Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If we are taking Yamamoto, it better be us trading down and in the 2nd round. 22nd is too high to be drafting someone who is 5'7

There's a 0% chance Yamamoto drops out of the first round. He's small but he also crushed every combine test thrown at him. I doubt he drops out of the top 25 and you could see him go a lot earlier than that. He's a game breaker.

He had 57 points in the WHL as a 16/17 year old. That's insane.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Vilardi, to me, is just like Draisaitl, but with more of a goalscorer's mentality and release.

I think he's criminally underrated just because his skating is only average.

I haven't seen a ton of Patrick, but I have no idea how he's ranked above Vilardi. To me, Vilardi is the better player right now, the more projectable prospect and almost a full year younger than Patrick.

I like Vilardi, I think his game is well suited for the NHL but Draisaitl has exceptional vision and is already bordering on superstardom so those are pretty lofty expectations. I was always blown away by Drai's Hockey IQ, it was just the skating and fitness that was a concern.

I think with Patrick, some of it has to do with reputation and scouts love strong 2 way games so he's more of a "safe" pick in that sense with lesser boom potential. I guess scouts see him as a Toews type and coaches love those guys. I'd personally be concerned about his true offensive upside and durability if I was drafting #1.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I gotta say I am alot more excited for this draft than I have in the past. Now I am actually interested in who well take in the 1st. In the past I knew who it was for 5/6 past drafts.

While the quality of prospect wont be as high, still be cool to see how draft unfolds

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Why would we trade our one valuable pick then? We need to pick a decent prospect at 22, because the prospect cupboard is looking pretty bare.

The likelihood of staying in the NHL drops so much with every round I'd prefer to keep the pick, and use our later picks for "home run" type picks since it's such a weak draft.

We trade it because its not really that valuable. Very real possibility that Benson is a better prospect then any pick we make this year. And Im not that high on Benson.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah. The defensemen around our pick don't really excite me. However, I think one of Thomas & Tolvanen will drop to us. Can't see Vesalainen or Suzuki dropping to us. We may even find ourselves choosing between Kostin and Suzuki.

Conor Timmins is intriguing. Might not amount to anything but could be another Kevin Shattenkirk type player.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What are the best Right shot offensive defensemen in this draft?

Makar is basically the only one available in the early rounds and he's likely to go top 10.

Jokiharju, Timmins and Liljegren are the other right-handed D that are likely to go in the 1st round, but they're more of skilled two-way guys.

I don't know if there's even another right-handed offensive defenseman that will go in the first three rounds. Really weak draft in that regard.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Makar is basically the only one available in the early rounds and he's likely to go top 10.

Jokiharju, Timmins and Liljegren are the other right-handed D that are likely to go in the 1st round, but they're more of skilled two-way guys.

I don't know if there's even another right-handed offensive defenseman that will go in the first three rounds. Really weak draft in that regard.

Foote will more likely than not be a 1st round pick. Could also see Josh Brook going in round 2. Those are just a couple more off the top of my head.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I hope we end up with a forward.. Vesalainen, Andersson, Kostin, Poehling, Yamamoto all intrigue me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad