2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
That’s what I’ve been hearing as well from people in the know with OHL prospects, he’s been flat out dominant.

Him and Bouchard on a pairing in Bakersfield next year could be dynamic.

“Draft and develop” our own, tried and true method. This is the deepest our prospect pool has been in the last couple decades.

100% agreed. Thank god Chiarelli left us this after butchering what we have on the main team. I stress over and over that the right GM can turn this around quickly with patience and shrewd moves. Some of our prospects will be contributing very soon. And with how deep we are on D, and thin up front, I'm sure there will be some teams who would gladly swap to balance it out.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Easily. At least 2-3 of these guys will turn out to be key players on our defence.

Bouchard
Samorukov
Jones
Bear
Persson
Lagesson
Day

If we pick in the 7-14 range we should be able to nab one of Philip Broberg, Cam York, Moritz Seider, or Victor Soderstrom as well on D.

I agree with you, but at the same time it worries me because the next GM will soon need to make some tough decisions on them.

For example, Jones, Bear, and Lagesson have one year left on their ELCs after this. For me, Jones has emerged as the guy we definitely gotta hold onto. He's a shoe in for 3LD when Sekera is gone imo.

Lagesson is kind of the odd one out on the LD depth chart. I don't see Bear winning 3RD over the competition next season - not because he's a bad player but because he has tough competition. In the following year when Bear would be ready (3 pro seasons under his belt), Bouchard beats him out for the job. I can't see Bouchard spending more than one season in the AHL.

What I'd like to see happen by 2020/21 (when they need to clear waivers to be sent down)
  • Jones steps in at 3LD
  • Bouchard steps in at 3RD
  • One of Lagesson, Bear, or Persson becomes our 7D, the latter two traded because they need to clear waivers to be sent down.
I don't see Bear clearing waivers, Lagesson might.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
100% agreed. Thank god Chiarelli left us this after butchering what we have on the main team. I stress over and over that the right GM can turn this around quickly with patience and shrewd moves. Some of our prospects will be contributing very soon. And with how deep we are on D, and thin up front, I'm sure there will be some teams who would gladly swap to balance it out.
Chia did have a plan and it involved building the D. Trouble for him is the organizational depth was shit when he got here and he lost value on too many trades with NHL pieces.
I do maintain that he left the team in a stronger position long term than when he got here, but that's a pretty low bar.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chia did have a plan and it involved building the D. Trouble for him is the organizational depth was **** when he got here and he lost value on too many trades with NHL pieces.
I do maintain that he left the team in a stronger position long term than when he got here, but that's a pretty low bar.

The AHL team, defensive and goaltending depth all got boosts while he was here prospect wise. So not all bad, but when he did bad he did really, really bad.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The AHL team, defensive and goaltending depth all got boosts while he was here prospect wise. So not all bad, but when he did bad he did really, really bad.

This is exactly it. Chia was actually at least passable at drafting, and was decent at the "small ball" trades (up until he was making desperation trades to attempt to save his job), but he essentially lost EVERY big trade he has ever made. He was the GM equivalent of "penny smart, pound foolish".

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
2018-19 OHL Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Best Defensive Defenceman:
Western Conference:
1. Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (34)

2. Jordan Sambrook, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (18)
3. Justin Murray, Saginaw Spirit (17)

Best Body Checker:
Western Conference:
1. Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (40)
2. Kelton Hatcher, Sarnia Sting (15)
3. Justin Murray, Saginaw Spirit (12)

Best Penalty Killer:
Western Conference:
1. Liam Foudy, London Knights (20) tied –
1. Ryan McGregor, Sarnia Sting (20)
3. Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (19)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Western Conference:

Best Body Checker:
Western Conference:

Best Penalty Killer:
Western Conference:

Look at how the votes aren't even close as to how dominant he is in his own end. Add the offensive confidence and this kid is the real deal.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
giphy.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Western Conference:

Best Body Checker:
Western Conference:

Best Penalty Killer:
Western Conference:

Amazing that he damn near won all 3 polls. Best body checker? I remember him blowing someone up, does he hit often? Hopefully management builds around our young D and doesn't deal them away for turd players.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019

Western Conference:

Best Body Checker:
Western Conference:

Best Penalty Killer:
Western Conference:

I have a feeling Oilers move him for a lesser Connor Brown.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Amazing that he damn near won all 3 polls. Best body checker? I remember him blowing someone up, does he hit often? Hopefully management builds around our young D and doesn't deal them away for turd players.
He hits big, hard and clean. Kid is a #1 defender on his team with 20 freaking penalty minutes. That's ridiculous.

Bouchard isn't much of a bitter and he has 40, to put it in perspective.

If both guys live up to their potential Samorukov - Bouchard could be an equally balanced top NHL pairing.

My favorite part of the poll results is that he destroyed the competition in the 2 he won

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
A better puck skills Adam Larsson would be a huge get in the third round, of course that’s pretty much of all goes right with him. I still see his floor as a valued nhler one day

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Doing the coaches poll since 2009 these are the notable top 3 defensive defensemen from those lists.

PK Subban, Erik Gudbranson, Dougie Hamilton, Scott Harington, Aaron Ekblad, Zadorov, Koekkoek, Darnell Nurse.

Not a lot of guys really but imo he is better than Nurse was at the same age

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Western Conference:

Best Body Checker:
Western Conference:

Best Penalty Killer:
Western Conference:

Awesome, I think we got ourselves a player here boys.

A year or two down in Bakersfield then he should be ready to be a full time contributor on the Oilers.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He hits big, hard and clean. Kid is a #1 defender on his team with 20 freaking penalty minutes. That's ridiculous.

Bouchard isn't much of a bitter and he has 40, to put it in perspective.

If both guys live up to their potential Samorukov - Bouchard could be an equally balanced top NHL pairing.

My favorite part of the poll results is that he destroyed the competition in the 2 he won

A Bouchard — Samorukov pairing down the road could realistically be a really strong middle pairing down the road with top pairing upside.

I think their styles of play compliment each other as well. The steadier and more defensively responsible Samorukov could allow Bouchard to flourish.

Those two could be what we thought Klefbom — Larsson would become.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Anyone see a bit of Dmitri Orlov in him? Both mobile defensemen who have big shots and are aggressive and can throw some big hits. (And they're both Russian).

Although I think Samurokov's a bit steadier in his own end.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Doing the coaches poll since 2009 these are the notable top 3 defensive defensemen from those lists.

PK Subban, Erik Gudbranson, Dougie Hamilton, Scott Harington, Aaron Ekblad, Zadorov, Koekkoek, Darnell Nurse.

Not a lot of guys really but imo he is better than Nurse was at the same age

IIRC Nurse was more dominant that year - he was putting up huge offensive numbers, carrying his team, and looked good trying to shut down McDavid in the OHL playoffs, no?

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Seeing the stockpile of young D on the team makes you wonder even more about Chias trades for Manning and Petrovic or whatever his name is.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Awesome, I think we got ourselves a player here boys.

A year or two down in Bakersfield then he should be ready to be a full time contributor on the Oilers.

He should play next season on the Oilers, top pairing 30 min a night. Throw him in headfirst. Thats how we do it.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Anyone see a bit of Dmitri Orlov in him? Both mobile defensemen who have big shots and are aggressive and can throw some big hits. (And they're both Russian).

Although I think Samurokov's a bit steadier in his own end.

Havent watched Samurokov much being in the OHL. I know the few games I have seen when Oilers play Washington, Orlov always impresses me. I like the way Samurokov is trending.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Seeing the stockpile of young D on the team makes you wonder even more about Chias trades for Manning and Petrovic or whatever his name is.
Why? Both trades were clearly attempts to shore up an injured blueline that was missing Klefbom, Russell and Sekera.

Obvious misses, but the intention is pretty clear now.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad