2017 NFL Off-Season News Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
Nitrogen has the Giants' O/U win total at 8.5. I was tempted to take them and the Titans (also 8.5) over, but they don't do parlays for these kinda bets. Nothing on the Cowboys' win totals, but they do have the best odds to win the East.

/r/nfl was pretty down on the Panthers during a predictions thread. What are your predictions for the club.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I really haven't followed the NFC East in a while

Seems like the Giants are probably going to take a step back this year with an aging roster maybe? Are the Eagles going to be better? Or is Washington pretty much the only team that could compete with Dallas? Dallas O is good but their defense stinks. Seems like the same thing with the Redskins. If Dak has a slump in his sophomore year after some OL losses and coordinators having a full offseason to prepare for him, this division could be wide open.

Again, I haven't been following the NFC East for a while so I could be totally off.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Rhodes is definitely among the top tier of CBs, but he doesn't deserve "best player at his position" money. That's pretty much standard these days, though.

I don't know exactly where he fits in but I'd say he's top 10 for sure. Being the highest paid at a position changes all the time so it probably won't last long even if he does get that type of deal. I believe Norman set the mark last year and Rhodes is a few years younger and coming off of a better season. Then someone like Marcus Peters will probably beat it whenever the Chiefs decide to pay him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ Yup, that's how it goes, for better or worse.

/r/nfl was pretty down on the Panthers during a predictions thread. What are your predictions for the club.

Honestly, I don't know why. They lost 6 games by a field goal or less last year. As lucky as they got in 2015, they were just as unlucky in 2016. And now they've got a better team.

I know people are down on Matt Kalil, but he can't possibly be worse than Mike Remmers (sorry Vikings fans, but the dude is on his 7th team since signing as an UDFA). Moton and Williams should compete for the RT spot, allowing Turner and Norwell to be the top 10 guards they are. Ryan Kalil is healthy again. Overall, the line should improve big time.

McCaffrey gives them the burst of speed they desperately needed. Ted Ginn is outright fast, but I wouldn't say he's all that quick. He can't play in the middle of the field. Cam's accuracy issues were notable, but now he's (also) healthy and has a bit of a security blanket so he's not slinging it all over the field. I'd look for him to run less. They really need Benjamin and/or Funchess to create that big body to compliment Olsen, who's also healthy (notice a trend?).

Defensively, I'm not sold on the edge rush by committee (despite somehow leading the league in sacks last year), but Short and Star are two of the best in the business up the middle. Shaq Thompson has been great as a rookie, but they play a lot of nickel, so he hasn't had a ton of snaps per game, but he should begin to split more time with Davis. Speaking of nickel, Captain Munnerlyn might be one of the most important additions this offseason. Worley and especially Bradberry were solid as rookies, but they never found coverage between the numbers outside of Kuechly, who I think is overrated athletically in coverage (he's just damn smart). If Mike Adams can hold on until they find a safety of the future, I think they're pretty solid in the secondary.

I know I sound like a homer, but I think they could challenge for a top seed in the NFC. They need everyone to stay healthy (doesn't everyone?) since they aren't too deep, but they fixed the majority of the holes that have been plaguing them for the last few seasons. From 2013-2015 they were a top 5 team in the NFL. I don't see why they can't come close to that this year.

TL;DR somewhere in between 15-1 and 6-10.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

That means Odell is the best WR #13 in the NFC East by default, right? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, why is this even news? He's a gadget player that is a kick returner... oh yeah, it's the Cowboys.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Guess we can make this an all-purpose training camp thread?

Yikes. The dude is immensely talented but seems like he might be battling injuries to begin his career.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I know a lot of FF guys loved him as a bit of a sleeper pick. Woodhead's stock goes up.

EDIT: Just speculation, but

Why are the Niners so eager (supposedly) to get rid of him?

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Jordan Matthews to me anyways appears to be being moved from the Eagles. They draft 2 receivers and bring in 2 more from free agency. Something is up in Philly or I could be totally off base.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jordan Matthews to me anyways appears to be being moved from the Eagles. They draft 2 receivers and bring in 2 more from free agency. Something is up in Philly or I could be totally off base.

They had no receivers otherwise. Now they're up to 5 with a spot open in camp.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
How does that even happen? (Sorry not trying to go off topic) they arrested a man, booked him and gave him a court date

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
lol, oh Cowboys.

Trying to look tough by cutting him but the next day they have egg on their face.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
lol, oh Cowboys.

Trying to look tough by cutting him but the next day they have egg on their face.

He was on the bubble of the roster, but you are probably same guy who complains when we dont cut someone, but keep on doing you.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He was on the bubble of the roster, but you are probably same guy who complains when we dont cut someone, but keep on doing you.

Swing and a miss.

I knew his chances were low for making the roster after we drafted Switzer.

Just that it doesn't look good when we have players that pull out an AR-15 in a parking lot and we spend weeks investigating the incident but then cut Lucky after news breaks over him supposedly stealing stuff from a Wawa and missing a court date.
Of course this wasn't the first incident that the Cowboys didn't like with L.W., considering we kept him undressed for a game last year.

There was no need to cut him right away. Sure the offseason was a tad busy for the wrong reasons regarding players on the team but at least wait for more evidence to pop up.
I'm generally optimistic over the Cowboys and like Garrett for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad