Line Combos: 2017-2018 Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dzingel is probably going to be out a while. He's still recovering from wrist surgery. Can't shoot a puck yet.

Dzingel had surgery? I completely missed that.

After looking it up, he apparently had surgery to remove a bone... wth, don't you need all your bones?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With Karlsson expected to miss some games, I'm wondering what we'll do about our D pairings.

I'd like to see Ceci and Phaneuf get separated to spread out the talent a bit more. I also think Harpur and Phaneuf make a good combo but Claesson probably has the first shot.

Claesson-Phaneuf
Oduya-Ceci
Chabot-Wideman/Boro

Biggest issue with Karlsson missing time imo is it really makes it unlikely that we'll trade Wideman or Boro leading into the season.

Now that I know Dzingel is out, some updates forward lines, assuming Brassard misses some games.

Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
MacArthur-Pageau-Stone
Smith-Thompson-White
Pyatt-Brown-Burrows

Top 6 is all about offense. We'll need to load up without Karlsson moving the play forward.

3rd line is a defensive energy line. Should be a strong fore-checking group that can defend well.

4th line looks like a grab bag at first glance, but I think it could find some chemistry. Pyatt and Burrows give Brown support defensively. Pyatt is pretty good at reving things up a bit, and Burrows has a great shot. Brown is great along the boards and can find his teammates when they get open.

Edit: Brown gets sent back down when Brassard returns. We try to trade one of Boro or Wideman when Karlsson
returns. When Dzingel returns, he rotates in and out with Burrows, Pyatt and White. Pyatt being the least likely the come out of the lineup.

Last edited:

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
With Karlsson expected to miss some games, I'm wondering what we'll do about our D pairings.

I'd like to see Ceci and Phaneuf get separated to spread out the talent a bit more. I also think Harpur and Phaneuf make a good combo but Claesson probably has the first shot.

Claesson-Phaneuf
Oduya-Ceci
Chabot-Wideman/Boro

Biggest issue with Karlsson missing time imo is it really makes it unlikely that we'll trade Wideman or Boro leading into the season.

Now that I know Dzingel is out, some updates forward lines, assuming Brassard misses some games.

Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
MacArthur-Pageau-Stone
Smith-Thompson-White
Pyatt-Brown-Burrows

Top 6 is all about offense. We'll need to load up without Karlsson moving the play forward.

3rd line is a defensive energy line. Should be a strong fore-checking group that can defend well.

4th line looks like a grab bag at first glance, but I think it could find some chemistry. Pyatt and Burrows give Brown support defensively. Pyatt is pretty good at reving things up a bit, and Burrows has a great shot. Brown is great along the boards and can find his teammates when they get open.

Edit: Brown gets sent back down when Brassard returns. We try to trade one of Boro or Wideman when Karlsson
returns. When Dzingel returns, he rotates in and out with Burrows, Pyatt and White. Pyatt being the least likely the come out of the lineup.

I'm all for keeping Brown like we have done to Chabot if he prove he belong at the main camp. But 4th line duty isn't suitable for him, bu i understand above that might be too much for him.

So if your idea was to become true, I think you at least need to give him PP time. That's his bread and butter. Than you put Wideman or Chabot at the blue line. But then i don't know how the PP1 and PP2 should look like.

any idea how you would do the special unit?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm all for keeping Brown like we have done to Chabot if he prove he belong at the main camp. But 4th line duty isn't suitable for him, bu i understand above that might be too much for him.

So if your idea was to become true, I think you at least need to give him PP time. That's his bread and butter. Than you put Wideman or Chabot at the blue line. But then i don't know how the PP1 and PP2 should look like.

any idea how you would do the special unit?

Yeah, if he makes the team for a 9 game tryout, he'd be getting 2nd PP time, 1st if he thrives.

Also, I think we have the depth on the wings to run two 3rd lines, so imo it's a misnomer to call it 4th line duties for him.

Speaking about the PP, I like our personnel this year;

PP1

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Ceci

PP 2

Smith-Brown-Ryan
Chabot-Wideman/Claesson

Once all hands are on deck:

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Karlsson

-Brassard, Turris, and Hoff are all good shooting options. Karlsson and Stone excellent puck movers. Brass and Stone could flip sides.

Smith-Brassard-Ryan
Chabot-Ceci

More of a puck moving bunch, but smith has a good shot from the slot. Might consider moving Chabot to the first unit to load up

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What about
3rd = Pyatt-Smith-Burrows

I get the feeling that Brown will be given a tryout while Brassard is out, and White will be given reps while Dzingel is out.

If we move Smith back to center, we don't really have a spot for Brown (unless Thompson slides onto a wing).

In an ideal world, I'd love to have the following while Brass and Dzingel are out;

3a Smith-Brown-White
3b Pyatt-Thompson-Burrows.

Problem is White and Brown are rookies, and it's a lot of pressure to have them on the same line. Flipping the centers gives both rookies vet support.

That's my take anyways. I imagine we'll see the lines go through a bit of a blender with all the injuries to start the year; Dzingel, Brassard, Karlsson all apparently expected to miss the start of the year. Tough way start.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I think we have a very solid team.

We have depth. It's not sexy at the beginning of the season, but it'll come in handy halfway through.

Especially when you hear fans of some other team complain that injuries to a 2nd liner and/or 2nd pairing d-man cost them a playoff spot.

At this point, Ottawa's critical players are probably down to Karlsson, Phaneuf and Ceci. An injury to one of them for a month or two would cause big problems. We could probably overcome any other similar injury.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
If we move Smith back to center, we don't really have a spot for Brown (unless Thompson slides onto a wing).

Smith said this week that he sees himself as a winger. If he is more comfortable at wing and the Sens have guys who can play down the middle, I'd say we keep him at wing.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
What the hell?

Why after a long offseason we are more injury ridden than at any point in the last 2 years? With more inevitable injuries to come in the training camp and preseason.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What the hell?

Why after a long offseason we are more injury ridden than at any point in the last 2 years? With more inevitable injuries to come in the training camp and preseason.

Huh? We had more injuries going into the playoffs last year. This is literally 3 guys who are recouping from their offseason surgery, which by it's very nature means that they were all not 100% at the end of last year and needed something fixed.

Also, how is this a long offseason? It's the shortest offseason we've had since the cup run in 06-07.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
What the hell?

Huh? We had more injuries going into the playoffs last year. This is literally 3 guys who are recouping from their offseason surgery, which by it's very nature means that they were all not 100% at the end of last year and needed something fixed.

Also, how is this a long offseason? It's the shortest offseason we've had since the cup run in 06-07.

Thanks for your response Mick Le Bot.

I don't know why people tend to forget the past so easily

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its good timing to start to have real prospect depth considering the injuries. Guys are going to push for spots which makes everyone better, thats great when you are missing a bunch of the top players from last season to start this year. (Karlsson, Methot, Brassard).

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Its good timing to start to have real prospect depth considering the injuries. Guys are going to push for spots which makes everyone better, thats great when you are missing a bunch of the top players from last season to start this year. (Karlsson, Methot, Brassard).

Hope you are right Bert, hope you're right.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Let's see how Drouin does with Montreal, its a different team than Tampa, the Habs dont have the same quality of players that the Lightning have. It will be very interesting how he handles all that pressure and expectation put upon him by the fans and media.

As for the our team, I feel very confident about the upcoming season, th system is in place, the guys are hungry, they had a taste of success in the playoffs and every players knows their role. The Sens will be a tough team to play against this season, I'm predicting a top 3 finish in the division and a 100 pts season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Let's see how Drouin does with Montreal, its a different team than Tampa, the Habs dont have the same quality of players that the Lightning have. It will be very interesting how he handles all that pressure and expectation put upon him by the fans and media.

As for the our team, I feel very confident about the upcoming season, th system is in place, the guys are hungry, they had a taste of success in the playoffs and every players knows their role. The Sens will be a tough team to play against this season, I'm predicting a top 3 finish in the division and a 100 pts season.

Watch Drouins points and goals from last season, he wasnt a product of his environment he was the environment. He creats on his own, its a matter of having a coach letting him play ala Spezza. Similar types players.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
To start the year:

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Brown-White
Pyatt-Thompson-Burrows

White is good enough defensively that he him and Smith won't let that line get buried, while still giving Brown a chance in an offensive role.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To start the year:

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Brown-White
Pyatt-Thompson-Burrows

White is good enough defensively that he him and Smith won't let that line get buried, while still giving Brown a chance in an offensive role.

Brown might be too slow to play center and may be better utilized on the wing with Smith or White at center.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
To start the year:

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Brown-White
Pyatt-Thompson-Burrows

What about Dzingel?

Hoffman-Turris-Burrows
MacArthur-White-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Dzingel-Thompson-Pyatt

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am shocked that so many posters think Brown AND White are both going to start the season with the team given Guy Bouchers history and tendencies.

What about Dzingel?

Hoffman-Turris-Burrows
MacArthur-White-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Dzingel-Thompson-Pyatt

Id say this is 100 percent the lineup or some combination of these 12 players to start the season as long as everyone is healthy. Id also bet a large sum of money that if there are forwards that make the team its likely Paul and or McCormick. Id like to think White starts the team in the top 9 I just dont think that Boucher is wired that way barring an incredible training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad