

Edit...yeah it's probably do able if we accept a pick around 28-30 and get a later second rounder for our 3rd. Going to depend on whether DAL or STL (two options) have someone they really want at 22.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Bold claim. Anything in particular you like about him?

He's just such a beast in the offensive end.

If he's got the puck, you aren't getting it off him and, if he doesn't have the puck, there's a good chance he'll be stealing it from you before you get it out of the zone.

I think he has a good chance to be a step above what we hope Drai ends up like.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I liked Stauffer's comments about speed and skill. He's usually pretty careful to make sure his opinions are in line with the current management group.

We'll have plenty of options at 22, that's for sure.

I like the idea of trading down with, say, Dallas. They have the Ducks first and their own 2nd.

22 + 82 for Ana 1st and Dal 2nd?

Carolina has a mitt full of picks as well. Plus one 2nd conveniently preceding the Chiarelli compensation 2nd sent to Boston.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think it's absolutely criminal that Vilardi isn't getting more talk.

Best player in the draft, IMO.

Yeah I don't get why he isn't being in the discussion for 1st overall. He's the complete package. I've had him in my top2 since december (when I ranked him 1st). It's him or Hischier for me. Vilardi has the physical advantage, but Hischier is the better skater. Both guys could be elite, but in very different ways. I think Hischier would be great in the East whereas Vilardi is more the prototypical big, puck-possession center of the West. Seems pretty darn likely he ends up in the WC too with picks 3-7 belonging to teams in the West.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
How does a 200lbs guy cant bench press 150lbs more than once lol
Would be great if this has him drop down to Us is the most talented offensive player in the draft and will be the best producer from it.

Sup

Oct 13, 2016
I think it's absolutely criminal that Vilardi isn't getting more talk.

Best player in the draft, IMO.

Agreed. Definitely shocking he isn't in the discussion for top 2. He easily has the best offensive toolbox in the draft, it's a matter of if his style of play will translate.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id have him in convo for #1. Him or Hischier seem to have the highest upside. Patrick is solid but I am not sold on his upside whatsoever, seems like another Landeskog. Vilardi is like Draisaitl with less concerns about skating and a bit more dynamic ability.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I think I like Vilardi the most as well... he'd fit right in with the Western Conference.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm hoping Boqvist, but definitely sounds like they're looking at Yamamoto.

Trading down and getting two of Boqvist/JAD/Mattheos would be pretty cool.

Ivan Lodnia and Joni Ikonen could be targets too, both very skilled, smallish right-handed shots.

Actually Thomas fits that description pretty well too and he's obviously my favorite (along with Suzuki if he's there).

Draft day is going to be interesting.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I haven't seen much beyond a few highlights of Lind but does he remind anyone else of a poor man's Corey Perry?

I've seen him compared to lots of players (I've read Coyle), but to me he reminds me most of Justin Williams.

He gets into dirty areas, but he doesn't agitate opponents like Perry, and I think he's a better skater.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Does the "late birthday" thing factor in with Yamamoto? Imo it doesn't because he put up 1.25 ppg last year as well, and improved on that putting up 1.5 this year on one of the overall poorer teams in the WHL. Also like how he scored 42 goals this year. If he had actually stagnated in production or had not put up really good numbers in his "actual" 17 year old season I think there could be more concern. Purely talking from a stats perspective obviously.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Does the "late birthday" thing factor in with Yamamoto? Imo it doesn't because he put up 1.25 ppg last year as well, and improved on that putting up 1.5 this year on one of the overall poorer teams in the WHL. Also like how he scored 42 goals this year. If he had actually stagnated in production or had not put up really good numbers in his "actual" 17 year old season I think there could be more concern. Purely talking from a stats perspective obviously.

Yamamoto was touted to be top 15 but I honestly think people are looking at 'outside' things and that's why he'll get overlooked. Likewise Suzuki, who IMO, should be top 10, maybe even top 5

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've seen him compared to lots of players (I've read Coyle), but to me he reminds me most of Justin Williams.

He gets into dirty areas, but he doesn't agitate opponents like Perry, and I think he's a better skater.

Thanks. I watched some of his fights as well and he doesn't look like anything special as a fighter but in one instance he took a run at Yamamoto and answered for it so that's why I thought of Perry (skill and a bit of a disturber).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yamamoto was touted to be top 15 but I honestly think people are looking at 'outside' things and that's why he'll get overlooked. Likewise Suzuki, who IMO, should be top 10, maybe even top 5

Dude is straight up small. If he was even 5'10" he'd probably be a shoe in for the top 10.

Not sure why you'd mention both guys with Japanese ethnicity but that Kariya guy turned out pretty damn well before injuries sidelined his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad