Line Combos: 2017-2018 Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Boroweicki's body is broken. The guy is going to regress big time and that's a scary thought because he's already garbage.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
So what did Ken Warren tweet today that got people's attention then was deleted? Sounds like it was bad news on the Lebreton front.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The classic "I can't believe how much money they got for being "fired" cries" I assume.

Nothing to see here then.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was thinking of our line combos, and thought maybe stacking the top 2 lines might be worth trying;

1a Hoffman-Turris-Ryan ~13.5 ES mins
1b MacArthur-Brassard-Stone ~13.5 ES mins
3a Dzingel-Pageau-Burrows ~12 ES mins
3b Smith-Thompson-Pyatt ~12 ES mins

This approach allows us to roll all 4 lines keeping everyone in the game and reasonably fresh. The downside is people will get upset about Smith on the '4th' line, but in this context, I don't see it being different than having Hoffman on the '3rd' line most of last year.

What I like, is it gives Pageau a bit more offensive oriented wingers to play with, while still playing a solid defensive game. In the even where we need to match lines with an elite forward (McDavid for example) Pageau and Thompson can flip, or we can reunite the Hoffman Pageau Pyatt line.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Brassard unlikely ready for October. Leaves Turris, Pageau, Thompson and maybe Smith or White (if he's used as a Centre) before we reach for Brown or Chlapik.

Gotta get the BB-8 and BB-9E for your Avatar!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brassard unlikely ready for October. Leaves Turris, Pageau, Thompson and maybe Smith or White (if he's used as a Centre) before we reach for Brown or Chlapik.

Id bet Nick Paul is the one who sticks. Opening night barrng injury outside of Brassard would likely be some kinda combination of these 12.

Hoffman Pageau Burrows
Dzingle Turris Ryan
Macarthur Smith Stone
Paul Thompson Pyatt

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
It's going to sound weird, but there definitely is some silver lining in possibly missing both Karlsson and Brassard to start the year.

In order for White to crack the roster at Centre, he would have been hard pressed to beat out Brassard/Pageau, and likely would have ended up playing his initial games on the wing.

With White likely getting the chance to start a C on the third line, we will actually get a better idea as to how far away he is from having a permanent spot before finishing the year in Belleville.

Chabot was likely to get a good look regardless of Karlsson not starting the season, but we may get to see him more on the PP and playing harder minutes to start the season.

Personally, I have the team lining up as such:

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-White-Burrows
Dzingle-Thompson-Pyatt

Phaneuf-Ceci
Chabot-Oduya
Claessen-Wideman

I think Boucher will want the young D playing on their natural side while they are learning the system.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

It's already been said that Brown will get a long look at camp. It's really not unrealistic to think he gets 9 games at least, especially with the Brassard injury.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Id bet Nick Paul is the one who sticks. Opening night barrng injury outside of Brassard would likely be some kinda combination of these 12.

Hoffman Pageau Burrows
Dzingle Turris Ryan
Macarthur Smith Stone
Paul Thompson Pyatt

IDK what your addiction with Nick Paul is, but he really hasn't proven he can play. He would have to have a massive camp to break onto this team over someone like White. He was pretty brutal in Bingo last year except for the last like 20ish games.

He is always dominant in rookie camps but when it comes to main camp he never actually stands out

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

For what it's worth, lost in all the talk about Karlsson potentially missing opening night was an update on Brassard, who sais he feels he's ahead of schedule. Presumably he'll still miss at least a couple games because the four month timeframe gets him cleared for Contact on opening night, but at least there is some good news.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
IDK what your addiction with Nick Paul is, but he really hasn't proven he can play. He would have to have a massive camp to break onto this team over someone like White. He was pretty brutal in Bingo last year except for the last like 20ish games.

He is always dominant in rookie camps but when it comes to main camp he never actually stands out

Paul certainly had a bad start in Bingo last year, but he also looked good at the NHL level in his call up to finish off the 2015-16 season. He finished strong in Bingo last year too, and worked on his skating this offseason, showing significant improvement in his skating at Dev camp. I'd say he's back to tracking in the right direction.

I think Paul could be the type of player to thrive in Boucher's system, but I agree with you that he's in a tough spot to beat out White for that last spot.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Addiction?

He is a good pro style player that is going to fill a 4th line grinder role. He is big and strong, great at getting pucks out and deep while being strong on the forcheck. Boucher likes these traits in a player and I think Paul comes into camp and wins a spot. I am not debating that White is a better player but i dont think the coach or organization wants to play him 8 minutes a night in that role. I personally dont want to see that i think he benefits more by playing first line minutes in bellvegas.

Id love to see White come in and win a top 6 job lighting it up but i am not sure he is that type of player.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Addiction?

He is a good pro style player that is going to fill a 4th line grinder role. He is big and strong, great at getting pucks out and deep while being strong on the forcheck. Boucher likes these traits in a player and I think Paul comes into camp and wins a spot. I am not debating that White is a better player but i dont think the coach or organization wants to play him 8 minutes a night in that role. I personally dont want to see that i think he benefits more by playing first line minutes in bellvegas.

Id love to see White come in and win a top 6 job lighting it up but i am not sure he is that type of player.

If he's this big pro style player why hasn't he excelled in pro hockey?
He has had stints in Ottawa and has looked meh.. If Boucher likes the way he plays so much, why did he call up guys like McCormick over Paul all year long?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think Paul is in any way competing with White.

White will probably be looking at a top 9 spot at center or RW. He could play 4th line but I think it comes to that they'd rather he play big mins in Bingo. He's looking to fill in for Brassard until he returns (possibly by bumping Pageau up to the 2nd line, and taking over 3rd line center role), or filling in as the 3rd line RW, pushing one of Burrows or Pyatt either to LW (and Dzingel out) or the press box.

Paul is probably destined for a bottom 6 role at LW, maybe 4th line center. He's competing with Dzingel who is better suited in a top 9 role.

Personally, I think we can afford to move out one of Smith or MacArthur. A LW depth of Hoffman, Dzingel, Smith or MacArthur, Paul, and one of Pyatt or Burrows (who are both natural LW) is pretty good.

Lets say we trade Smith;

Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
MacArthur-Brassard-Stone
Dzingel-Pageau-White
Pyatt-Thompson-Burrows

extra: Paul

Trading Smith would need to do more than just bring in futures, because his contract is pretty good imo. So, I suspect it would be done as part of a package to either upgrade one of the above forwards, or to upgrade on Defense. Smith is the type of player contenders would want, not so much teams rebuilding, so it's hard to imagine we could package him with Phaneuf or Ryan to free up space. You might be able to package him with Turris for a young stud who hasn't yet realized his potential; think the Seguin for Eriksson, Reilly Smith type of deal. Maybe for one of Carolina's young D, idk, but that leaves us without much in the way of current top 6 centers.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If he's this big pro style player why hasn't he excelled in pro hockey?
He has had stints in Ottawa and has looked meh.. If Boucher likes the way he plays so much, why did he call up guys like McCormick over Paul all year long?

Well he did play a strong pro style game when he was up in 2014/2015 maybe you dont remember? I am not sure. I think he is a little younger than the Mccormicks of the world and thought he had a spot im 2015/2016 and came to camp unprepared. When he deservedly didnt make the team it was reported he was sulking and had a bad attitude when he went back to bingo. So i think thats why McCormack was called up ahead of him. From what i understand he turned it around at the haf way mark and was very good his last 25 games or so then he was called up at the end of the season. I am in no way a Paul apologist but this type of thing happens to young players. He is still a good prospect and was a late bloomer to begin with, big players typically take longer to develop. So no im not giving up on him, he isnt flashy but he is huge, great on draws has a good stick and hockey sense.

The sens have him on the home town tour, its not by accident. He spent the majority of the summer here in Ottawa training and apparently is in incredible shape. I think he learnt his lesson and believes that this maybe his last good shot.

Thats why i think he has a good chance to make it, he fills the Stalberg role. This team needs more big forwards that can cycle and get zone time he fits the role. If he doesnt mind dropping the gloves here and there that would be nice too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well he did play a strong pro style game when he was up in 2014/2015 maybe you dont remember? I am not sure. I think he is a little younger than the Mccormicks of the world and thought he had a spot im 2015/2016 and came to camp unprepared. When he deservedly didnt make the team it was reported he was sulking and had a bad attitude when he went back to bingo. So i think thats why McCormack was called up ahead of him. From what i understand he turned it around at the haf way mark and was very good his last 25 games or so then he was called up at the end of the season. I am in no way a Paul apologist but this type of thing happens to young players. He is still a good prospect and was a late bloomer to begin with, big players typically take longer to develop. So no im not giving up on him, he isnt flashy but he is huge, great on draws has a good stick and hockey sense.

The sens have him on the home town tour, its not by accident. He spent the majority of the summer here in Ottawa training and apparently is in incredible shape. I think he learnt his lesson and believes that this maybe his last good shot.

Thats why i think he has a good chance to make it, he fills the Stalberg role. This team needs more big forwards that can cycle and get zone time he fits the role. If he doesnt mind dropping the gloves here and there that would be nice too.

Your dates are off, he was up at the end of the 2015-16 season, and people thought he had a spot locked up for the 2016-17 season but went down and sulked.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Without Karlsson & Brassard to start the yr. L. Brown could get a couple of games to start the yr. I expect that Paul & White will be two of the last forwards cut & Chabot, Englund & Jaros to be the last of the defensive cuts. Paul may not have proven anything yet but neither has White at the NHL level, it's anyone's guess as to who GB will keep & cut.

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
MacArthur - Thompson - Burrows
Dzingel - Paul - Pyatt/Didomenico (a vet that GB knows)

Phaneuf - Ceci
Claesson - Oduya
Boroweicki - Wideman/Harpur

Anderson - Condon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad