GDT: 2017 free agent frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The difference makers you talk about are making big bucks. They'll cost a lot of currency to obtain. Not a problem if the cap works. Many people forget about the cap. The same one that caused this teams finish as a cup contender. Your core is made up of two guys. 37 and 63. A retool can help them out.

Trades can remedy cap issues. Not saying it's easy and that DS hasn't tried, but it has been several years of the same two needs not being met and look at what the Bs have to show for it. I won't go into the poor trades and signings that have backfired and not met those needs. DS is not a dumb man and hopefully will learn from his mistakes.

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
wow that's really prescient to post stuff that literally everyone also thought aside from the dozen geriatrics that still post here lol

Hey I'm a geriatric and I was one not crazy about Shattenkirk!
To me he is not as good as Krug and most on this board lost their minds at the Krug contract.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
wow that's really prescient to post stuff that literally everyone also thought aside from the dozen geriatrics that still post here lol

Not the best way to embrace the culture.

I have t shirts older than you.

And you I would say are in a minority bracket here regarding age.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I'm not saying I would have wanted the Bs to do that deal with Marleau.... or Alzner.

But Toronto and Montreal have both arguably gotten better heading into this season.

Boston obtained Postma

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Wow. That's a good move by the Leafs. Adding some veteran scoring. Plus the DoMo and Hainsey signings to augment their youth core.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I'm not saying I would have wanted the Bs to do that deal with Marleau.... or Alzner.

But Toronto and Montreal have both arguably gotten better heading into this season.

Boston obtained Postma

Montreal

- Lost Radulov (so far)
- Lost Markov
- Traded Emelin
- Traded Sergachev

+Traded for Drouin
+ Signed Alzner
+ Signed Schlemko
+ Signed Joe Morrow

Until they resign Radulov I don't think they really got much better at all.

Also when you look at it, they just got rid of all the Russians :laugh:

Toronto...A good addition but now they will need to make a trade, most likely JVR. Lets see how it all plays out first.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The rest of the league is ****ing stupid and the Bruins are doing nothing.

Given the choice, I'll take the latter approach.
Granted, they've done their share of stupid the past few free agencies.

Man, there are just no deal to be had.
Too many teams in the market for these players.

Silly season

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Montreal

- Lost Radulov (so far)
- Lost Markov
- Traded Emelin
- Traded Sergachev

+Traded for Drouin
+ Signed Alzner
+ Signed Schlemko
+ Signed Joe Morrow

Until they resign Radulov I don't think they really got much better at all.

Also when you look at it, they just got rid of all the Russians :laugh:

Toronto...A good addition but now they will need to make a trade, most likely JVR. Lets see how it all plays out first.

How is Montreal not better? Those three listed are all upgrades.

As for Toronto, it's only money and they are unquestionably better with their additions and you figure all those young kids will be better in year two like we are expecting ours to be.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure I like any of the deals our competitors have made in terms of value, but there's no denying both Montreal and Toronto have gotten better, as have other conference teams.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
How is Montreal not better? Those three listed are all upgrades.

As for Toronto, it's only money and they are unquestionably better with their additions and you figure all those young kids will be better in year two like we are expecting ours to be.

Long term Drouin is absolutely an upgrade on Radulov, but in the short term it's debatable however much Radulov is vilified he's a heck of a talent. And at the cost of Sergachev? Lateral move at best.

Alzner is not an upgrade on Markov, no way. Younger, yes, but we're talking about a guy who was WSHs 4/5 D-man here. All he's got on Markov is age. And is Shlemko better than Emelin? Not a fan of the latter, but I'd beg to differ anyway.

Based on roles, I'd put Alzner down as a slight upgrade on Emelin as a defensive D, and Schemko as a major downgrade on Markov as a puck mover/2-way D.

These moves by Bergevin smell of desperation and an urge to "do something". I don't think they got better at all. Younger (discounting the loss of Sergachev) and closer to the cap, but not better. What they still badly need is proper C depth, especially with Claude behind the bench, but they still have the turtleneck as arguably their best centerman. I guess Drouin might line up at C to start the season, but he doesn't exactly fit the Julien mold, does he? Bergevin will have to do something creative around Galchenyuk if they don't trust him, but I don't think he'll be able to with the cap as is.

Regarding TOR, I have no idea how anyone can think Hainsey and Marleau can be worth a combined 9+ mil per at this stage of their careers. And at multiple years too. Was there really that much interest in those two that the prices got pushed up that far? In my opinion easily the two worst FA contracts so far this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway