Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oooh i dont know, i think Yamamoto is a fantastic skater. Not incredibly fast, but smooth and quick.

Eberle is similar in that hes shifty and quick (and smooth with the puck), but not a straight ahead burner. Then again this is only from highlight watching Yamamoto

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

https://thebloggerstribune.com/2017/04/24/nhl-draft-report-kailer-yamamoto/

comapre.png

gf.png

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What are some weaknesses of Brunnstroms other than size? Watching his highlights and reading all his scouting reports, hes got it all. Hes a great skater, he is incredibly good with the puck all over the ice, top notch offensive point producer and hes good/reliable defensively

Must be something else I am missing, looks like a top 5 talent, top 10 at least

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Eberle is similar in that hes shifty and quick (and smooth with the puck), but not a straight ahead burner. Then again this is only from highlight watching Yamamoto

Probably. To be honest I feel like I'm a terrible judge of skating at the best of times, and practically useless when it comes to junior players unless it's painfully obvious.
I think i've only seen Yamamoto play twice (once at the u18's where he dominated and one Spokane game) and I just remember him getting on lots of odd man rushes. That doesnt really mean he's a great skater though.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Just read that article, now I am really digging Yams. I love great 5x5 producers. Also great he scored 20 more points than second place on his own team. Suzuki I really like as well, but even he got outscored this year on his own team and 3rd had only 10 points less

How cool would it be to walk away with Yamamoto AND JDD. Wont happen but thatd be great to nab to linemates

Maybe it's just me, but the 2nd round looks good this year. Not a lot differentiating guys from 20-50. In a perfect world the Oilers could trade down a few spots and potentially get both guys.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Maybe it's just me, but the 2nd round looks good this year. Not a lot differentiating guys from 20-50. In a perfect world the Oilers could trade down a few spots and potentially get both guys.

I agree. While I am not that knowledgeable on the more unknown 2nd round picks, there does seem to be potentially good picks 20-40. I dunno, maybe its just me overrating the guys in our spot because you tend to overrate those players available in your range. But guys like Yamamoto, Brunnstrom, Suzuki scream high upside and top 10 picks if they were taller. Then there is a collection of others that seem good

Itd be cool if we could drop down and pick up an extra 2nd and take Yamamoto if he fell and another

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
What are some weaknesses of Brunnstroms other than size? Watching his highlights and reading all his scouting reports, hes got it all. Hes a great skater, he is incredibly good with the puck all over the ice, top notch offensive point producer and hes good/reliable defensively

Must be something else I am missing, looks like a top 5 talent, top 10 at least

bad at defense i guess.

he seems like a home run pick though if a team can get him up to speed.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
bad at defense i guess.

he seems like a home run pick though if a team can get him up to speed.

Is that just perception because hes smaller? Ive read Liljgren is pretty poor at D but ive seen from people that Brunnstrom is reliable. I guess that call comes from watching a guy a ton, hard to get it from a few international tournaments

Even if D game was weak, still could coach it in to him, ala Ryan Ellis

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I agree. While I am not that knowledgeable on the more unknown 2nd round picks, there does seem to be potentially good picks 20-40. I dunno, maybe its just me overrating the guys in our spot because you tend to overrate those players available in your range. But guys like Yamamoto, Brunnstrom, Suzuki scream high upside and top 10 picks if they were taller. Then there is a collection of others that seem good

Itd be cool if we could drop down and pick up an extra 2nd and take Yamamoto if he fell and another

There's a lot I'd be happy with but no one I know too well. Sasha Chmelevski, Jesper Boqvist, Mackenzie Entwhistle, Mason Shaw, [insert goalie], Stelio Mattheos, Aleksi Heponiemi are all really interesting prospects I'd like to see the Oilers take a chance on. Plus with a draft like this you never know who'll fall.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Don't think Brännström is bad at defense. I mean, he's never gonna be your 6'3 200lbs guy boxing guys out in front of the net, but he does a good job with the tools that he has available to him. Uses his mobility and smarts to evade high-pressure situations and transitions quickly out of the zone. He actually makes very few mistakes for a guy with his playstyle. Good gap control, active stick and he even throws his body around every now and then.

Either way, you're not drafting Brännström because you want him to be a shutdown defenseman, you draft him for his offensive capabilities. At worst you give him sheltered minutes with an offensive zone push and plenty of PP time, and he'll be your Shattenkirk/Krug type player. That's about as good as you can hope for with any player in this draft really. Even more so if you're drafting in the 20's.

Still, he is really tiny. I don't really trust the 5'10 listing. He's probably around 5'9, maybe even a hair shorter. Tough to say, but he looks small compared to his peers, so imagine how he'll look against full-grown men in the NHL. Both his father and brother are small too so no reason to expect any growth. But at least if he reaches his dad's size at 5'10 and 185lbs, that'll work.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Don't think Brännström is bad at defense. I mean, he's never gonna be your 6'3 200lbs guy boxing guys out in front of the net, but he does a good job with the tools that he has available to him. Uses his mobility and smarts to evade high-pressure situations and transitions quickly out of the zone. He actually makes very few mistakes for a guy with his playstyle. Good gap control, active stick and he even throws his body around every now and then.

Either way, you're not drafting Brännström because you want him to be a shutdown defenseman, you draft him for his offensive capabilities. At worst you give him sheltered minutes with an offensive zone push and plenty of PP time, and he'll be your Shattenkirk/Krug type player. That's about as good as you can hope for with any player in this draft really. Even more so if you're drafting in the 20's.

Still, he is really tiny. I don't really trust the 5'10 listing. He's probably around 5'9, maybe even a hair shorter. Tough to say, but he looks small compared to his peers, so imagine how he'll look against full-grown men in the NHL. Both his father and brother are small too so no reason to expect any growth. But at least if he reaches his dad's size at 5'10 and 185lbs, that'll work.

There is limitations to small D and size is a concern forsure. Just being smaller its incredibly hard to get good positioning no matter how smart you are. But I think with the way our D core is shaping up, we can handle a small D

To bad hes a leftie, although I still got time for him

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This draft is so hard to pin down. Guys ranked all over the place, who knows how teams see them all.

Realistically if we keep the pick I'd be happy with any of:

Kostin
Yamamoto
Suzuki
Thomas
Brannstrom

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Kostin would be a great pick. One of the few guys in this draft that has the complete package of size, skating, smarts and skill.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Eh, not sure who to trust on these measurements...guess we'll find out at the end of the day.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

That is...small. Very small.

His size was really the only thing I was worried about.

I think he's my clear-cut choice for a defenseman in the 1st, though I'm hoping they go for a high skill forward instead.

Well, looks like the 6'1 measurement was off. He's just below 6'0 it seems. But him having added weight is of course very encouraging.

More measurements here: http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

Honestly not sure who to believe. Everyone has different measurements out there...

EDIT: Seems like everything in THW is correct except 1st group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad