2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
One thing worth noting is that Samorukov is used to being the defensive guy on a pairing. He usually plays with Ryan Merkley, one of the OHL's best offensive defenseman - but can't play a lick of defense. The fact that Samorukov is able to stabilize a pairing defensively while still managing to contribute offensively and put up points is pretty impressive.

And it foreshadows a Samorukov - Bouchard pairing in the future. :)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
One thing worth noting is that Samorukov is used to being the defensive guy on a pairing. He usually plays with Ryan Merkley, one of the OHL's best offensive defenseman - but can't play a lick of defense. The fact that Samorukov is able to stabilize a pairing defensively while still managing to contribute offensively and put up points is pretty impressive.

Merkley was traded awhile back.

He's been playing with Sean Durzi for the most part now. He's similar to Merkley, but miles better defensively.

I'd say that's likely a big reason for the uptick in Samo's numbers. He's been able to take more chances with a D partner that can cover him for defensively.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Merkley was traded awhile back.

He's been playing with Sean Durzi for the most part now. He's similar to Merkley, but miles better defensively.

I'd say that's likely a big reason for the uptick in Samo's numbers. He's been able to take more chances with a D partner that can cover him for defensively.
Ah, thanks. The videos I was watching must have been from earlier in the year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Could happen if Samorukov jumps to AHL next year.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
He’s one of the top D men in the OHL right now.

Excited to have him in Bakersfield next year.

With how strong he is at both ends, I'd argue he's been the best in the OHL since WJC, passing Bouchard. I'm excited for our 4 OHL graduates to join Bakersfield next year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
With how strong he is at both ends, I'd argue he's been the best in the OHL since WJC, passing Bouchard. I'm excited for our 4 OHL graduates to join Bakersfield next year.

That’s what I’ve been hearing as well from people in the know with OHL prospects, he’s been flat out dominant.

Him and Bouchard on a pairing in Bakersfield next year could be dynamic.

“Draft and develop” our own, tried and true method. This is the deepest our prospect pool has been in the last couple decades.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That’s what I’ve been hearing as well from people in the know with OHL prospects, he’s been flat out dominant.

“Draft and develop” our own, tried and true method. This is the deepest our prospect pool has been in the last couple decades.

The last time the Oilers had this kind of defensive prospect depth, they traded them for prime Chris Pronger.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

I can see Persson either being our 7D next season or given preference for 3RD if Benning is moved.

Bakersfield's top 4 looks like...
Jones/Bouchard
Lagesson/Bear

Samorukov has tough competition in Jones and Lagesson for playing time. Stanton is on an expiring contract but Lowe & Manning will still be kicking around as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The last time the Oilers had this kind of defensive prospect depth, they traded them for prime Chris Pronger.

Woywitka and Lynch weren't in the caliber of Bouchard and maybe not Samorukov either. Jones has continued to grow his game as well while Lynch took a big step back after a wrist injury IIRC. This is by far the deepest that our defensive prospect pool has been in my 20+ years as an Oilers fan.

Reactions: MikeFLB

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Woywitka and Lynch weren't in the caliber of Bouchard and maybe not Samorukov either. Jones has continued to grow his game as well while Lynch took a big step back after a wrist injury IIRC. This is by far the deepest that our defensive prospect pool has been in my 20+ years as an Oilers fan.

Easily. At least 2-3 of these guys will turn out to be key players on our defence.

Bouchard
Samorukov
Jones
Bear
Persson
Lagesson
Day

If we pick in the 7-14 range we should be able to nab one of Philip Broberg, Cam York, Moritz Seider, or Victor Soderstrom as well on D.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Easily. At least 2-3 of these guys will turn out to be key players on our defence.

Bouchard
Samorukov
Jones

Bear
Persson
Lagesson
Day

If we pick in the 7-14 range we should be able to nab one of Philip Broberg, Cam York, Moritz Seider, or Victor Soderstrom as well on D.

IMO the guys in bold have top 4 upside. The rest are likely 5-7D at best at the next level if they get there. Regardless, it sure is nice having this many young defenders coming up through the pipeline and that's not including a guy like Kemp, longer shots with big upside like Kesselring, a solid pro defender in Berglund, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad