GDT: 2017 free agent frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
How is Montreal not better? Those three listed are all upgrades.

As for Toronto, it's only money and they are unquestionably better with their additions and you figure all those young kids will be better in year two like we are expecting ours to be.

Radulov = Drouin (would rather pay Drouin, but were more or less even)

Markov > Schlemko

Emelin < Alzner

I say they are worse, but even if I am off base a little its nothing more than a marginal upgrade. They still haven't addressed their Center situation. They also lost Beaulieu by trading him in a strange move.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Regarding TOR, I have no idea how anyone can think Hainsey and Marleau can be worth a combined 9+ mil per at this stage of their careers. And at multiple years too. Was there really that much interest in those two that the prices got pushed up that far? In my opinion easily the two worst FA contracts so far this summer.

that looks more like the deals that i was expecting from lamoriello - the guy lost his fastball years ago, and it was just a matter of time before he handed out some terrible contracts. hainsey was close to being a healthy scratch in the finals, and marleau's best years are wayyyyyyy behind him.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal still has not addressed their biggest need. I'm not worried about them at all

exactly. who's playing center for the scabs? galchenyuk? :laugh: not with clode in charge. some people said drouin. that's even more unlikely. i thought hanzal would be their top target in free agency. that's a pretty big mess down the middle, including a $6M plekanec who is basically a third liner at this point.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Long term Drouin is absolutely an upgrade on Radulov, but in the short term it's debatable however much Radulov is vilified he's a heck of a talent. And at the cost of Sergachev? Lateral move at best.

Alzner is not an upgrade on Markov, no way. Younger, yes, but we're talking about a guy who was WSHs 4/5 D-man here. All he's got on Markov is age. And is Shlemko better than Emelin? Not a fan of the latter, but I'd beg to differ anyway.

Based on roles, I'd put Alzner down as a slight upgrade on Emelin as a defensive D, and Schemko as a major downgrade on Markov as a puck mover/2-way D.

These moves by Bergevin smell of desperation and an urge to "do something". I don't think they got better at all. Younger (discounting the loss of Sergachev) and closer to the cap, but not better. What they still badly need is proper C depth, especially with Claude behind the bench, but they still have the turtleneck as arguably their best centerman. I guess Drouin might line up at C to start the season, but he doesn't exactly fit the Julien mold, does he? Bergevin will have to do something creative around Galchenyuk if they don't trust him, but I don't think he'll be able to with the cap as is.

Regarding TOR, I have no idea how anyone can think Hainsey and Marleau can be worth a combined 9+ mil per at this stage of their careers. And at multiple years too. Was there really that much interest in those two that the prices got pushed up that far? In my opinion easily the two worst FA contracts so far this summer.

I don't care about the money that's the leafs issue. Marleau easily makes them a better team period.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Wow. That's a good move by the Leafs. Adding some veteran scoring. Plus the DoMo and Hainsey signings to augment their youth core.

Marleau turns 38 before the start of the season. Granted he can still play, but he's pretty much settled into a 25 goal/40-50 point winger over the last two years. There isn't much room for decline. At that age, it usually happens pretty rapidly, which is why you should never exceed 1 year IMO. They gave Hainsey a 2nd year too, which I'm not sure is wise.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Leafs have no cap room space. Let's offer sheet Connor Brown, he would look great on the B's,can skate plays hard every game, can kill penalties. 2 million a year? Thoughts?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Leafs have no cap room space. Let's offer sheet Connor Brown, he would look great on the B's,can skate plays hard every game, can kill penalties. 2 million a year? Thoughts?

They'll be paying him more than that. 2 million doesn't get him to sign the offer sheet

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Wow! Thornton's new contract is actually 1 yr $6.75M salary + $1.25M signing bonus for an AAV of $8.0M.

Sounds like the price to keep it to 1 year. They still have over 10 million in cap space though and only need to fill 5 spots. Doesn't hurt the sharks at all.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Yeah I'm not sure I like any of the deals our competitors have made in terms of value, but there's no denying both Montreal and Toronto have gotten better, as have other conference teams.

How has Mtl gotten better? Better than what?

One of the worst C group in the league.
No offense from D.
Price 10.5M from 18-19 till he's in a wheel chair in 25-26.

Habs are irrelevant. They are either a bubble playoffs team or DNQ next year.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
One of the worst C group in the league.
No offense from D.
Price 10.5M from 18-19 till he's in a wheel chair in 25-26.

Habs are irrelevant. They are either a bubble playoffs team or DNQ next year.

I don't know about all that. Drouin, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Danault, Weber, Alzner, Shaw, Price... There's some talent there. And it's July 2nd, lots of time to add depth. Especially with $15m in cap space.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'm not saying I would have wanted the Bs to do that deal with Marleau.... or Alzner.

But Toronto and Montreal have both arguably gotten better heading into this season.

Boston obtained Postma

A couple years ago the Bruins started stockpiling picks so they wouldn't have to 'get better' on July 1. The better strategy is to get better 2-3 years earlier. Look at the Habs and Leafs prospects, they have nothing. Barring so incredible trades, they're doomed to the middle of the road. The Bruins aren't guaranteed anything but I'd rather take my chances with 18 years olds rather than 38 year old free agents.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
A couple years ago the Bruins started stockpiling picks so they wouldn't have to 'get better' on July 1. The better strategy is to get better 2-3 years earlier. Look at the Habs and Leafs prospects, they have nothing. Barring so incredible trades, they're doomed to the middle of the road. The Bruins aren't guaranteed anything but I'd rather take my chances with 18 years olds rather than 38 year old free agents.

Uhhh they seem pretty stacked with young talent 18-23 IMO.

Current management has also made the questionable July 1st free agent signings of Beleskey and Backes in that time span. Two contracts that are already making things difficult when it comes to retaining young talent and improving the team. And to be completely realistic, they are playing roles that young players should/could be able to fill. Beleskey is barely a regular and Backes is a 40 point winger. For $10M. I have similar issue with McQuaid/Miller counting as $5.25M against the cap for essentially same 3rd pairing RH D. Some will claim one of the righties will seamlessly move to the left side, but I bet we're here at Christmas with a dilemma on our hands. Likely with significant money sitting in the pressbox or even worse a young player like Carlo/McAvoy getting dicked around to keep a veteran like McQuaid/Miller feeling happy and useful.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I don't care about the money that's the leafs issue. Marleau easily makes them a better team period.

Exactly. Sure, maybe they'll have cap issues down the road. What will that matter to the B's when they beat us in the playoffs or beat us out of a playoff ranking?

Not saying Marleau's the answer for the B's, but we could use an experienced 25-30 goal LW.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Exactly. Sure, maybe they'll have cap issues down the road. What will that matter to the B's when they beat us in the playoffs or beat us out of a playoff ranking?

Not saying Marleau's the answer for the B's, but we could use an experienced 25-30 goal LW.

Exactly. I wouldn't have signed him, but because his contract is stupid doesn't mean he's not a great addition to that team.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Toronto is definitely a better team today than they were last season. They had money to play with so signing Marleau to a well-structured contract was something they had the luxury of doing. Marleau has not missed a game in 8 seasons and has put up 52 goals over the past two seasons combined. The term the Leafs are giving him is not so crazy when you factor in the fact that Marleau has not shown any signs of wearing down or losing much skill. The Leafs have a pretty darned impressive lineup of centers now. They may well end up being a tough team to match up with this coming season.

Montreal on the other hand...Bergevin has some more work to do. Hoping things end up being crap for them, and they very well could be.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I think Montreal has had an absolutely awful offseason. Sure they finished in first this past season, but how can you like what they've done? They lost Emelin and watched Nashville grab him for basically nothing. They signed Alzner to as long of a deal as they did. They paid Price over 10m AAV(!). That doesn't scream success to me and I don't see where they've gotten better.

Watch, they'll probably sweep the B's next season still

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think Montreal has had an absolutely awful offseason. Sure they finished in first this past season, but how can you like what they've done? They lost Emelin and watched Nashville grab him for basically nothing. They signed Alzner to as long of a deal as they did. They paid Price over 10m AAV(!). That doesn't scream success to me and I don't see where they've gotten better.

Price money years from now makes no difference this season or next season or next.

Schlemko is far better than Emelin and I think Drouin is better then Radulov and has a far higher ceiling.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

They can't get away with standing pat in the off-season. Only show in town. The Bruins can hide behind the dominant teams in Boston such as the pats and sox

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Price money years from now makes no difference this season or next season or next.

Schlemko is far better than Emelin and I think Drouin is better then Radulov and has a far higher ceiling.

Ya, I'm just thinking about the offseason as a whole. Price does more negatively effect this down the line, but I was just judging the moves as a collective.

I think a lot of that hinges on Radulov. Drouin is much younger, but Radulov seemed to mean a lot to the Habs this year, and it's pretty much all I've been seeing their fans talk about on the main board. I think they're probably a wash next season. but if they get both guys then obviously that's moot. Just wondering why the deal for Radulov wouldn't be done yet if it's gonna happen.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
They can't get away with standing pat in the off-season. Only show in town. The Bruins can hide behind the dominant teams in Boston such as the pats and sox

I don't take it as hiding. They have a plan to build from the inside, squeak into the playoffs for a couple years, hopefully do some damage then go for broke. They are pretty vocal about the plan. You may not like it or buy into it, but they think the core guys will still be good 2 years from now and the kids will be the difference.

To me, the only wtf moment you could get on Sweeney about is today's Johansson trade. Would have fit in fantastically here, at good money at a cheap price. I would have offered a 2nd in 18 and 2nd in 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad