2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
They all look legit, then they arrive to Edmonton.

This offseason is a good opportunity to revamp everything.

From scouting to development to coaches and the rest.

Our next decade of darkness is one wrong hire away. Unfortunately all the guys responsible for the last one, are in charge of finding the ones to fix it (assuming they can keep their own hands off the team).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Did he suffer another? Or do you mean the one two games ago where he got elbowed in the head and smacked into the ice?

Cause he was back last night and scored 3 points according to this thread

Just read on twitter that he 10 stitches, a swollen eye, and still got three points

Insane

In mother Russia, he concusses the ice.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
The nice thing is that he has Jones, Bear, Persson, Lagesson and Berglund ahead of him in the 'ready' department. Not saying they're all ready, but at this point they would slot in the lineup before he would.

Thankfully we actually have amazing depth on D with our prospects.

We actually have the problem of not having enough spots for him. AHL roster next year:

Jones/Bouchard
Lagesson/Persson
Manning/Bear
Lowe/Day
Samourukov

Benning getting dealt opens up a spot, Manning being our 7D opens up another. Curious to see how they handle this.

Reactions: Aerchon

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Tough SOB.

D0gYdHGU8AA2mRA.jpg

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We actually have the problem of not having enough spots for him. AHL roster next year:

Jones/Bouchard
Lagesson/Persson
Manning/Bear
Lowe/Day
Samourukov

Benning getting dealt opens up a spot, Manning being our 7D opens up another. Curious to see how they handle this.

Me too.

This year is kinda set. Don't imagine there is going to be much if any ahl guys getting significant looks in the nhl this year.

But next year... Everyone will need a legit shot at the bigs. Certainly will have competition for ice time. As long as some don't get lost in the shuffling I'm looking forward to seeing some of this AHL talent on the team moving forward.

Lagesson is the guy in that group I think can come in next year and actually help the team win some games. If he takes another step forward. Which all those guys need to still.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What’s a good comparable for this guy? A left shooting John Carlson?

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I was impressed with him in his brief stint in Bakersfield last season. He's made so much progress even since then, gonna be a murderers row of D down there.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What are some realistic comparables? If the first ballot HOFers/NHL D point leader ones don't pan out.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What are some realistic comparables? If the first ballot HOFers/NHL D point leader ones don't pan out.

I think Hampus Lindholm is a pretty good one.

Size and skating. Defense first, but with enough skill to contribute some offense. Good shot. Sneaky physical.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Jake Muzzin, if he hits that extra gear, prime Seabrook. 2nd pair stud who steps into the top line and 1st pp seamlessly

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I like this prospect. I agree with everyone saying he has a legit shot to be a good nhler. He is the type of defender I love. Good at everything. Respectable draft pedigree. Physical.

But the nhl just seems so far away right now and there are just so many levels he needs to dominate before we realistically start thinking about him being an nhler.

To each their own. Not saying don't have fun projecting a prospect. But at the moment he falls into the tracking well category not the eventual Klefbom or Sekera replacement category.

We have SO many good+ defensive prospects it's crazy.

I'm still hoping to see what Lagesson can do at the nhl level. Or Bear when he gets healthy and is given another cup of coffee. Or Jones.

I'm not a Lowe fan at all but we really have not seen much of him at the nhl level. He "could" be a serviceable #7 kind of guy still... unlikely but possible.

Every guy in the ahl is doing well plus a guy like Pearson (sp?). Plus Bouchard in junior as well.

It's a great group that I hope ends up with a couple true nhl gems in it. At least one or two seems reasonable.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
One positive and something we have been lacking for years is a deep defensive prospect pool. You can usually get a great winger for good defensemen.

I like this prospect. I agree with everyone saying he has a legit shot to be a good nhler. He is the type of defender I love. Good at everything. Respectable draft pedigree. Physical.

But the nhl just seems so far away right now and there are just so many levels he needs to dominate before we realistically start thinking about him being an nhler.

To each their own. Not saying don't have fun projecting a prospect. But at the moment he falls into the tracking well category not the eventual Klefbom or Sekera replacement category.

We have SO many good+ defensive prospects it's crazy.

I'm still hoping to see what Lagesson can do at the nhl level. Or Bear when he gets healthy and is given another cup of coffee. Or Jones.

I'm not a Lowe fan at all but we really have not seen much of him at the nhl level. He "could" be a serviceable #7 kind of guy still... unlikely but possible.

Every guy in the ahl is doing well plus a guy like Pearson (sp?). Plus Bouchard in junior as well.

It's a great group that I hope ends up with a couple true nhl gems in it. At least one or two seems reasonable.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think Hampus Lindholm is a pretty good one.

Size and skating. Defense first, but with enough skill to contribute some offense. Good shot. Sneaky physical.

I would be absolutely pumped if he turned into a Hampus Lindholm. Our D prospects finally seem to be something we can get excited about rather than the revolving door of Alex Plante's et al.

If he ends up being a strong second pairing D I think we should be super happy though.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I would be absolutely pumped if he turned into a Hampus Lindholm. Our D prospects finally seem to be something we can get excited about rather than the revolving door of Alex Plante's et al.

If he ends up being a strong second pairing D I think we should be super happy though.
Really the one thing Chiarelli did do well is make lots of good looking picks at D. Just takes those guys so much longer to show up. The fact that he helped bolster some of the organizational depth of the franchise is the reason I don't look at him with as much distaste as some of the previous GMs. At least he left something in the cupboards for the next guy.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad