GDT: 2017 free agent frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
How are they going to screw it up?

uh, I dunno. Giving 38-year-old free agents $6.25m for 3 years. Next they'll start trading picks and prospects. They already gave up a 2nd for Brian Boyle.

I mean, they don't have a Cup contender now, they have weak prospects and they don't have any cap space so they're going to have to make some pretty slick moves to improve on what they've got.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Yeah I don't get it either. They make deals for overpriced older FA and it's a mistake. We do it and it's a great move that will pay off. They have a bunch of young guys that will hit sophomore slumps, our guys will build upon their rookie seasons and do better.

This team will be around for a long time.

"I wish the Bruins signed a 38-year-old Patrick Marleau to a 3-year, $6.25m contract"... said no poster here, ever.

I mean, Pasta DID have a sophomore slump and Carlo is the only sophmore on the team next year. No one would be surprised if he had some struggles.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Great news with the Radulov signing in Dallas.

Habs just lost their best player. :handclap:

No C.
No puck moving D.
No prospect.

It's a very good time to not be a Habs fan!

Meanwhile, Julien is thinking of ways to kidnap Bergeron while he is in Quebec this summer... :laugh:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
uh, I dunno. Giving 38-year-old free agents $6.25m for 3 years. Next they'll start trading picks and prospects. They already gave up a 2nd for Brian Boyle.

I mean, they don't have a Cup contender now, they have weak prospects and they don't have any cap space so they're going to have to make some pretty slick moves to improve on what they've got.

They play in the worst division in hockey. They have just as much a chance to get to the cup as any team in the conference not named Pittsburgh IMO. Conference is mediocre to say the least.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Love seeing Radulov move to Dallas. I cannot believe Montreal did not keep him. Thank you Bergevin. Would love to know what is going through Claude's mind at this point. If Radulov stays in the NHL and keeps playing with the grit he did last season then Dallas is going to have some filthy line possibilities and Radulov could very easily put up much bigger point totals.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Love seeing Radulov move to Dallas. I cannot believe Montreal did not keep him. Thank you Bergevin. Would love to know what is going through Claude's mind at this point. If Radulov stays in the NHL and keeps playing with the grit he did last season then Dallas is going to have some filthy line possibilities and Radulov could very easily put up much bigger point totals.

We all know that's asking a lot from Radulov...IMO he's all about money...hell be a different player next year and regress.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I think Bergevin played it right. He got him for one-year in a contract year and negotiated hard but he was willing to let him go. I would never trust him to play hard and be a good teammate for 5 years. Letting him go was the right move.

It doesn't change that the Habs are in purgatory but it was the right move on its own.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Any word on Iginla? Am I the only one that thinks he can be had for short money on a 1 year deal, now that he has a house here?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Any word on Iginla? Am I the only one that thinks he can be had for short money on a 1 year deal, now that he has a house here?

PTO. Find out if he can skate. $1m max if he cuts it. He's cooked. It's Simon Gagne all over again.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
We all know that's asking a lot from Radulov...IMO he's all about money...hell be a different player next year and regress.

Only being in Montreal one season he has no reason to be anything but about the money Three full NHL seasons to go on is not a huge body of work, with his most recent season showing him playing hard and extremely well. I'm not so certain he will regress at all. If Montreal had plenty of forward talent I agree it's perhaps a chance not worth risking at the term Radulov wanted, but looking at their current situation they just lost a pretty big chunk of talent by not signing him. It'll be interesting to see what additional moves they make.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's not even the 4th and the Habs look like a single digit lottery team

At least Claude can go on April field trips with his kids

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville

Next year they have 7 spots to fill with $22m.

Surely the prices this off-season won't affect prices of average players :laugh:

Congrats Montreal, you locked up the best goalie in the league for the rest of their career. Now you can lean on him to stretch for an 8th playoff spot every season.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Need them to be right where they are. 1st 2nd round exit, far away from the lottery pick where they get that center

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Next year they have 7 spots to fill with $22m.

Surely the prices this off-season won't affect prices of average players :laugh:

Congrats Montreal, you locked up the best goalie in the league for the rest of their career. Now you can lean on him to stretch for an 8th playoff spot every season.

I hate when teams do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad