Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Look, 10 days ago, someone threw out his name unsolicited. Not saying to me it would or might happen, more to say the idea wasn't unfathomable.

Now, you have different people in the media with the 'drives the coaches nuts' narrative.

You know how this organization works. **** like that doesn't get out there, in multiple circles, unless there's a reason.

I still couldn't see JR pulling the trigger or even that strongly considering it. But, I also can't ignore the smoke they've let out there.

The smoke followed Kessel from Toronto, the narrative hasn't changed. This isn't something new that was just concocted, only the names have changed.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The thing is though, if you try trading Kessel now, wont teams be really scared to acquire him? He was already labeled a locker room cancer and then his new team is trying to trade him despite being 2/2....that must be a huge red flag.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Jake's not leaving Sid's side, and Hornqvist isn't joining it again if Sid has his druthers.

I wouldn't be surprised if we let Hornqvist play out his deal next season and then let him walk if ZAR is ready to be our net front guy. Horny is a warrior, but he's going to be too expensive as a bottom 6er, and it looks like his days of playing with Sid/Geno are over. That 4.25m will be useful to re-up guys like Guentzel.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
The thing is though, if you try trading Kessel now, wont teams be really scared to acquire him? He was already labeled a locker room cancer and then his new team is trying to trade him despite being 2/2....that must be a huge red flag.

Honestly if there is any truth to this, the team should actually just suck it up and keep winning cups until its clear he's got nothing left to help them in that pursuit.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The window for trades will go until the UFA market is open. That way teams can trade from a position and replace with a UFA. Like the Oilers did with Hall for Larsson and signing Lucic.

Kessel to Minnesota for one of Dumba/Brodin and one of Zucker/Neidereiter is the only possible Kessel trade I see that could make sense.

I could see others. :popcorn:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The term is completely irrelevant. A team will always be around to take it if things go bad, or they can LTIR for basically any reason. It's basically year to year for 5.75.

Yea but it costs assets to get other teams to take it and LTIR is still a handcuff.
Oshie plays a hard game.
It'll be sorta like us carrying Kunitz last year but @ 5.75M when he's 37/38.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The guy does not miss a game, scores 30, makes our power play balanced (with threats on both sides), scores clutch goals and is just about the most entertaining player to watch in the league, because he thinks like nobody else.

Sure, Kessel has warts. They knew that going in. But to think you can't live with him anymore after two Cups?

Make this stop.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if we let Hornqvist play out his deal next season and then let him walk if ZAR is ready to be our net front guy. Horny is a warrior, but he's going to be too expensive as a bottom 6er, and it looks like his days of playing with Sid/Geno are over. That 4.25m will be useful to re-up guys like Guentzel.

As long as Horny isn't with Geno, it should be okay.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The guy does not miss a game, scores 30, makes our power play balanced (with threats on both sides), scores clutch goals and is just about the most entertaining player to watch in the league, because he thinks like nobody else.

Sure, Kessel has warts. They knew that going in. But to think you can't live with him anymore after two Cups?

Make this stop.

Yeah I don't care if Sully dislikes him. Clearly they've learned to work together effectively enough to get us two cups. Keep him keep him keep him. Keep him.

BetterCallSaul

Feb 28, 2017
Honestly if there is any truth to this, the team should actually just suck it up and keep winning cups until its clear he's got nothing left to help them in that pursuit.

This. I couldn't handle a Kessel trade, unless it's for someone like Josi (which won't happen).

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
If you traded Kessel for the best D you could get and Olli for the best forward you could get we could come out ahead.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Make this stop.

C'mon Jags, you've been around longer than most here. You know how the relationship between what passes for Pittsburgh sports media and the Penguins organization works. They're lapdogs. If this **** is out there AND isn't getting pushback, then it's clear that in the team's mind trading Phil isn't a 'no go'. Doesn't mean it will happen soon, but the seeds are being planted.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
C'mon Jags, you've been around longer than most here. You know how the relationship between what passes for Pittsburgh sports media and the Penguins organization works. They're lapdogs. If this **** is out there AND isn't getting pushback, then it's clear that in the team's mind trading Phil isn't a 'no go'. Doesn't mean it will happen soon, but the seeds are being planted.

Bleep that. I will be really pisssssed if this happens.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I am not demanding Kessel be traded by any means for spite, but his value is probably at its highest now. I don't see him aging well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd be surprised by a Kessel trade this summer.

Should Sheary and Guentzel maintain their goal scoring and Sprong hit the NHL like we think? Then no. If you have a bunch of skillful goal scorers, then one of them becomes redundant.

Maybe Rutherford is toying with jumping the gun if the return is good.

p.s. Do we know who Kessel's 8 teams were last time?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You mean like for Galchenyuk?

Not necessarily 1 for 1, but something around that, especially when you'd add in the extra cap space.

That said, I haven't really thought about it.

LA? Another one I haven't thought about, but they were on his list 2 years ago.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You know, it is NOT easy to find superstars willing (and accepting) of taking a backseat to another superstar. Malkin is a prince for doing so for his entire career. Phil is in a PERFECT situation for him, as the third wheel.

How many superstars would accept taking such a mammoth backseat to Crosby, and still produce amazing points that lead us to championships.

JR should understand this, even if the coaches do not.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd be surprised by a Kessel trade this summer.

Should Sheary and Guentzel maintain their goal scoring and Sprong hit the NHL like we think? Then no. If you have a bunch of skillful goal scorers, then one of them becomes redundant.

Maybe Rutherford is toying with jumping the gun if the return is good.

THIS is what I could see and how it was phrased for me 10 days ago. Not as 'going to happen' or 'might happen', more as 'might toy with the idea'.

Remember too, if JR does it, it won't be in a bubble. In addition to internal guys to help pick up the slack, one would think he'll look to whatever the return is or free agency to help too.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was having a really good day until this b.s. popped up.

:rant:

Sorry Jags. Well, maybe only partially sorry . . . :popcorn:

Look, I dismissed it out of hand 10 days ago, but now the media this week with the seed planting with no push back from the club. How many times have we seen this play out?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Different matter. :laugh:

The person who mentioned Kessel's name to me mentioned that as a conceivable incentive.
When we traded for him, I always thought of him as an "over the top piece" and not part of the core. 30 could be rough on him if he doesn't take fitness seriously and his legs go. He could turn into Heatley.
But maybe the guy is addicted to winning and we ride him for a couple more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad