GDT: 2017 free agent frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
This year especially, I'm hoping Sweeney takes a page from Belichick's playbook and lets all the craziness sort itself out before mining for gold in the scrap heap.

...other than the offer sheet for Draisaitl obviously.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Not expecting jack **** but id be lying if i didnt say im jumping out of my skin for Sunday (your Saturday). I sense much disappointment though. Draft day all over again

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2017/06/bruins_gear_up_for_free_agency_tomorrow

So far the Bruins have been on the outside looking in at the player acquisitions that have occurred in the last couple of weeks, but it’s nearing the moment when they might roll out a new name or two.

Today is the final day of the open talking period between free agents and their NHL suitors before free agency begins at noon tomorrow. One of the team’s priorities, if not the top one, is a left-shooting defenseman. The Bruins are in the running on Trevor Daley, the 33-year-old defenseman who will go to market after winning a pair of Stanley Cup rings with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

But as of late yesterday, it appeared as though the Detroit Red Wings had become strong front-runners for the veteran’s services.

The Bruins would offer Daley a better chance at making the playoffs, but it will be interesting to see what kind of deal he gets. B’s general manager Don Sweeney must balance the experience a player like Daley brings against potentially blocking the path of a promising young player. Daley’s last deal had an annual average value of $3.3 million. The B’s have a handful of left-shot defensemen that could challenge for a roster spot soon.

Another potential fit could be Michael Del Zotto, whose cap hit with the Flyers last year was $3.875 million. He’s not the greatest defender, but at just 27 years old, he’s two years younger than Kevan Miller. He’s been working on a string of one- and two-year deals since his entry level contract.

The most sought-after left-shot defenseman is expected to be Washington’s Karl Alzner but, with this being his first chance at unrestricted free agency, he’ll probably be looking for more in both term and money than the B’s are looking to give.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Giving term and money to any of these LHD would be idiotic if it's more than 2 years and/or you are going to sign Chara to an extension with all of the LHD in the pipeline.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Kind of pissed that this is taking place on a Saturday.

I made it a tradition the last bunch of years to work from home and be glued to the TV and Computer.

Now, I have to deal with the wife yelling at me for not doing anything. sigh

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I just read that Elliotte Friedman reported that " close if not done" Daley is signing with the Wings. I hope DS does not " stand pat" and gets us the LW and LH shooting dee we need. Fingers are crossed.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I just read that Elliotte Friedman reported that " close if not done" Daley is signing with the Wings. I hope DS does not " stand pat" and gets us the LW and LH shooting dee we need. Fingers are crossed.

I remember an interview with Neely and he basically stated. The Bruins don't plan on being active in FA market but are looking to be active in the trade/market.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Teams can make announcements after Noon Eastern Time on Saturday.
.....though word will be leaking out long before that as in the case of Daley to Detroit.

DelZotto is an interesting possibility. Still relatively young, good skater, offensive minded yet improved in the D zone.

Making close to 4m now. I wouldn't offer him more than that and only for two years as our LH kids should be rounding into form by then.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Del Zotto may be the best fit. Cheap needs to prove something and if he can't he becomes the 7th defenseman. Wingers are needed more than defense. I just hope that Sweeney is going to hope Hayes and Beleskey bounce back

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

I made it a tradition the last bunch of years to work from home and be glued to the TV and Computer.

My thoughts exactly. :laugh:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I figure they got 2 - 4 year window with the current core, maybe if they are lucky five years. Thereafter it will be mostly youth leading the team unless they add players of significance via FA or through trades.
Biggest need is still secondary scoring - solidify the second and third lines.
Followed by a reliable backup goaltender.
And then added defensive depth.

Maybe they address the defense in FA with the thought of then using asset depth to address scoring depth through trades.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Buffalo's defense with,

Scandella- Risto
McCabe- Bogo
Beaulieu- Antipin is looking miles better than last year. Botterill seems to be killing it so far.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Buffalo's defense with,

Scandella- Risto
McCabe- Bogo
Beaulieu- Antipin is looking miles better than last year. Botterill seems to be killing it so far.

I'm not sure what is so impressive about that group.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto

Saturday is Canada Day. Just say you're paying tribute to your Canadian brothers and sisters by doing something Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->