Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Fitness results for several CHL players at the combine. They were measured in areas of: Grip Strength (pounds, for each hand), Bench Press (reps), Standing Long Jump (inches), Vertical Jump (inches), Pull Ups (max #), Pro Agility Tests (seconds, for each side), Wingate Test - Mean Power Output (watts/kg), Wingate Test - Peak Power Output (watts/kg), Wingate Test - Fatigue Index, Aerobic Fitness - VO2 Test Max and Aerobic Fitness - VO2 Test Duration.

http://whl.ca/article/chl-prospects-shine-at-nhl-scouting-combine

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
If we do draft Kostin, I think it helps that we have two other prospects from Penza in the system (Sleypshev & Paigin). As in, maybe due to that he would be less likely to pull a Yakimov and jump back to Russia.

He seems to have high offensive potential... has elite skill to go with his size & skating. The knock seems to be his play away from the puck & compete level.

Have to imagine one of Vesalainen, Thomas, Tolvanen and Kostin will be available. A great prospect is bound to fall into our lap. I have faith lol

Little aside on Tolvanen... him and Rasanen have been teammates this past year, and will continue to be teammates next season when they make the jump to Boston College. They have a great development system and will round out Tolvanen's game imo. Rasanen has familiarity with JP due to WJC... the Finnish trifecta would be complete.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
If Josh Ho-Sang's draft meant anything, I could see Suzuki and/or Yamamoto dropping.

Not trying to be racist but Ho-Sang has a point as to why he thinks he dropped as far as he did.

I'm hoping we manage to scoop either at 31st overall :sarcasm:

Yamamoto was touted to be top 15 but I honestly think people are looking at 'outside' things and that's why he'll get overlooked. Likewise Suzuki, who IMO, should be top 10, maybe even top 5

Dude is straight up small. If he was even 5'10" he'd probably be a shoe in for the top 10.

Not sure why you'd mention both guys with Japanese ethnicity but that Kariya guy turned out pretty damn well before injuries sidelined his career.

frag2, you have two posts total in this thread and those are they. Why do you so strongly believe the league has a prejudice towards people of asian descent?

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
frag2, you have two posts total in this thread and those are they. Why do you so strongly believe the league has a prejudice towards people of asian descent?

Didn't Ho-Sang drop due to questions about his character? I just don't see the prejudice. Yamamoto is a late-birthday and small as ****, he will probably drop. If Suzuki dropped to the 2nd round we can maybe talk about racism... but he's projected to go somewhere around #15.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
On that note, why do I keep seeing Robertson listed outside the first round in mocks? He has size and put up 40 goals last year - looks like a solid prospect to me. Does he have skating issues?

His skating is rough(both speed and first step), he doesn't really use his size without the puck and he's had a fairly inconsistent effort level.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Ho-Sang didn't play a minute of pre-season hockey one year, I doubt that it was due to his ethnicity. That is not to say that there isn't prejudice in the hockey world or the world outside of hockey because clearly there is. I won't pretend to know anything about Yamamoto or Suzuki because I don't beyond youtube and Oilers.com. That said Kailer seems like a very grounded young man and he is clearly very skilled. If our scouts think that he can play at this size or a little bigger in the NHL then I hope that we pick him.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Ho-Sang didn't play a minute of pre-season hockey one year, I doubt that it was due to his ethnicity. That is not to say that there isn't prejudice in the hockey world or the world outside of hockey because clearly there is. I won't pretend to know anything about Yamamoto or Suzuki because I don't beyond youtube and Oilers.com. That said Kailer seems like a very grounded young man and he is clearly very skilled. If our scouts think that he can play at this size or a little bigger in the NHL then I hope that we pick him.

After interviewing several of the players after their combines, Stauffer did say he was particularly impressed from talking with Yamamoto and Vesalainen.

I personally have the feeling Yamamoto could be the main target with the way Stauffer hinted about him from the combine interview and the speed and skill type of player, since the oilers have sizable players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
After interviewing several of the players after their combines, Stauffer did say he was particularly impressed from talking with Yamamoto and Vesalainen.

I personally have the feeling Yamamoto could be the main target with the way Stauffer hinted about him from the combine interview and the speed and skill type of player, since the oilers have sizable players.

I like it. Take the best talent available, do not worry about size/position/etc.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Looking at the combined/consensus lists it seems to me like our pick is right on the very precipice of a drop off in talent, or maybe rather a point after which the rankings are all over the place.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If we are taking Yamamoto, it better be us trading down and in the 2nd round. 22nd is too high to be drafting someone who is 5'7

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Ho-Sang dropping had a lot more to do with the rumored character issues and some apparently off-putting draft combine interviews with prospective teams than any supposed racism.

A talented kid for sure and it sounds like he's dedicated himself enough to at least get in 20 NHL games last year so that's a credit to him, but he's always struck me as a bit of a space cadet.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Looking at the combined/consensus lists it seems to me like our pick is right on the very precipice of a drop off in talent, or maybe rather a point after which the rankings are all over the place.

Which is why IMO it'll be traded. A 2nd rounder in this years draft is like a late 3rd early 4th in most drafts. Just not a great year. Guys like Ryan Poehling would usually go in the second round. This year he's slated between 15 and 20.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Which is why IMO it'll be traded. A 2nd rounder in this years draft is like a late 3rd early 4th in most drafts. Just not a great year. Guys like Ryan Poehling would usually go in the second round. This year he's slated between 15 and 20.

Yeah, it's definitely that type of year.

Unless someone like Suzuki falls on your lap, it seems wise to trade down a few spots.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Why would we trade our one valuable pick then? We need to pick a decent prospect at 22, because the prospect cupboard is looking pretty bare.

The likelihood of staying in the NHL drops so much with every round I'd prefer to keep the pick, and use our later picks for "home run" type picks since it's such a weak draft.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Ho-Sang dropping had a lot more to do with the rumored character issues and some apparently off-putting draft combine interviews with prospective teams than any supposed racism.

A talented kid for sure and it sounds like he's dedicated himself enough to at least get in 20 NHL games last year so that's a credit to him, but he's always struck me as a bit of a space cadet.

I mean... this was a kid who couldn't be bothered to come to his first pro training camp on time. Lol. Tells you what you need to know. Biggest day of his life and he couldn't get out of bed.

That's the equivalent of showing up to a job interview when it's scheduled to end.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I mean... this was a kid who couldn't be bothered to come to his first pro training camp on time. Lol. Tells you what you need to know. Biggest day of his life and he couldn't get out of bed.

That's the equivalent of showing up to a job interview when it's scheduled to end.

Meh, kids make mistakes. Maybe he was extremely nervous the night before, didn't sleep until 5 am and then right through his alarm.

It happens to the best of us, I'd have a hard time holding that against someone if they seemed good otherwise.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Yeah, I've talked a bit about him before. I'm a fan. I have him in the 1st round, fairly high too (have him at #19 currently, but haven't finalized my list yet). Really underrated player. Does everything well and his skillset should translate well to the NHL. Plays that puck-possession game and he is a bit Draisaitl-esque in his ability to protect the puck along the wall just to somehow find a nifty pass to an open guy in the slot. He has good size already and his game and overall impact should keep evolving as he grows stronger. I see him as a legit 2nd line winger who puts up 50-55 points a year. Maybe a Brandon Saad type guy.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's just such a beast in the offensive end.

If he's got the puck, you aren't getting it off him and, if he doesn't have the puck, there's a good chance he'll be stealing it from you before you get it out of the zone.

I think he has a good chance to be a step above what we hope Drai ends up like.

Wait, what?

In any event, I really Stauffer is right about the Oilers targeting speed and skill. There's an alarming lack of it in the pipeline and on the main roster as well at forward and defense outside of the obvious high end talent.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

Yeah. The defensemen around our pick don't really excite me. However, I think one of Thomas & Tolvanen will drop to us. Can't see Vesalainen or Suzuki dropping to us. We may even find ourselves choosing between Kostin and Suzuki.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Wait, what?

In any event, I really Stauffer is right about the Oilers targeting speed and skill. There's an alarming lack of it in the pipeline and on the main roster as well at forward and defense outside of the obvious high end talent.

Vilardi, to me, is just like Draisaitl, but with more of a goalscorer's mentality and release.

I think he's criminally underrated just because his skating is only average.

I haven't seen a ton of Patrick, but I have no idea how he's ranked above Vilardi. To me, Vilardi is the better player right now, the more projectable prospect and almost a full year younger than Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad