Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Yes, quite impressed with Yamamoto (he thus far has the highest VO2 score, and placed top two in both agility tests). Given Stauffer's tweet re: drafting more speed and skill, he clearly fits that profile. He gets to high traffic areas and doesn't shy away, and he hasn't been injury prone in spite of his stature and willingness to engage. He's consistently produced at every level and in high profile tourneys amongst the best of his peers. I realize people are going to cringe at his size but it hasn't hindered him thus far and I am willing to bet he is pretty high on the draft board for Bob Green and co.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Yes, quite impressed with Yamamoto (he thus far has the highest VO2 score, and placed top two in both agility tests). Given Stauffer's tweet re: drafting more speed and skill, he clearly fits that profile. He gets to high traffic areas and doesn't shy away, and he hasn't been injury prone in spite of his stature and willingness to engage. He's consistently produced at every level and in high profile tourneys amongst the best of his peers. I realize people are going to cringe at his size but it hasn't hindered him thus far and I am willing to bet he is pretty high on the draft board for Bob Green and co.

Yeah I mean he measured in at just a hair under 5'9" which yeah is small but isn't THAT bad for a forward now. There are several very successful forwards in the 5'9 range. He does need to add weight though. If he can add half an inch and ~15 pounds by the time he's ready for the NHL he should be fine. It's more his weight that I'd be concerned about honestly. I like him as a pick though and have a feeling he's an Oiler if he's there at 22.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Being 5'7.5'', 145lbs and one of the oldest players in the draft scares me.

Like I look at Yamamoto's teammate, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, and he's what most would consider undersized at 5'11'' 185lbs, but that's 3.5'' and 40lbs larger than Yamamoto.

Smaller players are finding more success in the NHL, but I think there's still a point where players are too small.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
5'7 is more then a hair under 5'9.
I wouldn't pick him that's just too small.

I mean the scouts just have to decide if they think he's got it or not. Gaudreau, Marchand, Johnson were all guys picked later or not drafted who are successful players. Remember that this isn't a guy who is gonna play pro right away. 2 more years in junior and then probably 1 year AHL at least. So that's 2-3 years for him to gain weight, minimum. Forwards can be successful at that size if they have the elusiveness and skating, which imo he does.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Yep I like Yamamoto a lot and his strong combine did nothing to change that.

How about Joshua Norris though? An absolute physical specimen. Dominated the physical testing.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Like I suspected, Brännström measures in at 5'9. Kid is small. Still has some time to grow as he's one of the youngest guys in the draft, but his father and brother are small too.

Btw, here's the test results from the combine if anyone's interested: https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Honestly that's pretty bad, he was listed at 6'2 almost every where, quite the difference.

That's pretty bad lol
I'm not an elite athlete or anything but i can do around 7-8 pullups. He must have an upper body injury or something

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Interesting. Yamamoto compares himself to / mold his game after Mats Zuccarello. That's a guy he's closer to in size compared to most other guys he's been compared to.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder how big of a percentage of the total posts that I alone make up for in this thread lol. I feel like I might have around half the posts in this entire thread haha.

Come on guys, give me something to discuss, there's three long weeks of waiting ahead... :laugh:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What's the scouting report on Morgan Geekie? Could he be a target for one of our 3rds?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I haven't seen much beyond a few highlights of Lind but does he remind anyone else of a poor man's Corey Perry?

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
What's the scouting report on Morgan Geekie? Could he be a target for one of our 3rds?

Excellent size, he's quite tall (around 6'2), but he is a bit lean right now. I think he has a very broad frame and looks like he'd be able to support a lot of size. He uses that size quite well to prtect the puck, but he could stand to be more physical.

He has some really good offensive tools, including a decent pair of hands an a lethal release. He needed to compete more and muck it up in front of the net more this season and he did. I don't have stats, but by eye he is really strong on the dot.

His skating is above average to, he has a nice natural stride and to me that is a good sign because you can build on it. He is till learning the defensive side of the game but he has been putting in better efforts all around this year, and I see that being a strength of his going forward.

He was extremely raw last year, still is, but there is a potentially excellent, big, possession centre in his game. He did a good job of realizing his potential more this year. He will need a strong development team to bring out the big two way C in his game.

As for picking him in the second I'd be elated with that, but I personally see him off the board somewhere in the 2nd.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I wonder how big of a percentage of the total posts that I alone make up for in this thread lol. I feel like I might have around half the posts in this entire thread haha.

Come on guys, give me something to discuss, there's three long weeks of waiting ahead... :laugh:

I'd like for the Oilers to pick up Leon Gawanke in the late 3rd/4th round. German RHD plays for Cape Breton in the Q.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I also think Cale Fleury would be a nice pick in the early-mid 3rd round. Another RHD who played on quite arguably the worst team in the entire CHL this year but still managed 11 goals and 38 points in 70 games and is probably better than his stats suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad