Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Hey everyone. I couldn't find any discussion on the 2017 draft, so I figured I'd start it off.

This isn't a thread about expecting a lottery pick. The hockey nerd in me just loves discussing the draft.

So far in the 2017 draft I've really only heard talk of Nolan Patrick. I haven't taken a look at it myself. What are some other big names out there? Is it looking like a weak, average or deep draft?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's too early to really tell but doesn't look like it's a strong year in terms of top end talent, but the depth looks very good IMO.

Nolan Patrick (big two-way center) and Timothy Liljegren (skilled offensive RHD) looks to be the frontrunners for 1st overall at this point.

Some good players behind them though like Gabriel Vilardi out of Windsor, a player I like a lot and think is poised to have a big year. Owen Tippett out of Mississauga is a sniping right-handed winger. Then there's a bunch of other guys as well.

Looks like another strong year for Finland with big forward Kristian Vesalainen, small sniping winger Eeli Tolvanen, "the next great d-man" Urho Vaakanainen and another good finnish defenseman in Juuso Välimäki who plays for Tri-City in the WHL.

Probably gonna be a decent year for swedish prospects as well. Elias Pettersson (teammate of Jonathan Dahlén in Timrå) could have a big year in Allsvenskan. Then there's the undersized but skilled offensive defenseman Erik Brännström among others.

Another to keep an eye on is swiss forward Nico Hischier. Played the U18's as a double underager in 14/15 and played the WJC for Switzerland last season. Was grabbed by Halifax Mooseheads in the CHL import draft, could have a Nikolaj Ehlers / Timo Meier kind of impact if he comes over. Potential top10 pick, but again, it's early.

Best goalie available is probably Michael DiPietro who took over the starting job in Windsor as a rookie. Had a terrific World Under 17 Challenge and is a solid goalie. He's only listed at 6'0 though so size might be a concern going forward.

Callan Foote is another guy to keep an eye on. Big RHD playing for the D-factory Kelowna in the WHL. Could perhaps be someone the Oilers target with a mid 1st round pick, who knows.

I guess I forgot to mention Maxime Comtois who's a decently sized forward playing in the QMJHL. Probably a consensus top5 pick at this point.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
It's too early to really tell but doesn't look like it's a strong year in terms of top end talent, but the depth looks very good IMO.

Nolan Patrick (big two-way center) and Timothy Liljegren (skilled offensive RHD) looks to be the frontrunners for 1st overall at this point.

Some good players behind them though like Gabriel Vilardi out of Windsor, a player I like a lot and think is poised to have a big year. Owen Tippett out of Mississauga is a sniping right-handed winger. Then there's a bunch of other guys as well.

Looks like another strong year for Finland with big forward Kristian Vesalainen, small sniping winger Eeli Tolvanen, "the next great d-man" Urho Vaakanainen and another good finnish defenseman in Juuso Välimäki who plays for Tri-City in the WHL.

Probably gonna be a decent year for swedish prospects as well. Elias Pettersson (teammate of Jonathan Dahlén in Timrå) could have a big year in Allsvenskan. Then there's the undersized but skilled offensive defenseman Erik Brännström among others.

Another to keep an eye on is swiss forward Nico Hischier. Played the U18's as a double underager in 14/15 and played the WJC for Switzerland last season. Was grabbed by Halifax Mooseheads in the CHL import draft, could have a Nikolaj Ehlers / Timo Meier kind of impact if he comes over. Potential top10 pick, but again, it's early.

Best goalie available is probably Michael DiPietro who took over the starting job in Windsor as a rookie. Had a terrific World Under 17 Challenge and is a solid goalie. He's only listed at 6'0 though so size might be a concern going forward.

Callan Foote is another guy to keep an eye on. Big RHD playing for the D-factory Kelowna in the WHL. Could perhaps be someone the Oilers target with a mid 1st round pick, who knows.

I guess I forgot to mention Maxime Comtois who's a decently sized forward playing in the QMJHL. Probably a consensus top5 pick at this point.

Awesome info! Thanks so much for this

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I can feel it, this is the year we take a RHD with our top pick. Probably. Maybe.

Tim Liljegren (Super Elit J20) - 6’0 RHD. Below-average height, extraordinary talent. Projected Top-3 OV prospect, but we're about due to win a lottery.

Callan Foote (WHL) - The next defenseman from the Kelowna Rocket factory. 6’3 RHD. Adam Foote’s son, dual citizenship. Big riser. Was invited to Team Canada's WJC summer camp, but he's in a Jake Walman situation (probably will be ruled American for IIHF purposes).

Artyom Minulin (WHL) - 6'2 Russian RHD. Swift Current Bronco. Rookie season 5-28-33 in 72 GP. Doesn't seem to be getting much early press. I liked his teammate Lajoie this draft and he was taken late. Am I missing something?

There are plenty of right handed defenders in this draft class and we're 11 months from the draft. Liljegren and Foote are definitely 1st rounders (Top-3, Top-20) IMO. Minulin's flying under the radar from what I've read. Other RHD that have potential to rise: Luke Martin, Phil Kemp, Joshua Maniscalco, Henri Jokiharju, Cale Makar, Cale Fleury.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
With his size, skill and pedigree, I think Foote goes top 5 on draft day, maybe even top 3 behind Liljegren.

I think right now for me it's Patrick, Liljegren, Vilardi, Foote, Hischier, Comtois, Reedy, Andersson, Tolvanen and Valimaki in roughly that order. Valimaki could be 2017's Juolevi.

Key for us is that's a strong year for D. There are 4 or 5 kids from every league who could grow into first rounders, including three from the NTDP alone. Zaddy Zads mentioned a couple of the Euros but Nicolas Hague (6'6, 207 lbs) from the OHL is intriguing- big boy who had 24 points, 14 of which were goals.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I can feel it, this is the year we take a RHD with our top pick. Probably. Maybe.

Tim Liljegren (Super Elit J20) - 6’0 RHD. Below-average height, extraordinary talent. Projected Top-3 OV prospect, but we're about due to win a lottery.

Callan Foote (WHL) - The next defenseman from the Kelowna Rocket factory. 6’3 RHD. Adam Foote’s son, dual citizenship. Big riser. Was invited to Team Canada's WJC summer camp, but he's in a Jake Walman situation (probably will be ruled American for IIHF purposes).

Artyom Minulin (WHL) - 6'2 Russian RHD. Swift Current Bronco. Rookie season 5-28-33 in 72 GP. Doesn't seem to be getting much early press. I liked his teammate Lajoie this draft and he was taken late. Am I missing something?

There are plenty of right handed defenders in this draft class and we're 11 months from the draft. Liljegren and Foote are definitely 1st rounders (Top-3, Top-20) IMO. Minulin's flying under the radar from what I've read. Other RHD that have potential to rise: Luke Martin, Phil Kemp, Joshua Maniscalco, Henri Jokiharju, Cale Makar, Cale Fleury.

yeah i think Chia's plan is to draft lots of defensemen and some high iq forwards. Given the price of good dmen this is a great plan, hope we can turn into a D factory like Anaheim

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
yeah i think Chia's plan is to draft lots of defensemen and some high iq forwards. Given the price of good dmen this is a great plan, hope we can turn into a D factory like Anaheim

Given what we've just witnessed, drafting a dman is the way to go next year as long as it isn't a stretch for BPA.

Only way I want Nolan Patrick is we just missed the playoffs, and the hockey gods are adamant after our Taylor Hall trade that we are meant to have a certain number of first overall players.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I was hoping Hischier would go to Guelph somehow.

They ended up grabbing Dmitri Samorukov.....a 2017 eligible LD.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Callan Foote looks like a monster of a prospect and the Oilers seem like a good fit.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Add Swedish prospect Adam Tilander to that list.

Selected by the Battalion in the Import Draft but may be a tough task to pull away from Skelleftea.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Urho Vaakanainen(D-prospect) and Kristian Vesalainen(6'3 Lw/Rw) are players to look at from Finland to Oilers.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Given what we've just witnessed, drafting a dman is the way to go next year as long as it isn't a stretch for BPA.

Only way I want Nolan Patrick is we just missed the playoffs, and the hockey gods are adamant after our Taylor Hall trade that we are meant to have a certain number of first overall players.

Given what we've just seen there better not be anybody questioning drafting a d-man if he's ranked within 10 spots of where we take him.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Urho Vaakanainen(D-prospect) and Kristian Vesalainen(6'3 Lw/Rw) are players to look at from Finland to Oilers.

Looks like Eeli Tolvanen will be playing with Aapeli Rasanen in Sioux City this year so I imagine the Oilers will be watching him quite a bit too.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2015

I'm looking forward to seeing where Cale Fleury is drafted. I've watched him for a couple of years and expect his draft stock to improve with this being his draft year (he is the younger brother of Haydn Fleury who was drafted by the Hurricanes, and plays RD...and plays it well at the junior level at least).

Right now I think he is expected to be a second rounder, so if thats where he remains I hope that he is someone the Oilers consider (though we currently don't have a second round pick).

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Callan Foote would be a nice add to this team but I see him rising into the top 5. And the optimist in me says the Oilers are done that that **** lol.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Callan Foote would be a nice add to this team but I see him rising into the top 5. And the optimist in me says the Oilers are done that that **** lol.

We can hope but all it takes is a couple injuries and who knows, and of course three spots go to lottery so even if we just miss the playoffs there is a chance we draft top 3.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Looks like Eeli Tolvanen will be playing with Aapeli Rasanen in Sioux City this year so I imagine the Oilers will be watching him quite a bit too.

Well then I guess they will see him quite often.

I was just thinking

Vesalainen 6'3 McDavid- Pulju 6'4 future line :laugh:

But Vaakanainen could be a real goal, he's in that Juolevi/Ristolainen tier and has already played against men and will play another year against the men.
He's someone that could be NHL ready quite soon with top pairing potential.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Well then I guess they will see him quite often.

I was just thinking

Vesalainen 6'3 McDavid- Pulju 6'4 future line :laugh:

But Vaakanainen could be a real goal, he's in that Juolevi/Ristolainen tier and has already played against men and will play another year against the men.
He's someone that could be NHL ready quite soon with top pairing potential.

Some säy Välimäki is the better one of the two best Finnish defenders in 2017. Wouldn't mind if the Oilers grapped either one of them (and hopefully Jets the other to keep the balance up). "The more finns - the better" as Laine said. Looks a good year for the Finns once again.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Some highlights from Timothy Liljegren. Well worth the watch. The kid is impressive.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

A real early 2017 mock. This is obviously going to be super inaccurate but it's still fun to look at. According to their mock we'd end up with another 6'6, 200lbs defenseman in Nic Hague. Him and Niemeläinen would be a pair of twin towers on the backend, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln